TC9.51: ctrl-c + ctrl-v does not copy a file by long 260+ path in the same directory

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC9.51: ctrl-c + ctrl-v does not copy a file by long 260+ path in the same directory

Post by *Dalai »

2andry81
I seriously doubt Ghisler will change the function/behavior/action of these shortcuts after decades of handing the operation to the shell. It would break so many things, most importantly user expectations who've been using them for so long.

Hence I second elgonzo's suggestion that this can easily be solved by a small script. I'm sure users can help you if necessary.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC9.51: ctrl-c + ctrl-v does not copy a file by long 260+ path in the same directory

Post by *tuska »

Dalai wrote: 2020-11-20, 20:13 UTC TC already supports long paths in the regular copy (F5) and move (F6) operations.
As Ghisler said, Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V/Ctrl+X is intentionally handled by Explorer (or the shell),
and that supports long paths only on Win10 (not sure which release) out of the box.

Regards
Dalai
With the Anniversary Update of Windows 10, you can finally abandon the 260 character maximum path limit in Windows.
The Anniversary Update will report itself as version 1607.
Version 1607 (OS build 14393) - Availability date: 2016-08-02
andry81

Post by *andry81 »

Dalai wrote: 2020-11-20, 22:41 UTC 2andry81
I seriously doubt Ghisler will change the function/behavior/action of these shortcuts after decades of handing the operation to the shell. It would break so many things, most importantly user expectations who've been using them for so long.
Why not just add an option to use internal TC copy on ctrl-c+ctrl-v?
Dalai wrote: 2020-11-20, 22:41 UTC Hence I second elgonzo's suggestion that this can easily be solved by a small script. I'm sure users can help you if necessary.
It's worser because a user have to click on a button bar or use custom key press instead of simple known ctrl-v press.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

andry81 wrote: 2020-11-21, 01:19 UTC
Dalai wrote: 2020-11-20, 22:41 UTC Hence I second elgonzo's suggestion that this can easily be solved by a small script. I'm sure users can help you if necessary.
It's worser because a user have to click on a button bar or use custom key press instead of simple known ctrl-v press.
If you want to duplicate a file, how would pressing Ctrl+D (or any other chosen hotkey) n-times to create n duplicates be any worse than pressing Ctrl+C followed by pressing Ctrl+V n-times? And if you happen to dislike using any other hotkey than Ctrl+V, have you already tried remapping Ctrl+V in TC (just to see whether a Ctrl+V remapping is actually working in TC)?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

andry81 wrote: 2020-11-21, 01:19 UTCWhy not just add an option to use internal TC copy on ctrl-c+ctrl-v?
The thing is: When these shortcuts are handled internally, the copy dialog appears - but that's not what you want either. We're running in circles here...
It's no problem to assign a shortcut to a user-defined command (see TC Options > Misc section), and I think that it also works with Ctrl+V (not sure because I haven't tried it). Such a user-defined command could execute a script as was already pointed out by elgonzo.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
andry81

Post by *andry81 »

elgonzo wrote: 2020-11-21, 07:32 UTC If you want to duplicate a file, how would pressing Ctrl+D (or any other chosen hotkey) n-times to create n duplicates be any worse than pressing Ctrl+C followed by pressing Ctrl+V n-times?
Because with the ctrl-v you still can select another panel to paste in.
Dalai wrote: 2020-11-21, 11:12 UTC The thing is: When these shortcuts are handled internally, the copy dialog appears - but that's not what you want either. We're running in circles here...
Not quite sure that you mean. For example, a copy dialog does appear for the F5/Shift-F5, but not for the ctrl-c+ctrl-v.
Dalai wrote: 2020-11-21, 11:12 UTC It's no problem to assign a shortcut to a user-defined command (see TC Options > Misc section), and I think that it also works with Ctrl+V (not sure because I haven't tried it). Such a user-defined command could execute a script as was already pointed out by elgonzo.
That would be an ugly approach to simulate TC functionality which already has to be a built in, without any dialogs and external scripts.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

andry81 wrote: 2020-11-21, 17:02 UTC Because with the ctrl-v you still can select another panel to paste in.
That you can also do with a usercommand, regardless of the hotkey. Whether you want to duplicate into the the same panel/directory as the source file, or duplicate another directory in the other panel is just a matter of how you setup the usercommand...
andry81

Post by *andry81 »

elgonzo wrote: 2020-11-21, 17:09 UTC That you can also do with a usercommand, regardless of the hotkey.
There is always be a corner case or other bad thing which you won't be able to resolve only with a usercommand. For example, a MTP device can not be handled using a file path because MTP has it's own API and not visible from a usercommand. So you won't be able to run a command in a directory of an android phone SD-card or on a Phone Flash storage. It's not quite relevant, but shows how the implementation would be incomplete or broken.