PocketPC Version Final ?

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

defave01

PocketPC Version Final ?

Post by *defave01 »

Wird die Beta auch mal den status Final erreichen ?

Wird die PocketPC Version überhaupt weiterentwickelt ?

Würde das Programm gerne auf meinem Treo750v mit WM6 nutzen.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Wird die Beta auch mal den status Final erreichen ?
Das hoffe ich schon.
Wird die PocketPC Version überhaupt weiterentwickelt ?
Ja, wird sie - es dauert leider nur sehr lange, weil ich deutlich weniger Bugreports und Antworten auf meine Nachfragen erhalte als bei der Windows-Version.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Gerry Busch

PocketPC Version Final ?

Post by *Gerry Busch »

es dauert leider nur sehr lange, weil ich deutlich weniger Bugreports und Antworten auf meine Nachfragen erhalte als bei der Windows-Version.
I haven't run into any significant issues in 2.5 beta 3. The only tweaks I'd like to see are:

1) The option of increasing the timeout interval when waiting for an FTP login response. My ISP's server routinely takes from 30 to 35 seconds after connecting to respond to a login request, so I can't use TC Pocket's nice FTP plugin. It works fine with other servers, however.

2) The option of not displaying files which have the hidden attribute.

3) The option of disallowing deletion of read-only files.

Note the word "option". Users should be able to leave things as they are, if so desired.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Gerry Busch
1. I have checked my code - TC/CE does NOT have any timeout in the Connect() function. I'm creating a background thread, which then callc Connect() and waits forever. If the user clicks on Abort, the connection attempt isn't aborted either, TC just ignores the thread. So apparently there must be some Windows CE timeout inside the Connect() function which I cannot control. :(

2. Nice idea, but unfortunately I'm lacking screen space to show another option. :(

3. Indeed the read only attribute is currently ignored, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

ghisler(Author) wrote:1. Apparently there must be some Windows CE timeout inside the Connect() function which I cannot control.
I'll do some exploring and see if there's a registry tweak for that. At any rate, the timeout doesn't affect my alternate FTP application, "GetIt FTP".
2. Nice idea, but unfortunately I'm lacking screen space to show another option.
I thought perhaps the option could appear in a single line in the "Show" menu, directly below or above "Hide files in ROM" -- i.e., "Display hidden files" -- and could be toggled in the same manner.
3. Indeed the read only attribute is currently ignored, sorry.
I inadvertently tried to add some files to a read-only Zip archive, and noticed that instead of issuing a warning, TC created an updated Zip with ".new" appended to the file name. That made sense, actually. ;-)
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

Regarding the FTP login timeout discussed above, I just discovered the following rather odd work-around:

I switched TC into dual-window mode and started the FTP connection for the slow server. Then I immediately dragged the progress dialog box out of the way and restarted the same connection in the other window before the first connection had timed out. Somehow this forced the connection to stay open longer, and TC logged me in successfully! :shock:
Bandung

Post by *Bandung »

There still remains the problem that we can not replace the built-in notepad viewer with another programme. For example, I like to use Vim as my text editor but when I click on a text file and have it launched into Vim, the application doesn't see the file because of the space within \Storage Card\My Documents\my.txt

We have tried tweaking the registry entries for Total Commander but to no avail. For some reason, Total Commander doesn't properly quote a file name with spaces.
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

Bandung wrote:I like to use Vim as my text editor but when I click on a text file and have it launched into Vim, the application doesn't see the file because of the space within \Storage Card\My Documents\my.txt

We have tried tweaking the registry entries for Total Commander but to no avail. For some reason, Total Commander doesn't properly quote a file name with spaces.
Some applications look for quotes around the parameters passed to them, but some don't. Word Mobile, for example, doesn't, and can be substituted for TC's built-in editor. I hate Word, however, and have found another one that works without quotes. It's a freeware text editor called MADE (http://www.flinkware.com/). It will edit files of unlimited size, and more than one at a time. The catch, however, is that with line wrap selected, it wraps its lines precisely at the window margin, often splitting words in the process.

Another solution is to leave TC's built-in editor button unchanged, and create your own separate button on the toolbar for the editor of your choice, specifying the command parameters in quotes, like this:

"%P%N"
Bandung

Post by *Bandung »

Using the "creating your own special button" trick worked like a charm! I am truly greatful for that capability. It permits me to launch spreadsheets in either SpreadCE or PlanMaker for example, as well as using my favorite editor Vim.

I too, strongly dislike the MS pocket word application so I will give MADE a try as well.

Many, many thanks! I've been suffering for so long without the capability to simply select a file and have it inserted into the application of my choice, rather than on the basis of the file extension.
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

Bandung wrote:It permits me to launch spreadsheets in either SpreadCE or PlanMaker for example, as well as using my favorite editor Vim.
I'm not familiar with Vim. A visit to their website left me totally confused, because I wasn't sure which of the many file archives for VimCe to download. I have no way of opening .gz archives, anyway.
I too, strongly dislike the MS pocket word application so I will give MADE a try as well.
Word has a bug in it that causes it not to fully terminate when you open a file by association rather than through Word's file list. The next time Word starts up, it opens that file and expects you to save it, even if it wasn't modified. In fact, if the file was moved or deleted in the meantime, Word will annoy you with an error report.
I've been suffering for so long without the capability to simply select a file and have it inserted into the application of my choice, rather than on the basis of the file extension.
Hou Ming's File Explorer Extension adds some useful items to the standard File Explorer, including an Open With dialogue that presents you with a list of all your installed programs. Total Commander, even without that function, is a far better file manager, of course.