File Association Quirks and Suggestions

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bgx90

File Association Quirks and Suggestions

Post by *bgx90 »

This is pretty much to the author of Total Commander:

I just started using TC on my iPAQ, and it is definitely better than the onboard file explorer. However, I have noticed a couple of quirks when I change file association. When I change the program, it removes the quotation marks around the parameters, and I have to put them back (some programs don't seem to care if they are there or not, but others won't open the file with a double-click without them). Also, the icon index window only displays the 0 indexed icon (the program icon) after the icon file changes; if I enter the index number of the icon I want to use for the file type and click OK the icon is correct, and when I go back to the associate window the rest of the icons in the file are displayed.

A couple of things that I think would be useful are:

1) a checkbox in the file association window allow the user to choose whether or not the icon file changes with the the program file

2) the ability to open a file by dragging and releasing its icon over a program icon (particularly in the two window view)

I think that the second suggestion would be useful for people wanting to occasionally open a file using a program with which its file type is not associated, particularly if the program in question's open dialog only looks for files in its own directory or specific folders. For instance, I use 2 programs such as this JFC (Japanese flashcard program) and JWPce (Japanese word processor used to create JFC's flashcard files). Both programs will only find files located in their own folder or in the My Documents folder using their open file dialogs, but both will auto start and open files opened using the file explorer or TC open command. So, if I want to edit a flashcard file (associated with JFC) in JWPce, I have to either 1) move the file to JWPce's folder and use JWPce's open command, edit the file, and move it back to its original location (ugh!) or 2) change the file association of the flashcard file to JWPce, open the file using TC's open command, edit the file in JWPce, and change the association back to JFC (the preferred method). Whew! So, if TC could open files by dragging their icons over a program icon in the second window, someone could easily open files with alternative programs located in different directories that have the limitations I have described without changing file type associations or moving files around. I don't know if a lot of WindowsCE programs have the limitations on opening files that I'm talking about, but there's my 2 cents.

Sorry that this post was so long. Thanks for making this great program available for free.
woefdram

Post by *woefdram »

2) can be already be done by dragging the program icon to the icon bar so you have it available despite which directory you're in, then dragging the file icon over it. You may have to edit the command line option a bit (tap and hold on the program icon once it's on the icon bar) and not all WinCE programs have the command line option of opening a file with it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed 2) has to be done as user woefdram described. The same is true also for the Windows version. Why? There are a few reasons:
1. Security: Avoid accidental starting of programs when drag&drop goes wrong
2. Normally you have just a hand full of programs, which you can put in the bar for convenient drag&drop
3. Normally programs and data are not in the same directory, so it's quite rare that you can drag a data file directly to a program
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
bgx90

Post by *bgx90 »

I did as woefdram suggested and entered "%P%N" (including quotation marks) under parameters. Now I can open the flashcard files with JWPce without changing file associations or moving files by selecting the file and tapping the JWPce button. I was thinking about drag and drop as a solution before because JWPce and JFC support it, but I agree with ghisler's reasoning; this method is better. Thanks for the help.
lhalda

Post by *lhalda »

Wow, I didn't know about this feature, nor in the 'big' version... That's awesome! Well, sometimes documentation may be worth reading :oops:
lhalda

Malfunction

Post by *lhalda »

Hi, I've just tried it on my ppc and it works, but when I run a file by the the drag&drop onto the program icon, it also makes shortcut of it on the shorcut bar... Any ideas, where is the error? Hope not between the touchscreen and the bed ;)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, it's a limitation of the program, it only supports to add files this way.
qkzoo

Post by *qkzoo »

Any chance to add an "Open With..." feature into one of the file menus? This would make TC a lot handier in my opinion.

Thanks for a great app!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can drag a button to the button bar to add it, then tap&hold it and change the parameter to
%P%N

You can then use this button as "open with".