General feedback

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

frmariam

General feedback

Post by *frmariam »

Hi there. I don't own a PPC for much long (I have a Samsung i900) but I soon found out that the default file explorer is not that great...

I found Total Commander Pocket and it's a great alternative to the built in file manager.

So far I came to some suggestions and found some issues:

1- TC can't execute .cab files from within zip (must extract first... unlike the default WM6 file browser or PocketRAR). Plus it won't respect zip file association (I had it associated to PocketRAR and TC still opened).
2- Some more functions... How about adding all the ones in File Explorer Extention by HouMing: "Copy path" (to clipboard so other apps can use it), "Open with..." (very usefull sometimes... and able to save a list of alternative apps to open with) context entries and image previewing while exploring?
3- Show .dll and other invisible system files
4- If are browsing a dir and exit Total Commander (kill it, not minimize it) and then delete that dir with another app, the next time you launch TC you will be in that non existing folder you deleted.

What are your thoughts?
Gerry Busch

Re: General feedback

Post by *Gerry Busch »

I can't speak for the author, but here are a couple of comments in response to yours:
frmariam wrote:3- Show .dll and other invisible system files
TC shows them all, even the ones in ROM, unless you specify otherwise in the "Show" menu. What it cannot do is hide files that have the hidden attribute.
4- If are browsing a dir and exit Total Commander (kill it, not minimize it) and then delete that dir with another app, the next time you launch TC you will be in that non existing folder you deleted.
I just tried that, and TC started up in the root directory of the device, which makes sense, since the last open directory was missing.
frmariam

Post by *frmariam »

My bad you can see the dll... I just missed them...

Strange I still get point 4... But I now notice it's only with special conditions...

However I can only reproduce it if I was browsing a program folder, exit TC, unninstaled that app and launched TC again (aparently deleting the folder doesn't reproduce the issue).

I tried with the freeware game Magic Bubble by Manbolo (which deletes all files and folders after unninstall
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe you didn't completely close TC? On Windows Mobile, clicking on the "X" button will not close a program, it will just move it to the background. You need to use the menu to really close Tc Pocket.
1- TC can't execute .cab files from within zip
While TC for Windows can do that, TC Pocket can't because of the above-mentioned "hide" feature: TC Pocket cannot know when a temporarily unpacked file is no longer needed because the program associated with it normally never stops running until the next reboot. I wonder how Pocket RAR handles that, maybe it never deletes the temporary file, and it remains on the device forever...

2. "Open with" would indeed be a nice addition.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
frmariam

Post by *frmariam »

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm pretty sure I terminated TC (I use pBar to terminate by pressing the X and I confirmed that cecmd.exe was not running with fdcTaskManager). Also I just reproduced this for test purposes before posting. This is not a big deal but I still thought it was worth reporting...

I don't know how does PocketRAR istall from within zip/rar but I didn't see anything inside its temp folder... Maybe it deletes the temp files once it exits?

One thing I do hope is that future versions are even more finger friendly. The large icon option already does a great deal and small things like adding a finger sized folder icon for the GoUp and Root in every dir (except root) would be even better.

Maybe even a general GUI/layout makeover like doing a bigger bottom bar with finger friendly icons for a Back, Forward, CTRL, Tree and Options (or whatever is apropriate). Anything else seems to alredy be possible to do by pressing and holding over the icons/folder/empty space (context menu)...

I noticed though that some operations are not available in the context menu of:

Files/folders: the create shortcut and zip options... Also an "Extact here"/"Extract to..." for zip files would be very welcome.
Empty space (when you click and hold over no icon/folder): the make dir and find files.

And sorry if I'm pushing the envelope here :oops:
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

Ghisler wrote:TC Pocket cannot know when a temporarily unpacked file is no longer needed because the program associated with it normally never stops running until the next reboot. I wonder how Pocket RAR handles that, maybe it never deletes the temporary file, and it remains on the device forever...
Pocket RAR creates temporary subdirectories inside \Temp (or any directory of the user's choice), and extracts the files being viewed to those subdirectories. When Pocket RAR closes, it automatically removes all its temporary files and subdirectories. WinZip does the same thing on a PC, if I remember correctly.

There's one thing about Pocket RAR that I find annoying: If I am viewing files in a password-protected Zip, even if all the files were compressed under the same password, I'm given the password prompt with each file I open. This can make it very tedious to review the contents of a Zip, so it's easier for me to extract the whole works to a temporary location. Then the password prompt only appears once.
lhalda

Post by *lhalda »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2. "Open with" would indeed be a nice addition.
I think it's a very good idea; when you'll be making your cecmd to do list, please put it on the top ;)