Power-user: how to do it? (multi synchronizing)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kaya

Power-user: how to do it? (multi synchronizing)

Post by *kaya »

Who can explain me how to do it: I like to sychronize my already backuped datas on CD with my not yet backuped datas on HD. Thus, all not yet backuped datas from HD should be saved on CD. Further, all corrupted datas on CD (no more readable) should be re-saved on CD if the corresponding datas are still on HD.

The problem is that the backuped datas are spread over more than 1 CD and the sync-tool can't synchronize 1 HD with multiples CDs.

Sure, I could copy all backuped datas from CD to HD and then make a synchronize between HD1 and HD2 but the copy process takes very much time and storage place if you have many datas.

Any thoughts for this problem?

The best would be that TC could cache either the left or the right result list of the synchronize process in order to use it as a logical disk-drive for another (following) comparison with CD.

What do you think about it?

Should be easy to implement, isn't?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

As I said on the German forum, you could copy the contents of your HD to a temporary dir, compare this dir to every CD and delete files you found on the CDs. Then you'd have only the files you haven't backed up yet left.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
kaya

Post by *kaya »

Yes, it's not a so bad idea but you must have the same (or more) free space on your HD as you plan to backup on CD. But normally this is less compared to what you have already backed up on CD (DVD). Above all copying HD-HD is faster than copying CD-HD.

Nevertheless, it were great if the feature (sync of a virtual drive based on a file list) would exists in TC.
djek

Another way

Post by *djek »

use checksums

[CTRL-B] Directory branch
[CTRL-A] Select All

Create md5 sums for the cd's and compare them to the originals

hkSFV can create missing/bad files after a check so you can quickly sort them out.
http://www.big-o-software.com

good luck
kaya

Post by *kaya »

Really nice idea but there's a rub in it:

I have to build a checksum file for the CD's and to compare it against my HD (as you described already).

The rub is, that the comparision will show missing files on HD! But i'm interesting in missing files on CD!

And I can't copy a checksum file of the HD to the CD in order to compare it against the CD :(

Or do you had another idea?

Thanks.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Why don’t you try CD-RW discs so that you can be able to write on the CD like a HD?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
kaya

Post by *kaya »

Why don’t you try CD-RW discs so that you can be able to write on the CD like a HD?
Just in order to write the checksum file to CD? It's a little bit to expensive compared to CD-R.
Furthermore, I use also DVD's to make backups and DVD-RW is quite more expensive than DVD-R.

Last but not least, the backed up datas shall never change so write-once medias are very well adapted and cheap(er).
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Sure, but still we are talking about the cost of an audiotape. That can’t be expensive! The price of a CD-R is cheaper than CD-RW but that doesn’t necessarily mean that CD-RWs are expensive. As long as DVDs are concerned, yes, prices are still high.

Any ways, I understand the lack of straightforwardness but in certain cases can be a step forward to a solution. :D
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
bago

Post by *bago »

Have you tried using the TempPanel or TempDrive filesystem plugins and copy there the content of your cds?
You can also mantain an lst (od Dir /s) of you cds so the temp panel always contain your cds list and the compare would be fast.
License #55385
kaya

Post by *kaya »

Yes, but the problem is that the sync-tool can't handle these plugins. Thus, the sync-tool can compare Directory <-> Directory or Zip <-> Directory etc. but not PlugIn <-> Directory.
bago

Post by *bago »

kaya wrote:Yes, but the problem is that the sync-tool can't handle these plugins. Thus, the sync-tool can compare Directory <-> Directory or Zip <-> Directory etc. but not PlugIn <-> Directory.
AFAIK, this is false. :arrow:

I use TC version 5.51 and I can start a syncronize between dir and a tempdrive plugin. :mrgreen:

Once you have compared the dirs you can change the destination path and do the sync to a local drive where "changed" things will be copied: you then can burn them.
License #55385
kaya

Post by *kaya »

Really? I will update immadiatly and test it!!! Thanks for this hint!
kaya

Post by *kaya »

It's true! I can compare Plugin <-> Directory!

I don't understand. There was a time, I couldn't do this!? Or was it another plugin (temporyPanel perhaps - no I tested it. It works too!). Or is it because I updated TC?

Anyway, now, it works!!

BUT: If I click on synchronize and after this on OK (in order to copy the missing files to the TempDrive) TC crashes:
"Access violation at address 100025E0. Read of address 00000130.
Please report this error to the author, with a description of what you were doing when this error occurded!
Continue execution?"

Idependently what I click next (yes or no) TC crashes.
Perhaps, the TempDrive-plugin is a little bit buggy.

But it's not really evil because you can copy to another drive and that works fine!

I've tested TempPanel too. This doesn't make crash TC when you copy to TempPanel.

I'm happy! Thanks for this great hint!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's true! I can compare Plugin <-> Directory!

I don't understand. There was a time, I couldn't do this!?
Synchronization with file system plugins was added in TC 5.51. Not all plugins work with it, so please be careful!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com