purchase which new pocket PC (without phone)?

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nn1k3

purchase which new pocket PC (without phone)?

Post by *nn1k3 »

My Palm is dying, and I might replace it with a pocket PC. Which brand or model works well with TC? thank you -Mike (USA)

FYI
- I don't think I want phone capability - keep the phone simple, light, rugged, best voice quality.
- I didn't see an earlier discussion on this topic. I searched for "hardware" and "purchase" with no luck.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2nn1k3
I think you use wrong forum for such questions...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC Pocket works best on those devices which have a touch screen. Furthermore, the Windows Smartphone operating system does not support to access other computers via UNC paths (\\Server\share). If you need to send files via Bluetooth, you should currently get a device with the Microsoft bluetooth stack.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
nn1k3

Post by *nn1k3 »

Just to be sure, would this be a good choice:

iPAQ 11x Classic (~$300)
- Processor Marvell PXA310, 624 MHz
- Operating system Microsoft Windows Mobile 6 Classic
- Display 3.5" transflective TFT RGB color 240 x 320 pixel touch screen with LED backlight
- Integrated wireless Integrated WiFi - 802.11 b/g with WPA2 security1,4, Integrated Bluetooth v2.0 with EDR1

FYI I did mention that I only want a PDA, not a phone.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can find a nice review here:
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13511

Sadly it uses the Broadcom Bluetooth stack, and doesn't support infrared, so you couldn't use Total Commander Pocket to send files to other devices. I have written an experimental program to send files via the Broadcom Bluetooth stack, but so far no one has tested it, so it's unclear whether it will ever be integrated into TC Pocket.
nn1k3

Post by *nn1k3 »

I want to buy a PDA that is a Pocket PC Classic (Classic = without phone) that works well with "Total Commander for Pocket PC."

Windows PDAs without a phone are getting scarce because they are becoming less popular. The iPAQ 11x and 21x are still being made for now. But you pointed out a problem with the iPAQ 11x. If that is not good enough, what is?

I'm stuck. I cannot figure out which PDA will work. Please name a few models. (If one is no longer made, I will try to find it used.)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It really depends on your needs. When I bought my last PocketPC, I had the following requirements:
- Windows Mobile 5 or newer
- SD-Card slot
- CompactFlash slot (for Ethernet card)
- Microsoft Bluetooth stack
- a good screen, if possible with VGA resolution
- replaceable battery

The best device with these specs is the Dell Axim X51V. Unfortunately it's no longer produced, so I had to buy it on Ricardo (a Swiss auction platform similar to e-bay). But your needs may be completely different. You probably don't need the CompactFlash slot, VGA screen, and replaceable battery, so you have a much larger choice of devices.

Just Google a bit, I had to do this too - I can't save you from that work because your needs are certainly different than mine.
nn1k3

Post by *nn1k3 »

Christian, thanks for your helpful advice and patience, but I was not asking what to look for in a PDA - I was only asking what to look for in a PDA that is relevant to TC.

You mentioned a Dell Axim, but as far as I can tell it does not have a touchsreen, so cannot make the best use of TC. I will do my homework and hopefully find a new or used PDA with:
- touchsreen
- Win mobile 6 classic (mobile 5 does not support touchscreen, I think. ?)
- microsoft version of bluetooth
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Of course it has a touch screen! All PocketPC devices have one, just the Smartphone devices don't.
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The best device with these specs is the Dell Axim X51V. Unfortunately it's no longer produced, so I had to buy it on Ricardo (a Swiss auction platform similar to e-bay).
It certainly is a shame. Only a few months after I bought my x51v, I recommended it to several people, but it was already off the market.

I wrote some feedback to Dell quite some time ago, to tell them that I thought discontinuing the entire Axim line was a bad marketing decision on their part. The products had received excellent reviews, and were very popular. My x51v has served me very well over the past couple of years. It has never given me a moment of trouble, and runs TC Pocket very smoothly.
scorpio_cz

Post by *scorpio_cz »

I bought iPAQ 214, I believe it's a good choice.

It has 4'' display with VGA resolution, both slots SD/SDHC (max 32GB) and CF (max. 32GB), fast CPU.
256MB ROM, 128MB RAM, and with an additional cable, it has USB host, which is also handy :lol:

About the BT stack from Broadcom, I am now trying to help Mr. Ghisler to test BT transport modules to include the Broadcom BT stack support to the next version of TC Pocket.

Except of this (currently missing "send by bluetooth") the TC Pocket works great on the iPAQ 214.
tryforsure

Post by *tryforsure »

scorpio_cz wrote:I bought iPAQ 214, I believe it's a good choice.

It has 4'' display with VGA resolution, both slots SD/SDHC (max 32GB) and CF (max. 32GB), fast CPU.
256MB ROM, 128MB RAM, and with an additional cable, it has USB host, which is also handy :lol:
I'd like to pip in that I recently purchased this device as well and i can confirm it is a excellent device. no phone in sight, well except when too far away from a hotspot. a great big vga screen, nice for ebook reading.
only problems with it are; the sound from internal speaker could be a bit louder and under utilisation of the big 4" screen. ;(
VicDelmonte

Post by *VicDelmonte »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You can find a nice review here:
-

Sadly it uses the Broadcom Bluetooth stack, and doesn't support infrared, so you couldn't use Total Commander Pocket to send files to other devices. I have written an experimental program to send files via the Broadcom Bluetooth stack, but so far no one has tested it, so it's unclear whether it will ever be integrated into TC Pocket.
Did the program ever get more testing?
Cheers,
Vic
Phone Service
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually yes, the Broadcom Bluetooth send function is part of TC Pocket now.