ImageMetaData (set/edit EXIF/IPTC/XMP-metadata and Comment of image files by Exiv2 lib) content plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Re: ImageMetaData (set/edit EXIF/IPTC/XMP-metadata and Comment of image files by Exiv2 lib) content plugin

Post by *Peter »

Thanks, Thomas.
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
zonkius2

Re: ImageMetaData (set/edit EXIF/IPTC/XMP-metadata and Comment of image files by Exiv2 lib) content plugin

Post by *zonkius2 »

hi, as long totalcmd.net is down, is there a download mirror anywhere?
I'm looking for this wdx plugin and can't found it: ImageMetaData 2.3.6.2
thx, Klaus
Old Faithful

Post by *Old Faithful »

I was looking forward to be able to edit JPG comments directly in TC but when trying to load I get this error...

Code: Select all

Error loading plugin file!
the plugin probably needs some dlls missing on your system
Windows Vista Business 32 bits
TC 10.00β8 in portable (ini in program dir) mode

Any ideas?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The 32-bit version of this plugin works here on Vista 64-bit. The 64-bit version doesn't work because it uses several functions which do not exist on Vista:
RtlLookupFunctionEntry, RtlVirtualUnwind, RtlUnwindEx, RtlPcToFileHeafer from kernel32
and
SetWindowLongPtrA, GetWindowLongPtrA from user32.

However, the 32-bit version does not use any of these functions. It's possible that some other functions are missing in the 32-bit version of Vista.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

For me it doesn't work in Windows XP at all - neither in View as a custom column (the column is empty) nor as Alt+F7 search with plugin (finds nothing).
Tested on images checked in IrfanView.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Old Faithful

Post by *Old Faithful »

[rant]OK so I keep getting logged out for an unknown reason so if I use the editor here and want to post the content is deleted so I guess I have to compose everything in Notepad++... Lesson learned[/rant]

So I just found out that the previous version, right above my previous post here, whose link miraculously survived (can't seem to find any other link to an older version that is NOT hotlinked to the latest, non functioning version of the plugin) installed and worked flawlessly. Why some developers make it so difficult to find previous versions of their software is baffling to me, but then again we live in a world where newer is seemingly considered to be always better and those for whom it breaks things are told to 'upgrade' 🙄

So Usher - try version 2.3.6.2 right above my previous post and see if it works for you.

After figuring how to assign a hotkey to the File Attributes, on which this plugin works, I added the plugin fields I wanted to see, but alas, when I shut TC down and reopen it again, it's all gone - I have to add the plugin and its field manually once more AND ask it to reload the content! Why it can't remember this setting (load the plugin with the previously determined fields and display the existing content for easy editing) is very puzzling to me - surely I must be missing something. Anyone?
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Old Faithful wrote: 2021-05-15, 19:30 UTCSo Usher - try version 2.3.6.2 right above my previous post and see if it works for you.
I did test exactly that version. Version 2.4.0.0 reported missing libraries when installing.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Old Faithful

Post by *Old Faithful »

Usher wrote: 2021-05-15, 21:59 UTC
Old Faithful wrote: 2021-05-15, 19:30 UTCSo Usher - try version 2.3.6.2 right above my previous post and see if it works for you.
I did test exactly that version. Version 2.4.0.0 reported missing libraries when installing.
After having experienced issues with v2.3.6.2 (works only half the time) I found v 2.1.1.0 on the first page and so far, so good 👍
Give it a try and good luck! In the mean time I'll be scouring for other versions and make sure to save copies before someone decides they're too old and should be thrown out 😄
http://tbeu.de/jpg_comment/2.1.1.0/wdx-jpg-comment_2.1.1.0.zip
Old Faithful

Post by *Old Faithful »

I managed to access several versions all the way up to 2.3.5.0 - the next version 2.3.6.0 is SIX YEARS newer so presumably that's where problems start occuring on our old machines.

Basically, you use the same address, replacing instances of 2.1.1.0 with further versions in the URL 😄

Let me know how it works on XP, I'm going to start experimenting!
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Old Faithful
You are right, version 2.3.5.0 works in XP. It's in zip:
http://tbeu.de/jpg_comment/2.3.5.0/wdx-jpg-comment_2.3.5.0.zip

I think that the problem is related to XP toolset and compiler configuration. Some users have reported that the config may be broken by any MSVC update. Additionally, in v.2.4.0.0 missing dlls should be linked statically.
You can read more comments about xp toolset: search.php?keywords=xp+toolset&terms=all&author=Usher&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=9999&t=0&submit=Search
Note that my previous comment is related to another plugin of the very same @tbeu.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Old Faithful

Post by *Old Faithful »

Great to know you're having good results on XP with 2.3.5.0 - I've tested it myself for JPEG Comments (editable in FastStone) and UserComments 2.3.5.0 and it works well, although I do have inconsistent results when user comments are edited with Exifer show ? signs instead of the comment itself - I think it may be related to encoding discrepancies, I'll look further into it.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Old Faithful
I suspect that Exifer is too old to support Unicode. When you save IPTC metadata as UTF-8 Exifer may show ? for all non-ASCII characters, and when you save Exif metadata as UTF-16/UCS-2, Exifer may show something like "U?s?e?r? ?c?o?m?m?e?n?t?".
Andrzej P. Wozniak
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Sorry, I was offline over the holidays. Let me check (with the given input from @Usher) how to fix it.
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

I think I found one reason and will recompile the plugin soon.
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more