QUESTION : CopyHugeBlockSize

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MiToZ

QUESTION : CopyHugeBlockSize

Post by *MiToZ »

Since memory management is not that great in any Windows version, and it eats almost all memory for system cache while copying files, i especially like this wincmd.ini setting.

But, it only works on copy command. Shouldn't it work on move command too (copy + delete ?) ?

Thanks, MS
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It does also work on the move command! Exception: If you have a drive mounted inside some other drive, so both share the same drive letter, TC uses the Windows function to rename/move the file, and Windows itself will do the copy+delete...

Btw, I have written a Windows 2000 service which sets the Windows cache back to a fixed size every second. Anyone interested? :)
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Anyone interested? :)
Of course we are interested! Any code produced by the guru is welcome! ;-)

But I think you should start a new thread Christian in the forum as I can predict many replies out of the scope of this thread.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Btw, I have written a Windows 2000 service which sets the Windows cache back to a fixed size every second. Anyone interested?
Yes, I do, although I didn't pay attention to this subject before :). So I have several questions about it:
1) Is a gain noticeable/perceptible/estimatable?
2) Is such service needed under other OS (NT4, XP)?
3) If yes, does your service work under other OS (NT4, XP)?

Thanks in advance for answers.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

1) Is a gain noticeable/perceptible/estimatable?

I think so - you can try the cacheset tool from www.sysinternals.com. It uses the same functions, but only once when you click the button. But after that, it doesn't seem to have any effect, the cache starts to grow again. Can anyone else confirm this?

2) Is such service needed under other OS (NT4, XP)?
3) If yes, does your service work under other OS (NT4, XP)?

Not tested yet...
Erik_Rasmussen

Post by *Erik_Rasmussen »

Btw, I have written a Windows 2000 service which sets the Windows cache back to a fixed size every second. Anyone interested? :)
Hi Christian. Sounds very interesting; is there a link somewhere ? Have you made the interval (1 sec.) configurable ? Or can it be made configurable (to a higher number of secs., that is) ?

Kind Regards
Erik M Rasmussen
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's still experimental, and it's fixed to 48MB cache and 1 Second interval. I can of course make it configurable if there is any interest in this service. Did you try the cacheset tool above?
MiToZ

Post by *MiToZ »

I usually copy a lot multi-GB files and my system eats all ram (512MB) for system cache, so there is very noticeable slow down. I am now using CleverCachePro by O&O. You can set cache size, and interval to check the size. Copying between hard drives is now much better, as computer is completely responsive all the time (but i haven't measured speed change, so check it, if speed is most important for you).

TC plugin that could do that would be great.