Total Commander CE/Pocket Suggestions here

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

one remove the row that has the 4 icons on it
You can remove it with the [A|B] icon button.
Second, on the Treo 2 buttons on the left and right I think are called soft buttons? The do work with PocketTC but why not give them their own bottum bar with just "File" on the left and "Show" on the right .
It's a complete waste of screen space! The buttons do wotk for the two menus, but in addition you have the button bar...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
WayneHathaway

Using Total Commander with WM 6.0?

Post by *WayneHathaway »

Will Total Commander work with Windows Mobile 6.0? If yes, do I have to unlock the device (it's a T-Mobile Wing)? Thanks...Wayne
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, it will work - and yes, you will have to unlock it if it only runs signed programs.
kad

Post by *kad »

I'm a complete TC Addict on my computer, so I HAD to use Total Commander on my PPC too. It rocks as usual, yet, as all fans, I have ideas on how to improve this soft to my needs...

First of all, I used TC on my WM2003SE/QVGA pocket PC, then on my WM2005/VGA one, and I must admit this software isn't as pretty on VGA screens as it deserves. The icons are kind of pixellized, and the interface not really bigger than before (as said by Cbd).

Here is my personal brainstorm about improvements that could be cool :
  • A cool thing would be a landscape support with side-by-side windows (not only top-bottom, or virtual), as Desktop PC's version, especially for use on a VGA landscape screen... Being able to change both font size and icon size could be great for this to look good.
  • Adding the support of a drag and drop to the [..] button would be very useful too...
  • Adding a first line with a "up" arrow and 2 dots (..) as on the PC version (to go up one level, drag & drop files, etc.) could be a cool this, for two reasons: to be more productive and fast, and for the user (used to the PC version) to be less lost in front of this new interface...
  • Add a synchronize function and a multi-rename one...
  • Add a "Open with..." feature to the context menu. Also a "send by Bluetooth" (not only irda) function (command 40032), "duplicate" (SHIFT+F5 on the PC version), "add to Start Menu", "add to left/right softkey", "compress" (not only on the file menu)
  • Add a "Quickview" (same as CTRL+Q) panel option, to replace the second panel, and being able to lister directly texts and pictures...
  • Add "back" and "forward" buttons to the interface.
  • Add a trashcan.
  • When you are on the property panel of a .lnk file, being able to change the icon and parameters, not only the target.
  • Add a (deactivable) status bar, with infos as number of files selected and size, on total. As the PC version.
  • Add a tab system, to be able to retrieve quickly one's most used directories (I know... There is a "favorites" menu. Anyway, it could be faster with tabs)
  • Add several other functions such as encrypting ability, formating, system infos, compliance with other compressor formats and plugins.
  • As many other TC users (I imagine), I really love the customization possibilities and options on Total Commander (PC version), and it could be cool to get more options than the size of the font and the language on this menu. For instance, color choice (for texts, background, selection, etc.), icon size (as said before)... Changing the default editor, etc. And maybe the ability to entirely edit the toolbar(s) (add/remove/edit).
OK, OK, I stop there.
I know it's easy to have ideas, but hard to concrete them. TCCE is wonderful, and has already an impressive advance on most Windows Mobile/CE file managers (for me it's only real competitor is Resco Explorer).
Those suggestions are just here for this greaaaat application to tender towards perfection...
Sorry Christian if I gave you some extra work ;)
ianl8888

Find Files

Post by *ianl8888 »

My "wish list" is very simple, and most likely already wished to death.

The "Find Files" option works great in actually finding an item, but once located you cannot copy, move, rename etc

Apart from the "drag and drop" that I cannot get to work for \LAN shortcuts (most likely my problem), I find TC a complete package.
ebik

Post by *ebik »

kad wrote:
  • Add a "Open with..." feature to the context menu. Also a "send by Bluetooth" (not only irda) function (command 40032), "duplicate" (SHIFT+F5 on the PC version), "add to Start Menu", "add to left/right softkey", "compress" (not only on the file menu)
For me it will be better if Total commander has support for shell extensions ( \\\registry\HKCR\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ ). I have there 'Send By Bluetooth' and also 'Open With...' as I installed OpenWith software for PocketPC. I want to have more than one action associated with some files and this seems to be the native way how to do it.
CDR

Post by *CDR »

:idea: In the Menu:
New File: (Save as Unicode…, Save as text… , Save)
To allow to store it outside My Documents or all folders
dss

Plugin suggestions

Post by *dss »

Hi!

First of all I would like to thank you for this program. I think it is a very good work.

However I would like to request two plugins, which would make it even better. These plugins are: SFTP/FTPS. I hope you can find time/will to do them, because I googled for days and I was not able to get a freeware solution.

Thanks in advance!

Bye
vanet

Post by *vanet »

Great app.
How about the touch or stylusless version? Finger friendly navigation buttons or finger motions?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, you can define a larger font and single tap start mode to use the program without a stylus, but you wouldn't have many files on one screen then...
totfun

Post by *totfun »

I'm using TC on WM6.1 Standard (Qtek 8500). As far as I know there is a context where TC "traps" O.S. backkey to use it to swicth to upper folder. I usually like that, but sometimes I do not...

Wish:
Is it possible to use LONG backkey press to ovverride this behaviour when I want?
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

CDR wrote::idea: In the Menu:
New File: (Save as Unicode…, Save as text… , Save)
To allow to store it outside My Documents or all folders
I realize this is a late response, but the internal editor of TC Pocket works well with a freeware utility known as "File Dialog Changer" (by someone who calls himself the "Mad Programmer"). It consists of two files that are placed in the Windows folder: filedlgchg.cpl and gsgetfile.dll.

Once your device is soft reset, most programs that have a file dialog, including TC's editor, will open and save files anywhere on the device. File Dialog Changer appears in the control panel as an applet, where you have the option of preventing it from changing selected programs, if desired.

In keeping with board policy, I'm not posting the URL here, but you can easily find it in a Google search.
ninodelsol

AppToDate support

Post by *ninodelsol »

It would be great to automatically download updated .cab files over the air with AppToDate.

Search on this and you'll see there is increasing support for widely used apps. I would love for Total Commander to be on the auto-update list too.

Thanks for the consideration.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Gerry Busch
Posting an URL here is no problem as long as it doesn't point to something illegal. The URL restriction in this board is applied only during the first few days and posts, to prevent spammers from posting their spam.

2ninodelsol
I'm sorry but I cannot currently support UpToDate or similar auto-update mechanisms, the traffic would be much too high. :(
Xorgeo

Re: Find Files

Post by *Xorgeo »

ianl8888 wrote: The "Find Files" option works great in actually finding an item, but once located you cannot copy, move, rename etc
Also it would even be nice if after finding files, TC would bring into focus the first file it found. As it stands now after a find, I still have to manually find the first file, albeit is highlighted.