Sync problem - does not make IDENTICAL

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

robtc

Sync problem - does not make IDENTICAL

Post by *robtc »

Perhaps I'm missing an option, but I can't get Commander to use the "Sync Dirs" function to make the directories IDENTICAL when using the asymmetrical function. Very simply, I'm trying to make a periodic IDENTICAL copy of a large directory. The first time I just copy, then subsequently I want to use Commander's asymmetric sync to make the left side the master.

This works fine with files, but if a directory is DELETED in the master, only the files will be deleted in the slave but the directory is not deleted. This makes the resulting directory structures NOT identical, but "synchronized" according to Commander.

Is there a way for Commander to DELETE directories as part of the sync, just like it deletes files?

Rob
Rob
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Isn't it the same problem like in: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=810 ?
Hacker wrote then:
It is the option called Right: Delete all empty directories. You can see it after you click Synchronize...
BTW: If the files are identical and the only differences are empty directories - the synchronization function doesn't show it :-(
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
robtc

Post by *robtc »

There isn't any option "Delete all empty directories." after I click Synchronize...

There is a menu afer I click Synchronize, which says
Left to right: Copy ....
Right to left: Copy ...
Right: Delete: xx files
Confirm overwrites
Copy NTFS permissions

Am I missing something? There SHOULD be an option, but in the general seetings for the app (not just in the sync menu)

Whereever the option is, this default setting is VERY counterintutive! I think most people would assume the default result of a complete synchronize is that the directories are identical (i.e. no empty folders in one not in the other).
Rob
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Left to right: Copy ....
Right to left: Copy ...
Right: Delete: xx files

Right: Delete all empty directories

Confirm overwrites
Copy NTFS permissions

It definitely is there in TC 5.51, it should be in TC 5.50, too.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
robtc

Post by *robtc »

yes, I had version 5.0, which did not have that.

DONE, I'm very happy now!
Rob