Wish: MUltiple contexts

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rbsjrx

Wish: MUltiple contexts

Post by *rbsjrx »

I'm working on three major web site updates which are facilitated by having four instances of Total Commander 5.51 open all the time. Worse, things come up where it's a lot handier to open another instance than to change directories in an existing instance, then change them back when I'm done.

An ideal solution would be if multple contexts were supported. Instead of having four open instances, I'd simply have four contexts to switch between.

For example, two of the instances I have open now have a local development directory in the left pane and an ftp target in the right. As I work, I upload files. Unfortunately, I have two closely related development directories, so I keep two instances of Total Commander open so I can rapidly update each. With a context switch, I'd be one click away from changing the source and destination directories together, and then back again.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Please check this related thread:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=28&highlight=panels

If this is what you need the developer of Total Commander has “promised” to look into this matter as it has been requested by many users.

Kind regards,
Panos
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
fnheiden

Post by *fnheiden »

As far as I understood the question, the problem could easily be solved by buttons on the Button-Bar or menu items in the Ctrl+D menu.

1. Button Bar

For project1 add a button to the button bar and enter
cd d:\dev\project1 to the Command field and
cd 0: to the Start path field.

For project2 add a button to the button bar and enter
cd d:\dev\project2 to the Command field and
cd 1: to the Start path field.

This example assumes, that the first FTP-connection is the websapce of project1 and the second FTP-connection the webspace of project2.

Now you can switch between theese "contexts" by pressing the buttons on the button bar.

2. Ctrl+D menu

You can do the same for the Ctrl+D menu via Ctrl+D, Configure, Add Item. Command and Target Path have the same values as Command and Start path in the example above.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,
~ Florian
Pradera

Post by *Pradera »

This is not really the best solution, as it requires changing the values of buttons/dir menu every time the directories are changed... It's good to hear Christian already 'thinks about it' :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Please also take a look at http://www.bearfacts2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9 .

Panos, Panos... you should already know where to direct people to... tsk tsk tsk...

;)

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Hacker wrote:Panos, Panos... you should already know where to direct people to... tsk tsk tsk...
I was never been informed about the existence of this forum!

It was probably mentioned during that month I was absent from the forum.

Well done! Excellent idea and very professional approach! No wonder why TCME was left behind! ;-)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Panos,
Oops, sorry, I thought you knew about it. It was already discussed in the old forum - we wanted to create a tips & tricks page, remember? Well, and this is the outcome. We (Boofo (Zeus131), Wouter and I) started but nobody sent any tips or tricks so we abandoned that section for now and I just stuck to my idea of a "personal" TC FAQ.

Well done! Excellent idea and very professional approach! No wonder why TCME was left behind!

That's only Boofo's work, I only provided the content. TCME, AddTime and ReDate are proceding so slowly because of my school duties. However, I am planning on releasing ReDate 1.0 very soon (I just need to put up a page, I already have the docs and everything zipped up and prepared ;) ).

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Hacker wrote:but nobody sent any tips or tricks
Roman, you can take these my tips if you find them useful (and if it's currently possible to add to that section (I can't)).
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

and if it's currently possible to add to that section (I can't)

Please read http://www.bearfacts2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5 and maybe send a mail there so Boofo and Wouter see it, too (it's time for Wouter to do something, too ;)).

:)

Roman
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Hacker wrote:That's only Boofo's work, I only provided the content...
Well done to Boofo as well but I was talking about the contents so… :D
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Hacker wrote:Please read http://www.bearfacts2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5 and maybe send a mail there so Boofo and Wouter see it, too
Done! :)