Ending the beta phase

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ending the beta phase

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Since bug reports have decreased significantly, I would like to end the beta phase and start with release candidates. This means
- no major new features
- contacting translators about new strings
- concentrating on finding and fixing remaining bugs

I'm aware that there are 1000s of suggestions, but the beta test has already taken more than 2 months, so it's about time to get the release out.

Please let me know if there are any urgent changes needed which need translation. I would prefer not to contact translators multiple times with more and more strings to translate.

Thanks for everyone helping with the beta test!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
opensourcecommander

Re: Ending the beta phase

Post by *opensourcecommander »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-05-06, 17:23 UTC Since bug reports have decreased significantly, I would like to end the beta phase and start with release candidates. This means
- no major new features
- contacting translators about new strings
- concentrating on finding and fixing remaining bugs

I'm aware that there are 1000s of suggestions, but the beta test has already taken more than 2 months, so it's about time to get the release out.

Please let me know if there are any urgent changes needed which need translation. I would prefer not to contact translators multiple times with more and more strings to translate.

Thanks for everyone helping with the beta test!
:lol: The main reason that the "Since bug reports have decreased significantly" is because smart people still use and continue to use old versions of TC since old versions do the job well and don't crash like never versions or are incredible buggy.
Majority have migrated to Open Source(s) alternatives, alternatives are plenty and rich featured(s) that will do the daily lite or heavy tasks the same or even better than TC and most important cost nothing !

Today TC is only used by people who still think that the earth is flat and those who are unwilling to see more than 2 meters ahead, or just by some fans that think of using alternatives the world would come to an end !
Funny even russians have abandoned TC and this do tell a lot !

:wink: Here is a small open sauce or free list for your pastas !

Double Commander
fman
FreeCommander
Midnight Commander
Multi Commander
Far Manager
XYplorer
muCommander
Q-Dir
Unreal Commander (free license)
One Commander
Tablacus Explorer
Explorer++
xplorer²
Altap Salamander
Just Manager
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Wow, he registered just to write this bullshit.
I guess he wrote this on a Windows with a pirated key
because all software must be free, at least in his world :)
I was thinking to delete the account but its to funny.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
TW

Post by *TW »

Funny even russians have abandoned TC and this do tell a lot !
https://youtu.be/t0hK1wyrrAU?t=24
licenced and happy TC user since 1994 (#11xx)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

opensourcecommander wrote: 2021-05-14, 05:54 UTC :wink: Here is a small open sauce or free list for your pastas !
Hey, what about ketchup, carbonara, Bolognese sauce?
Here is a really free list of sauces for pastas.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
jiangzhenjerry

Post by *jiangzhenjerry »

opensourcecommander wrote: 2021-05-14, 05:54 UTC :wink: Here is a small open sauce or free list for your pastas !
I don't mind people mentioning similar applications and comparing TC with them. In the past I already tried all the applications you listed. However, yours is not a good list and lacks in-depth knowledge. For example:

(1) Altap Salamander and Just Manager are already dead - they haven't been updated for many years.
(2) One Commander is still premature and does NOT run on Windows Insider Dev.
(3) XYplorer is an elegant and strong competitor of TC, but it's NOT free - costing twice as much as TC.
(4) DC is probably the closest clone of TC, but full of bugs. It cannot run on Windows Insider Dev without quitting itself frequently.

Next time, please come up with a better list before posting - remove those dead or pricey ones, and add new ones that deserve honorable mention (for example, My Commander).
Chainsaw

Post by *Chainsaw »

Horst.Epp you should delete that account.
I wanted to add to jiangzhenjerry's comment (who finally added something meaningful).

I spent months researching/trying file managers. Most are not actively being worked on (abandoned). A couple are ridiculously overpriced with an unintuitive interface. FreeCommander appeared really nice at first, however after extensive use I realized it was extremely slow/clunky and there are simply too many customizing features that have nothing to do with improving the user experience (just distractions). I never tried XYplorer simply because its written in VB6 (abandoned language) and the author does not seem to care (read the forums) that there will never be a 64-bit version because of that. I could go on and on but its a waste.

Total Commander seemed 'bland' for the first 10 minutes or so. Then when I dug for the features and settings I need, I quickly realized TC is an extremely mature, powerful, customizable (with things that users really need or always wanted), programmable, and well thought-out program. TC's Windows roots and focus is also very important. TC is very fast (its navigates/responds much faster than Windows file explorer), the built-in help is excellent, the email support is excellent, the forum is excellent, and needless to say is actively being worked on. Any serious user of any sophisticated software knows that you must pay to support the efforts of developers; their work is invaluable for us power users.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Chainsaw,
We don't ban accounts for a little bit of trolling.

Hacker (Moderator)
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Jon Canale

Post by *Jon Canale »

I use beta versions of TC frequently and find that they are generally bug free for what I do. Maybe I don't stretch the limits, but I'm also not so concerned about what fluffy colors are missing - function over form as far as I'm concerned. I have no interest in trying anything else. TC does everything that I need, and has for many (many!) years!!
pwservices

Post by *pwservices »

First of all i work with a lot of computers.

We deal with sell,exchange,repair,upgrade almost anything hw and sw from servers sides,gov,schools,uni,industrial you name it everything!
I can't give you a estimate based of our montly amount, except that they are many!

So from my personal experience and from my teams from all the departments i can make a true estimation of total commander usage, since we do keep track of
installed sw as per device. We catalog them and store them for references and preferences and some other things too like forensinc.
I might tell you all that total commander is invisible to all our customers, none i repeat none is using total commander!

Mostly i speak about MS Windows since on Linux or Mac we use different tools.
So on Windows, all are using windows explorer or better known for current generation as file explorer!

We have our own made internal tools that we can't name them since they are internal only!

What i can tell you that 4, 5 years ago we had a lot of windows xp mc's with installed windows commander or
as known for the current generation total commander!
But that was 4,5 years ago!

Now why do i write this, i don't plan to judge or to point something, each one is probably mature to think that in his own judgement has right.
Bottom point preferences are individual and are not to be discussed.

But, i am talking about statistics and those do speak the truth.

Let me tell you that the old mc's with windows,total commander had mostly something in commun, torrent, mp3 and avi!
All of them where just regular basic users.

Now, i myself use total commander version 7 only for occasional windows xp or windows 9x just for compatibility, and for xp is a bit more since many private entities
are not willing to upgrade since their internal software is made only to work and be compatible with windows xp and they are not even working in virtual mc's.
We have clients that are still using micosoft dos for their databases or windows 2000.

Regardless no matter if you agree or not, on windows, windows or file explorer is the number one in users preferences!
Anything else is just preferences!

So i think that post #2 first part is correct avoiding the stereo pasta types, post #3 is the worst one uneducated, post #4 personal preference
post #5 funny, post #6 somehow offended in his personal preference but still fair, post #7 too sensitive about anything, post #8 skip, post #9 basic user and he contradicts himself.
air

Post by *air »

I'm from scary Russia :) Total Commander is one of the few programs I paid for ... No comments more.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

pwservices wrote: 2021-05-16, 14:48 UTC First of all i work with a lot of computers.

We deal with sell,exchange,repair,upgrade almost anything hw and sw from servers sides,gov,schools,uni,industrial you name it everything!
I can't give you a estimate based of our montly amount, except that they are many!

So from my personal experience and from my teams from all the departments i can make a true estimation of total commander usage, since we do keep track of
installed sw as per device. We catalog them and store them for references and preferences and some other things too like forensinc.
I might tell you all that total commander is invisible to all our customers, none i repeat none is using total commander!

Mostly i speak about MS Windows since on Linux or Mac we use different tools.
So on Windows, all are using windows explorer or better known for current generation as file explorer!

We have our own made internal tools that we can't name them since they are internal only!

What i can tell you that 4, 5 years ago we had a lot of windows xp mc's with installed windows commander or
as known for the current generation total commander!
But that was 4,5 years ago!

Now why do i write this, i don't plan to judge or to point something, each one is probably mature to think that in his own judgement has right.
Bottom point preferences are individual and are not to be discussed.

But, i am talking about statistics and those do speak the truth.

Let me tell you that the old mc's with windows,total commander had mostly something in commun, torrent, mp3 and avi!
All of them where just regular basic users.

Now, i myself use total commander version 7 only for occasional windows xp or windows 9x just for compatibility, and for xp is a bit more since many private entities
are not willing to upgrade since their internal software is made only to work and be compatible with windows xp and they are not even working in virtual mc's.
We have clients that are still using micosoft dos for their databases or windows 2000.

Regardless no matter if you agree or not, on windows, windows or file explorer is the number one in users preferences!
Anything else is just preferences!

So i think that post #2 first part is correct avoiding the stereo pasta types, post #3 is the worst one uneducated, post #4 personal preference
post #5 funny, post #6 somehow offended in his personal preference but still fair, post #7 too sensitive about anything, post #8 skip, post #9 basic user and he contradicts himself.
This posting disqualifies your service whatever it is.
What a strange environment if your work is based on XP and Windows 9.
Try to use Linux its better for you and your customers.
And you also registered for this forum just to present us your expertise :lol:
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Post #10 sounds remarkably similar to post #2...

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Hacker
Moderators can check IP addresses for both posters.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Usher,
Not that I know of.

Roman