Directory Focus Error!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Directory Focus Error!

Post by *pdavit »

I’ve noticed a strange behavior on TC when I go back the directory tree in full mode. By the way this is not new and it always used to be like this but it never crossed my mind to mention it!

Let’s say I enter for example a directory shown on the 9th row of my file list. When I go back TC focuses on the directory as normal but rearranges the file list bringing the focused entry on the 4th row from the bottom of the list. This behavior is for whichever directory I try to enter and then go back.

To be more clear if, for example, my TC size can display 25 rows and I want to enter the directory shown on the 3rd row, when I go back TC will focus that directory on the 21st row scrolling the list down (not visually but instant)! Whichever row you pick from 1 to 25, when you go back TC will place that directory on the 21st row. Or to be more precise to the 4th row from the bottom of the list. Row 21 has nothing to do with the problem and if in the above example TC could display 30 rows the focus would have been on the 26th row i.e. 4th row from the bottom!

Remark: The above behavior is only applicable if the list contains only directories. If the list contains even a single file and the user enters a directory and goes back, TC will correctly focus where the user initially entered the directory.

It’s not a real problem but sometime it’s a bit irritating as you expect to see the directory located where you first entered it but it jumps down almost at the bottom of the list. I think TC should focuses exactly where the user initially entered the directory as it already behaves when the list contains files as well as directories. It’s more logical and less annoying IMHO.

Note: I haven’t tested if the same behavior applies for lists containing archives as archives are treated like directories by TC to some extent. If someone is willing to test it he/she should consider two possible file listings: one only with let’s say zip files, and one with zip files along to some other files. In addition he/she should made sure that the list has enough files so that if the scrolling takes place TC could bring the focused item at the bottom of the list.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
chasbas

Post by *chasbas »

Uh oh Christian! Looks like you're going to have to release 6.0 a lot sooner than you thought!

;)
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

odd behavious, indeed. I never use dir trees, but I guess this needs a fix anyway. Maybe someone else could see if they can recreate the problem?
license #76904
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Let’s say I enter for example a directory shown on the 9th row of my file list. When I go back TC focuses on the directory as normal but rearranges the file list bringing the focused entry on the 4th row from the bottom of the list. This behavior is for whichever directory I try to enter and then go back.
There are dozens of different ways how a directory can be entered. Therefore TC doesn't remember the top item when leaving a directory. In most cases, it would be confusing if TC would jump down the list.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

TucknDar wrote:odd behavious, indeed. I never use dir trees, but I guess this needs a fix anyway. Maybe someone else could see if they can recreate the problem?
Never said I use dir tree. I clearly mentioned the use of full mode with this problem; unless there’s a confusion here with dir tree viewing mode and dir tree as a directory structure! ;)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:In most cases, it would be confusing if TC would jump down the list.
That’s exactly what I said! I didn’t ask for the scrolling. As I said the problem occurs when the list contains only dirs. If it contains files as well there is not problem which means that TC DOES remember the position in the later case!

The problem occurs either by pressing return to enter a dir and return again on the [..] bit to go back or by clicking on the directory and the [..] bit. I haven’t tried other methods but those two are the most popular I guess! ;)

I don’t know if I explained the problem correctly. Maybe the aid of captured screenshots can be better. I’ll have some for you on my next post.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When TC goes up a directory, it just reads in the new directory, then jumps to the directory (active item) and ensures that the item is visible. Normally the item would be the LAST in the visible items then, but TC scrolls up 4 items so the next few items are visible too!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Following some more tests I’ve noticed that the problem occurs if TC is not listing directories from the top but if the user had scrolled down beforehand. Oh, by the way the problem is irrelevant to the contents of the file list, i.e. if it contains only dirs or mixture of files and dirs… sorry!

To explain the situation the following screenshot displays the files list entering the BOB MARLAY dir. The file list is identical when I go back to this list. Notice that I’m in the beginning of the list as the [..] bit is visible.

Normal

The following screenshots display the list before entering the METALLICA dir and the list position after going back. It’s clear that the list has changed location. In this case I had to scroll down to locate the METALLICA dir as it wasn’t visible due to the long contents. In this case I’m not viewing from the beginning of the list but somewhere in the middle.

Before

After
Last edited by pdavit on 2003-05-22, 14:18 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:When TC goes up a directory, it just reads in the new directory, then jumps to the directory (active item) and ensures that the item is visible. Normally the item would be the LAST in the visible items then, but TC scrolls up 4 items so the next few items are visible too!
Ok, ok! Sounds about right and since it is intentional in order to view what’s coming up as you said I’ll pass! :oops:
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

Maybe this should be a new requested feature: the TC remember the visual position, and the number of visual position is according to the directory history list...