[TC 9] TC often lost my tabs

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

thomasmolover

[TC 9] TC often lost my tabs

Post by *thomasmolover »

as the topic
https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51399&p=349264&hilit=tabs+lost#p349264

the TC lost my muti tabs setting, but I run TC on the hard disk and would not restart windows. I only close the tc and rerun it, the mutitabs lost.

Lost setting is the active window before I close TC, other side windows tab did not lost.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC 9] TC often lost my tabs

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Are you running TC from USB drive/SD card as in the linked thread?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
siealex

Post by *siealex »

Is the tab set lost completely or reverted to a certain previous state? I've never encountered such problems. Usually such random unexplained errors are hardware problems (RAM, hard disk, power) and not related to the application.
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
thomasmolover

Post by *thomasmolover »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-02-25, 09:29 UTC Are you running TC from USB drive/SD card as in the linked thread?
No. My TC is in the local harddisk NOT SSD.

Other setting in INI configurs are be saved.

I restart TC without PC restart. The tabs in the Other side windows are be saved too. Only the tabs that in the active side before close TC will lost.

My OS is Windows 10, include LTSC and insider preview.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Where is the wincmd.ini stored? See menu Help - About Total Commander.
thomasmolover

Post by *thomasmolover »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-02-26, 09:49 UTC Where is the wincmd.ini stored? See menu Help - About Total Commander.
the INI file is in the TC folder, and set the "RedirectSection" key to the follow sectiong list, maybe that is the reason ocurse the problem?

Associations
Command line history
DirMenu
DriveHints
Left
LeftHistory
LeftTabs
Right
RightHistory
Righttabs
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It depends on the location of the TC folder:
- if it's in the root like c:\totalcmd this will work
- if it's under "Program files" or "Program files (x86)" it will not work, because normal programs don't have write rights there.
In this case, you can run Total Commander as administrator, choose "Save settings" to create the INI files, and then change the permissions via Alt+Enter so normal users can write to them too.
thomasmolover

Post by *thomasmolover »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-02-27, 08:04 UTC It depends on the location of the TC folder:
- if it's in the root like c:\totalcmd this will work
- if it's under "Program files" or "Program files (x86)" it will not work, because normal programs don't have write rights there.
In this case, you can run Total Commander as administrator, choose "Save settings" to create the INI files, and then change the permissions via Alt+Enter so normal users can write to them too.
I alway run TC as administrator, and the TC folder is "D:\totalcommander\app", the INI file direct to the "D:\totalcommander\app\userINI".

:( :( :(
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

thomasmolover wrote: 2020-02-27, 08:38 UTCI alway run TC as administrator, and the TC folder is "D:\totalcommander\app", the INI file direct to the "D:\totalcommander\app\userINI".

:( :( :(
To avoid running TC with elevated rights, if it's your own PC, you can add write rights for curremt user which starts Total Commander (or All users) to Total Commander settings files (*.ini, *.bar, maybe some others), it's possible to do via properties dialog of these files.

If you prefer to start elevated TC with your ini in different path, in Total Commander's shortcut enable Run as Administartor, and in the property field with Total Commander executable location add /i=your\path\to\wincmd.ini
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708