Error with Shift+Enter on Batch Files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:31 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 14-05-2003 08:22:43 +0000 FRANCISCO J. ARRILLAGA wrote:

FJA> The error do not appears when I use Shif+Enter in
FJA> the window panel from Total Commander, but when I
FJA> put whathever program in the command line suplied
FJA> for Total Commander.

First of all make sure there is CMD.EXE in your NOCLOSE.PIF as command interpreter, if you work under NT-based system. In some situation it does matter. And as comrad Jack noticed, make sure you put paths with spaces into double quotes - it's strange but a lot of people on this board didn't knew about this.
BTW, there is INI parameter "LongNamesToDos":

__________transmission_from_clipboard_____________

LongNamesToDos=0 Pass short/long names to DOS box when using Shift+Enter (0/1).

_______________end_of_transmission________________

As far as I understand it, this parameter should modify the way Commander transmit paths to command interpreter. But you need double quotes in CL for paths with spaces anyway ;).

FJA> I have used many programs and ALL program (batch
FJA> process) having a name with 8+ letters, executed
FJA> from the command line, with Shift+Enter shows the
FJA> message "bad command or file name" in the popup
FJA> windows of DOS

If you use long names inside batch files you should double quote them too. Anyway, show some examples, it's interesting situation.[/face]
FRANCISCO J. ARRILLAGA

Post by *FRANCISCO J. ARRILLAGA »

Thank you very much for your help. The problem is that in NOCLOSE.PIF I have used COMMAND.COM instead of CMD.EXE; replacing the command interpreter by CMD.EXE, the command line runs all the programs (both the programs with a name 8.3 and 8+.3). (I use a OS W2000).

Thanks furthermore for your suggestion of use " when the path or the name of file contains spaces: I know this, but is better remind this.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

FRANCISCO J. ARRILLAGA wrote:The problem is that in NOCLOSE.PIF I have used COMMAND.COM instead of CMD.EXE
:) So you lied in your first post:
FRANCISCO J. ARRILLAGA wrote:I have tried use in NOCLOSE.PIF the command COMMAND.COM and CMD.EXE, but the error remains.
? :)
FRANCISCO J. ARRILLAGA

Post by *FRANCISCO J. ARRILLAGA »

Well, I don't try to confuse with my first message; In the last message, I don't explain all the history: the complete problem is that I have TWO NOCLOSE.PIF in TWO directories (WINNT and SYSTEM32). I have changed the file NOCLOSE.PIF (in the SYSTEM32 directory) in order to use the CMD.EXE.

After the last comment, I have searched for all the files NOCLOSE.PIF in all my drives, and I have found the 2 files. When I erase the file on directory SYSTEM32, and I change the properties of c:\WINNT\NOCLOSE.pif for use the CMD.EXE, the problem is corrected.

I'm sorry if someone has been disturbed by this error (and for my bad english). :oops: :(