Strange Characters on move/copy

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rtankersley

Strange Characters on move/copy

Post by *rtankersley »

I am running TC on a Samsung i760 with WM 6. I just downloade 2.51 in order to check for correction of an issue I have had for several releases.

If I highlight a file, click move\copy the next screen looks good. If I then select 'tree' and then select a folder then I see \foldername\000000000C where the zeroes are really square boxes. I can then edit the path to delete the boxes. After that the move or copy works fine.
Robert Tankersley
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this problem with Windows Mobile 5 or older - it must be a bug of WM6. I will try to reproduce it in a debugger. Instead of these boxes, you should actually get *.* behind the path...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Wattnu

Strange Characters... Found some, too

Post by *Wattnu »

Just bought a HP 214. No other programs loaded except TC 2.5.1. I had those little squares ( * ) as rtankersley described it above at different places, too, for ex.:

\Windows\Startmenü\Programme\" Messenger.lnk" >Eigenschaften >Verknüpfung " \Windows\WLMMessenger.exe** " and in the properties of some more links.

I never saw it with my HP h2210 as I already wrote in this thread " Total Commander + strange characters in copy/move dialog " over at the Lakeridge Software forum.

I hope it helps a bit to track it down.
HP 214
(WM 6 Classic / ROM 1.00.12-539-GER)
HP h2210
(WM2003 / ROM 1.10.07 GER)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could you post the contents of this lnk file, please? You can simply open it in the editor, it's a plain text (Unicode) file.
Wattnu

Post by *Wattnu »

Shure, the content is: 25#\Windows\WLMMessenger.exe

Edit:

Just found out that the squares don´t appear behind the address string if the link file content has quotes, for ex.:

23#"\Windows\BTPhoneManager.exe"

My "own" quotes in my very first post above are a bit irritating now, compared to the file contents, please don´t mind it.
HP 214
HP h2210
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for your tests. I will check whether the Windows function to resolve the link returns invalid data when the quotes are missing. How were these links created? By an installer, or some other program?
Wattnu

Post by *Wattnu »

You´re welcome. I´m using TC for PPCs for quite a while now and I like it a lot because imo it´s most user friendly and it meets my demands in a perfect manner. It´s a pleasure for me to do my little thing for it.

I´m still building up my new device. Please see what I´ve found out up to now further down:

Every program that I installed by a *.CAB or *.EXE routine has quotes in his link file content. TC does not show squares at all if the link file content has quotes.

All other programs are part of the original HP ROM. Most of them stem from Microsoft. Some of them have quotes in their link file content, some not.

The odd thing is that there are two squares with 21#:MSPPT and no squares with 21#:MSPWORD
HP 214
HP h2210
Wattnu

Post by *Wattnu »

I just came back to rtankersley´s first post and reproduced every single step of his description in the purpose to find out if there are squares on my new device, too, and to find out also if I have overseen something.

Yep, I have overseen something and yep, there they are:

Select a File > Copy/Move > Tree > Select a target folder > The target adress string is \Folder Name\SQUARE SQUARE

The next step appears dangerous to me:

If you tap Copy or Move then without having deleted the squares before the original file name gets lost, the new file name is: SQUARE SQUARE, nothing more than this.

But this only happens if the second, virtual TC window points to any arbitrary folder or file. If it points to the very same target folder everything works as it should. Edit: You could switch to the One Window Mode also.

It was a bit tricky to find out but now we are back where Robert once started.

Edit:

We possibly have two different occurrences of squares here but we have clues now about their appearance and possibly about the failure mechanism in both cases, too.

As a workaround I switched to the One Window Mode on my WM 6 device.

Opposite to the WM 6 device my WM 3 device works flawlessly in every window mode of TC.
HP 214
HP h2210
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This all sounds like a bug in the WM6 operating system, returning 2 characters more than the actual path name in various functions. I will try to get hold of a WM6 ROM for the Windows Mobile emulator to reproduce the error, and find a workaround.
Wattnu

Post by *Wattnu »

Thank you for your involvement. Please tell me if there is still something to do for me.
HP 214
HP h2210
rtankersley

Post by *rtankersley »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This all sounds like a bug in the WM6 operating system, returning 2 characters more than the actual path name in various functions. I will try to get hold of a WM6 ROM for the Windows Mobile emulator to reproduce the error, and find a workaround.
This is an update to the thread I started. I now have a new device [Samsung Saga] with WM 6.1. Thus far, I can not recreate the issue.

Robert
Robert Tankersley
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for your feedback! It seems to be a bug in function wcstok, replacing it by my own fixed the problem for a user who tested it.

Btw, how does the Saga compare to the i760? Any problems with Total Commander Pocket and the special Samsung dpad?
rtankersley

Post by *rtankersley »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks for your feedback! It seems to be a bug in function wcstok, replacing it by my own fixed the problem for a user who tested it.

Btw, how does the Saga compare to the i760? Any problems with Total Commander Pocket and the special Samsung dpad?
So far [2 weeks] the i770 has been great. TC works fine with everything I have done with it. The dpad{mouse} takes getting used to but I think I am going to like it. You can do everything with it without needing to use stylus. Since I am a keyboard person this works for me.

I have had one application not work. I bought and downloaded lexisgoo dictionary . However on this device, after starting in just a few seconds (45+) the box will lock and then soft reset. I have removed the application and am waiting for a solution from the vendor [ppclink].
Robert Tankersley
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It seems that some programs don't like the 320x320 pixel screen, which is very unusual. You can use a tool like Nydidot to limit the resolution temporarily to 320x240 to run such programs.