Selecting related files not working in branch view

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Olfert

Selecting related files not working in branch view

Post by *Olfert »

Not sure if it's a bug or simply not a feature but the option to select related files ("*.jpg>*.cr2") is not working in branched dir view (CTRL+B) - it only selects files in the main dir.

If neither bug or feature I'll propose it as one as I very often need to select jpg/cr2 file combinations and until now I have had to move all files to the same directory to do the selections.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Selecting related files not working in branch view

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Why should that work in branch view ?
There may be no relation between such files if they are in different dirs.
Also there is no logic to store files that way in different dirs.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Olfert

Post by *Olfert »

Why shouldn't it? Normal selection works just fine in branch view ...
And I guess we don't share the same logic then ... I'm a photographer and I count my files in the hundredthousands in a mix of psd, cr2, jpg, xmp and others not to mention video files and my mind finds it much more logical to split some of those files into subdirs based on types or clients or something else ...
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Olfert wrote: 2020-07-28, 07:51 UTC Why shouldn't it? Normal selection works just fine in branch view ...
And I guess we don't share the same logic then ... I'm a photographer and I count my files in the hundredthousands in a mix of psd, cr2, jpg, xmp and others not to mention video files and my mind finds it much more logical to split some of those files into subdirs based on types or clients or something else ...
Sorry, I can't follow your (for me) strange logic
and I guess Christian will not implement this in branch view.
Lets see
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

Olfert wrote: 2020-07-28, 07:51 UTC Why shouldn't it? Normal selection works just fine in branch view ...
Your other argument not withstanding (which has a point), this statement here does not make any sense. Allow me to explain...

The current behavior seems to not be a bug but rather the way TC works right now, so this looks more like a feature request/suggestion. TC's help file is rather vague about whether the file mask for the related files is supposed to support subdirectory elements/wildcards or not. It only explains two examples, neither of which concerned with related files in subdirectories. Which kinda, sorta insinuates that currently this is not supported.

As such, selecting related files works just fine in branch view, just like normal selection. It is just that a part of the relation is the "hard-coded" constraint that the related file has to be in the same directory as the file it relates to. That holds true whether you have branch view enabled or not. Enabling branch view does not prevent "selection of related files" work in the way it is currently implemented.

But enough comparing of normal selection vs. selection of related files.

The main point you are making is in my opinion a valid and sensible point for a feature suggestion. It would make sense to allow the selection logic to recognize related files in sub directories if branched view is enabled. Perhaps gated with a checkbox or similar to allow users to explicitly allow or deny such context/view-dependent behavior.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2020-07-28, 07:24 UTCAlso there is no logic to store files that way in different dirs.
Really? Then why many programs keep temporary files in separate directory?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Usher wrote: 2020-07-28, 14:47 UTC
Horst.Epp wrote: 2020-07-28, 07:24 UTCAlso there is no logic to store files that way in different dirs.
Really? Then why many programs keep temporary files in separate directory?
I think thats not related at all to the basic scenario discussed here.
Temporary files are hold in seperated dirs to handle clean up in an easy way, nothing else.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64