registry changes not saved upon reboot

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fredmalito4

registry changes not saved upon reboot

Post by *fredmalito4 »

Greetings!

I am trying to disable the "message sent" baloon on a Palm Treo 700.

I go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Inbox, and there is no settings directory, so I use the MkDir tool to create one. Once ther, I create a DWORD binary key that is SMSNoSentMsg = 1. Then I exit TC, reboot to see the changes... and everything I did is gone.

So, what's up with that? I don't see a "Save Changes" button, so I am lost. Any advise? Thanks!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's saved automatically. Did you make a hard reset or soft reset? to my knowledge, it's not preserved when doing a hard reset.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ianl8888

Re: registry changes not saved upon reboot

Post by *ianl8888 »

fredmalito4 wrote:Greetings!

I am trying to disable the "message sent" baloon on a Palm Treo 700.

I go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Inbox, and there is no settings directory, so I use the MkDir tool to create one. Once ther, I create a DWORD binary key that is SMSNoSentMsg = 1. Then I exit TC, reboot to see the changes... and everything I did is gone.

So, what's up with that? I don't see a "Save Changes" button, so I am lost. Any advise? Thanks!
This is an old issue with WM - a Soft Reset directly after a Registry edit does not preserve the edit.

As explanation, M$$ state that this to prolong the physical life of the flash memory. While it is true that flash has a finite life (perhaps 20-30,000 cycles ??), such life is way beyond the normal use-by date of the device, so this all seems pointless to me. Nonetheless, a Soft Reset immediately following an edit will lose the edit

The workaround is to actually turn the device off - ie. longpress on the Power key after saving the edit in TC
gbusch

Post by *gbusch »

I've never lost a registry edit by soft resetting my WM5 immediately after edit, with just one exception: One of the third-party soft-reset utilities did that, so I deleted it. I still use third-party utilities to soft reset, but neither they nor the hardware reset button cause me any trouble right after a registry edit.
ianl8888

Post by *ianl8888 »

gbusch wrote:I've never lost a registry edit by soft resetting my WM5 immediately after edit, with just one exception: One of the third-party soft-reset utilities did that, so I deleted it. I still use third-party utilities to soft reset, but neither they nor the hardware reset button cause me any trouble right after a registry edit.
Fair enough - I lost them many times earlier, till I learned why. There is an M$$ article on the website describing this situation and stating why it exists

A freeware program, Today Warrior, has a Soft Reset icon in it's single line display. One of the "claims to fame" here is that using it's Soft Reset saved the registry state prior to re-boot. This program is old now and does not work well with WM6.5.x
gbusch

Post by *gbusch »

I'm using an older OS, WM5; perhaps that's why I've had different results.