Dark mode reveals visual difference

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Dark mode reveals visual difference

Post by *wanderer »

I switched to dark mode (under Win7) to see what's all the fuss about, and here's what i saw: https://imgur.com/a/VSkumhP

A minor height difference between the buttons and the comboboxes. When DPI is increased though (to 120 for example), this minor difference is more visible and much uglier.

Of course the difference is there, regardless of whether you use dark mode or any other...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dark mode reveals visual difference

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately this cannot be fixed easily, because of Windows themes: Depending on the theme, there is sometimes a shadow below the button, sometimes not. It's impossible to size the buttons so they are correct with all themes. I could write code to manually place separately for each theme on XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.x, and Windows 10 plus dark mode. This would be a LOT of work because there are a lot of buttons, and I would probably miss quite a few. Also the user could install a custom theme which would break it all again.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Dark mode reveals visual difference

Post by *wanderer »

Hi Christian.

I have the default Win7 theme but i noticed it in the dark theme, in the normal theme it's not that easy to notice. In any case, i understand the problem so if you feel it's not something easy, never mind. It's just a minor visual annoyance, barely noticeable (in normal DPI at least).
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.