Total Commander Pocket & WM5

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Joly

Total Commander Pocket & WM5

Post by *Joly »

Hi,

Just a very small question:
Does Total Commander Pocket run under WM5?
And will the registry-functionality works as well?

Kind regards,

Joly
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Until now I haven't received any reports that it doesn't, so I recommend that you try it with your device! Please report your results here.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AHTOH

Post by *AHTOH »

it works for me (WM 5, Qtek 9100)
Frodoman

Post by *Frodoman »

It seems to be working for me too, with one exception. My preferences don't seem to be sticking. I have to switch to virtual two-window mode every time I open the program. That's the only switch from the default that I use though, so I don't know about any other options.
AHTOH

Post by *AHTOH »

I also had some problems with preferences saving in the beginning, but now it's Ok. :shock:
And I still have problems with files copying/moving. Could you try to copy /windows/bubblebreaker.exe to another directory? I get a "do you want to overwrite" dialog, even when there is no bubblebreaker.exe in the destination directory.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Frodoman
To save the settings, please close Total Commander Pocket via the menu (NOT the close button)! This will really shut down the program and not just hide it, causing the settings to be saved. The settings are not saved if TC/Pocket is killed, e.g. because of a reboot.

2AHTOH
Apparently the copying of the file fails, and TC gets back a message that the target cannot be created. Is the file located in the device ROM (read-only memory)? These programs and dlls cannot be copied with any functions.
dannyw001

Post by *dannyw001 »

I had this same question regarding WM 5.0. I have a Dell Axim X51v running WM 5.0. Anyone else out with this same configuration?

If Total Commander is compatible, which version do I use?

Thanks!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2dannyw001
I had this same question regarding WM 5.0.
Waht same question? There are several questions in this thread. Please specify!
dannyw001

Post by *dannyw001 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2dannyw001
I had this same question regarding WM 5.0.
Waht same question? There are several questions in this thread. Please specify!
I am looking for a file manager to replace the default File Explorer. I am running WM 5.0 on a Dell Axim x51v. I was wondering if you've had any more reports on compatibility for Total Commander under WM 5.0.

I am really interested in your product, and if it's compatible, I am also wondering what version of Total Commander I would need.

Thank you!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2dannyw001
Just get the PocketPC version, it is compatible with WM 5.0. The two function buttons will have no effect for now, though. They will be supported in the next version.
dannyw001

Post by *dannyw001 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2dannyw001
Just get the PocketPC version, it is compatible with WM 5.0. The two function buttons will have no effect for now, though. They will be supported in the next version.
Thanks for the help! I will download Total Commander when I get back to work where I sync with my PPC. I will be happy to finally scrap File Explorer which came with WM 5.0.
dannyw001

Post by *dannyw001 »

Just a followup note. I have downloaded Total Commander to my PPC and have experimented with it by working with dummy files. I was concerned about possibly deleting or altering files by accident. The interface at first seemed strange and I was afraid I would discover the true use of some of the icons after their functions had mutiliated my folders.

However, I soon discovered that Total Commander prompts for actions and prevents accidental file/folder deletions or alterations. I also learned that the interface is much simpler than I first thought. And after I discovered the help screens, everything fell into place.

I must say that it is far, far beyond the abilities of File Explorer which comes bundled with WM 5.0. I would heartily recommend it to anyone needing a true File Manager for the PPC.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks very much! Btw, just hold your pen pressed on a button to get a tooltip explaining its function, or a context menu.
fbg

Post by *fbg »

ghisler(Author) wrote:... just hold your pen pressed on a button to get a tooltip explaining its function, or a context menu*.
Again a very helpful hint. Thank You!

BTW, when I do this* in the german version, on the toolbar with the Icon " Datei anzeigen", I can decide to use "anderen definieren" or "Voreinstellung". When using "anderen definieren", I can change the standard tool to open a file, by selecting a program from a list - E.g., for .htm, standard is iexplorer. When I push "Voreinstellung", the windows default settings are restored, but this happens "silently", or, nothing happens if I did not change the standard before. Right?

As I see You descibed nearly everything in the integrated help file. Nevertheless, I´m happy that You agree to explain things again, as there may be some function that won´t be understood directly by everyone. Especially the button change dialogs allow quite powerful manipulation.
This program deserves to become better known
among the pocket pc users, as an alternative to e.g. RESCO Explorer...

Thanks for Your Work again!
FBG
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
FBG
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I push "Voreinstellung", the windows default settings are restored, but this happens "silently", or, nothing happens if I did not change the standard before. Right?
Yes, that's correct - it reverts to the default behaviour of TC/CE.