more finger friendly version

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fg_2002fr

Post by *fg_2002fr »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Yes, the slide gesture sounds like a great idea! I cold combine the 3 buttons into just one, and when you click it, a popup menu opens downwards with the 3 options, plus maybe a Windows and close button.
Yes I agree especially that on WM651, there is no more window's button.
dingolino

Post by *dingolino »

ghisler(Author) wrote:What would you suggest? I could make all buttons larger, but then there wouldn't be much space left for the file list...

Hi I am using TC on the new HTC-HD2. Larger buttons would help especialy in the 1st line and the button for the virtual 2 windows mode.

With the new capacatice screens this is not easy to touch.

With WVGA the screen is still showing "enough" information.

If this could be done relatively easy it would help and than later on maybe some more "sophisticated" input methodes

Best regards

dingolino
MxxCon

Post by *MxxCon »

pbelcl and ghisler, can you guys please communicate in English so that other folks can also understand what you are talking about.

ghisler, how about replace menus with something like Opera Mobile does?
change interface so that there is only one (perhaps semi-transparent) button and once you press it, you get a full menu with all the functionality. and there you can either fit more items or make existing items larger/finger friendly.
like in this picture, bottom right corner http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u46168/opera_95_mobile_browser.jpg

in the mean time, folks can make a stylus for devices with capacitive screens :)
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/06/diy_iphone_stylus.html
[Sig removed by administrator: Signature can not exceed 20GB.]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

As a small X-Mas gift, I have put together a more finger-friendly version of the upper 3 buttons: They are still working as usual when you just press and release them, but when you press any of them and keep the finger down, a menu will open and you can choose one of the commands
\
<->
X (hide)
Close
Just move the pressed finger to the command and release it there.

You can download it here:
http://ghisler.fileburst.com/cebeta/cecmd.arm.cab

Please let me know what you think about it! This version is for devices with ARM processor and a touch screen. Unfortunately I can only test it with an emulator, not a real WM6.5 device. But it works fine also on older Windows Mobile versions.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pbelcl

Merry Christmas ;-)

Post by *pbelcl »

ghisler(Author) wrote:As a small X-Mas gift, I have put together a more finger-friendly version of the upper 3 buttons:
Nice idea christian, thanks therfore ;-)
ghisler(Author) wrote:...Please let me know what you think about it!
Works fine in a short test for me!
now it would be nice to have two more settings for ttcmd is perfect for finger use:

1.) important:
the icons on bottom are also very small. -> should be a little bit bigger or maybe make some less buttons with pull down (or better pull UP) menues :)

2.) nice to have:
another setting in "view mode" with icon size between "large icons" and "brief mode" would be perfect! like resco explorer has. (have screenshot, but where to put)

Thanks for this good first step!!
tokl

Post by *tokl »

Hi,

i tested this new Funktion on my HD2 and thats exactly the feature what capacitive screens (without Stylus) needed! (i'm still missing my Stylus from older phones!)
Sometimes is the Button itselve to small to hit and i'm accidently hitting the date button. So maybe it should a bit bigger in size.

Another thing is:
It should possible to have a little bit more space between the lines so its more easy to hit the correct line (dont want to change the text size). I think the easyest way is to have an option to set the icon size to 40x40 or even 48x48

i'm glad to see that a great piece of Software like this is going to be finger friendly!
Thanks for providing us this this very usefull Program and " weiter so!!! ;-) "

Liebe Weihnachtsgrüsse und ein gutes neues Jahr!, Toby
(merry Christmas and a happy new jear!)[/i]
Dr.Verdi

Post by *Dr.Verdi »

Hello,
i found out that with the finger friendly version the virtual 2 - window mode does no more work correctly. It is not possible to switch to the second virtual screen.

greetings to all
Grüsse

pbelcl

Post by *pbelcl »

Dr.Verdi wrote:It is not possible to switch to the second virtual screen.
Did you activate this mode in "show" menu?
i can use the virtual 2 windows mode after activating it there ...
dingolino

Post by *dingolino »

Just tested it on my HD2 and it is working nicely.

I would still think that a little larger icons for those 3 ones "", ".." and "<>"

would be also very helpfull.

Anyhow, many thanks!!!!

dingolino

ghisler(Author) wrote:As a small X-Mas gift, I have put together a more finger-friendly version of the upper 3 buttons:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your feedback. I can make the 3 buttons a bit higher, e.g. as high as the lower menu bar/toolbar. Unfortunately the hight of the combobox cannot be increased, but I can center it to the left of the 3 buttons. What do you think?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dingolino

Post by *dingolino »

Higher and also wider that it is easier to touch on the HD2 screen.

Just give it a try and we will see how it works.

Best regards,

dingolino

ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks for your feedback. I can make the 3 buttons a bit higher, e.g. as high as the lower menu bar/toolbar. Unfortunately the hight of the combobox cannot be increased, but I can center it to the left of the 3 buttons. What do you think?
pbelcl

Post by *pbelcl »

dingolino wrote:Just give it a try and we will see how it works.
good idea, christian let us see how this would look like ;-)
dingolino

Post by *dingolino »

Just one more remark:

If it is not too complicated maybe you can make the delay time for the long pressing action pop up menue defineable by the user (ms maybe, this is used in iContactAE for example and I am setting the delay time for the button to 800ms which is for me a good value).

Background:

If the larger icons are working nicely than I would prefer to have a longer delay time before the menu is poping up because I can use the icons directly.

But on the other side if somebody still have problems to touch the icons directly than he would prefer probably a shorter delay time before the menue is poping up because he needs it all the time.

So everybody could fine tune TC to his personal needs.

Best regards,

dingolino
dingolino wrote:Higher and also wider that it is easier to touch on the HD2 screen.

Just give it a try and we will see how it works.

Best regards,

dingolino

ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks for your feedback. I can make the 3 buttons a bit higher, e.g. as high as the lower menu bar/toolbar. Unfortunately the hight of the combobox cannot be increased, but I can center it to the left of the 3 buttons. What do you think?
czbird

Post by *czbird »

First, let me thank for the finger friendlier beta.

I would also appreciate to have the filename wrapped across two lines, or have another method of showing longer filenames. I find resizing of the columns quite difficult with capacitative screen of HD2.

Another thing is that when i slide horizontaly on the main list, it also moves horizontally quite wildly. Could the list be configured to ignore horizontal slides?

Well, what once was easy with stylus suddenly becomes quite tricky...

Thanks in advance.
dingolino

Post by *dingolino »

>I would also appreciate to have the filename wrapped across two >lines, or have another method of showing longer filenames. I find >resizing of the columns quite difficult with capacitative screen of HD2.

This would be realy great!!!!

>Another thing is that when i slide horizontaly on the main list, it also >moves horizontally quite wildly. Could the list be configured to ignore >horizontal slides?

Would be for me on the 2nd priority, but a nice to have.

Best regards,

dingolino

czbird wrote:First, let me thank for the finger friendlier beta.

I would also appreciate to have the filename wrapped across two lines, or have another method of showing longer filenames. I find resizing of the columns quite difficult with capacitative screen of HD2.

Another thing is that when i slide horizontaly on the main list, it also moves horizontally quite wildly. Could the list be configured to ignore horizontal slides?

Well, what once was easy with stylus suddenly becomes quite tricky...

Thanks in advance.