WinCmd to TotalCmd Question!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

WinCmd to TotalCmd Question!

Post by *pdavit »

Being a bit lazy to try it myself and in order to prevent messing with my TC as it is now, I wanted to ask you if a fresh installation of TC without a previous version installed will “defaultly” prompt for a directory name other than [wincmd] (I presume [totalcmd]) and if the ini files have new names. Well, I guess we can always change the directory name during the installation but that’s another story but then again why should I if I’m not updating?!

The main reason I’m asking this is because I’m planning to uninstall everything even the ini files and start configuring everything from scratch as I’m currently using a backup ini file that was firstly configured a couple of years ago and I have reliability concerns as it is a long time of tweaking and messing around!!

Does anyone know if a full uninstall will leave any registry entries concerning the previous name of TC untouched?

Thanks in advance.

Panos
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
lzvk25

Post by *lzvk25 »

Although if you have plugins or external packers installed in your "Windows Commander" folder, I would recommend you to compress the entire folder.
Then install "Windows Commander" in the fresh machine, uncompress the backed up version, and then install "Total Commander". This way "Total Commander" will grab everything you already have installed. :)
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I do have a backup of that kind including from icons, documentations and button bars to pluings, addons and external applications and packers which is close to 7Mb (in TC terms that’s a lot!)

But even if this means I will have to do a month’s work to setup everything from scratch I don’t mind.

Things start to become messy and if there are any name implications I would like to sort them out soon as I want to create a new backup coz a hard drive format is not very far away as well! :)

> lzvk25
> This way "Total Commander" will grab everything you already have installed.

If the default folder name of TC is other than [wincmd] on a fresh installation and the ini files are different it won’t grab everything as you say. Upgrading so far was more than perfect but the subject on the table here is the reliability concerns as I said before hence the need to reconfigure everything from scratch. I need to know this two information (default directory name and ini file names) of a fresh installation so that I can plan beforehand my actions and the type of backups I will have to follow.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Panos,
The ini files have the same name.
Don't know about the install dir, but I assume it's totalcmd. You might try to change HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ghisler to let's say XXGhisler and see what the install program says. Then abort install and change it back.

HTH
Roman
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Thanks a lot Roman for the info. I'll give it a try!