FTP to a unix HP-UX11 gives wrong date

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kirean

FTP to a unix HP-UX11 gives wrong date

Post by *kirean »

I have a problem with the ftp..

When browsing without yet having defined a server type I see following line for one of my files:

-rw-r----- 1 root sys 69024316 maj 10 2002 database.zip

When applying the definition string for unix which is included with the total commander i get the following data:

File name: database.zip
Size: 69024316
Date/Time: 2002-00-10 00:60:00
File type: 640
Errors: 1
Definition string: 0

Why is this and what changes am I supposed to made?

The definition string I have right now is : "pppppppppp !S* TTT DD UUUUU n*"

Please help me out here, or my employer will move Total Commander to the trashcan.. I have gotten most of the people ín my project to use the commander, and some really like it.. others are still losers :-)

Regards / Erik[/img]
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Kirean,

we have quite a bunch of HP-UX servers here, everything starting from 10.20, 11.0 to 11i.
We use TC a lot to connect to the HP-UX servers and to browse their directories.
We did not have to define a server type at all in order to get the correct file information.
So we use "Server type: auto-detect" and it works just fine.

By the way,
-rw-r----- 1 root sys 69024316 maj 10 2002 database.zip
is the raw format of our HP-UX servers as well (except that "maj" looks strange to me, it ought to read "May", I guess), and TC interprets this just fine when "auto-detecting" the server type.

Hm, maybe "maj" is the reason. Maybe your system has been setup to use a different language than English, and TC does not recognize "maj" as being a month name. Our servers use English as their system language.

If TC's "auto detect" does not work with your HP-UX servers and if you absolutely must define your own "unusual" directory listing format, you will have to do some experimenting on the right formatting string for TC, as described in the online help.

I.e.:
+ Create a new ftp connection
+ Select Server Type: New
+ Connect to one of your HP-UX machines
+ You will see the directory listing uninterpreted as the server shows it
+ Now select the template which matches best and make required changes (whatever this means in detail, I am not really sure)
+ Save the template under a meaningful name.
+ Copy the section with this name in wcx_ftp.ini to a new file.
+ Edit the ftp connection and select Server Type: "Import from file"
and point to the newly created file containing the formatting string. (This way you can use your own format string for several different servers without having to redefine it for each server.)

Sounds like a lot of painful work. Sorry, but maybe someone else has got a matching template for you and is willing to share it.

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
kirean

Post by *kirean »

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I have tried modifying the definition string but I don't know what and how to change.. I searched using google and altavista and havn't found anything about definition strings for ftp..

The problem is most likely a problem as you suggest with different language since we only have this problem for files which are created/edited in may/maj where the three first charachters of the month differs..

Any suggestions for different definition strings or do we need to change the charset for the HP-UX to english instead of our local charset (Swedish).

Best Regards / Erik Andersson
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

@kirean
Well, I do not know how TC interprets the month part of the filedate which Unix usually shows as 3-letter-string and which TC has to translate into the corresponding month number.
Maybe TC can only handle English strings? I do not know.
Might be worth asking this question to Christian Ghisler directly. He ought to know.
About server language:
Our systems all use English as the basic system language.
But our users who come from different countries in Europe run their terminal sessions in localized form, i.e. English, German, Italian etc. pp.. This is done by setting e.g. the LANG-, TZ- variables in the user's .profile.
As the ftp-daemon is a system daemon, it uses the default language, which is English on our systems, and TC understands the directory listing.
Sorry, if my answer is not too helpful.
Maybe there is an easy way which I just do not know.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

@kirean
Hi,
I just checked the only help again. :lol:
And there Christian says that TC can handle German, French and English directory listings.
So, I am afraid, that TC will not interpret Swedish month names correctly.

By the way, you can find this section in the online help this way:

Launch online help.
Klick on the "Search"-Button.
Search for "Define Server Type".
You will see the instruction titled "Define Server Type".
If you scroll down a full screen page or so, you will find the section titled "List of definition characters".
There you can learn how to define formatting strings for directory listings.
And there, too, you will learn that TC supports only English, French and German directory listings. Sorry. That's bad luck for you guys in Sweden. :cry:

Kind regards,
Karl
The Prophet's Song
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Actually you can create a definition string for Swedish:

From the help:

TTT=12 month names with 3 letters each
Allows the definition of foreign language month names. Example (polish):
TTT=stylutmarkwimajczelipsiewrzpa¥lisgru

So your definition string would look like this:

"pppppppppp !S* TTT=stylutmarkwimajczelipsiewrzpa¥lisgru DD UUUUU n*"

Of course you would need to use the Swedish month names as displayed by the server here.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

@Christian Ghisler
Thanks a lot for this valuable explanation. :)
As our users come from different European countries and as some of them run local Unix servers as well, I might face the same problem as Kirean some day.
I guess I did not read the online help carefully enough and not all of the chapter about "Define Server Type". :(
I saved this thread to a file so I will find it for later use easily.

Kind regards,
Karl
The Prophet's Song