COPY/MOVE feature request

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jm

COPY/MOVE feature request

Post by *jm »

When you move/copy files and have duplicate names you got window with lot of options: overwrite/rename/etc.. It would be nice to see "overwrite without asking if binary identical". TC should compare binary files (that's already implemented) and overwrite (actually only delete source) without annoying asking.

Such thing exists in ACDSee (it's graphic browser but can manipulate files) and it stupidity to switch from TC to ACDSee when you have to move large number of files to folder where binary duplicates exist.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:16 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
jm

Post by *jm »

norfie wrote:IMO this case is a job for
commands/synchronize dirs...
how about synchronizing a folder with few files with a big directory structure containing about 30000 files? Why I have to wait until TC do the job and show me that on on side I'm missing 29990 files? I just want to copy some files into my garbage directory and I don't want to check each exact duplicate file manually...
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:16 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
jm

Post by *jm »

norfie wrote:1st: IMO your problem is specifically.
2nd: There is a solution today with TCmd.

Hmmm, IMO implementation of your wish is improbably.
I disagree, maybe the situation I described above was specific for me, but what if I only want to move ONE FILE to another directory and got duplicate names? I have to do binary comparing (a few clicks), dir synchronization (more clicks) or open filed and check by myself (time consuming). Don't you think that directory synchronization is TOO BIG THING for such trivial task?

If TC could do binary comparing by itself I would be sure that I can't overwrite files because they're different. Such option would be quite nice thing (rather general option than option for single copy/move operation). Plese make the work with TC as pleasant as you can.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:15 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

jm wrote:Why I have to wait until TC do the job and show me that on on side I'm missing 29990 files?
TC doesn't spend time on single files. To hide singles just unpress "singles" button in Synchronize Dirs tool.
Moreover you can select files/dirs to synchronize before activating Synchronize Dirs tool.
And do you so often need this feature? For example, if you have newer version of some file just copy newer one to older one without binary comparison, thus saving time.
pintel

Post by *pintel »

I agree with jm. I want this feature as well.
jm

Post by *jm »

Valentino wrote:And do you so often need this feature? For example, if you have newer version of some file just copy newer one to older one without binary comparison, thus saving time.
My case is specific cause I I'm downloading lots of files from comic newsgroups, use my own simple soft to organize files in subdirs based on filenames similarity and move such sets into main collection directory. I often got duplicates and don't want to click, click, click, click, click to use synch each subdir and don't want to synch all subdirs at once cause it's hard to keep control when you synchronizing 200 dirs with another 2000:)

As I said earlier this feature would help in normal work as well - you use TC to move/copy file and you got identical names - what do you do? Most people will choose skip cause can't be sure that won't loose something they want to keep and then compare files binary - if TC could do this by itself it would be great.