MultiArc - archiver plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

MVV wrote:..and I don't want to add a separate one.
It's a pity. There are some "plugin-forks" on totalcmd.net.
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Why not? There are several 64-bit plugin ports under new names because the original author abandoned the plugin.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, you're right, I'll add it to totalcmd.net and ask to put a link into description of existing one.
dindog

Post by *dindog »

MVV wrote:Well, you're right, I'll add it to totalcmd.net and ask to put a link into description of existing one.
I download the source and try to build it, but throw many error said no such file "ArchiverManager.h", does the source miss something?
Sorry if that is a stupid question. Just start learning C++ yesterday...( because I am thinking maybe I could port it to unicode someday...)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I download the source and try to build it, but throw many error said no such file "ArchiverManager.h", does the source miss something?
I've also faced this problem and people suggested to download sources from Multiarc repository. But of course these sources don't contain my fixes.
Sorry if that is a stupid question. Just start learning C++ yesterday...( because I am thinking maybe I could port it to unicode someday...)
If you only start learning C++ I wouln't recommend to work with Multiarc sources, the code is hard to understand and contains errors and strange things.
And, it is completely senseless to make unicode Multiarc because console applications output text in single-byte OEM encoding which is already non-unicode.
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *milo1012 »

MVV wrote:And, it is completely senseless to make unicode Multiarc because console applications output text in single-byte OEM encoding which is already non-unicode.
First of all there is no rule that a console program outputs OEM-encoded bytes, it's just the default behavior for most programs.
But it's up to how you interpret the bytes, and that's why nowadays a lot of console apps output UTF-8 by default, or at least optionally.

So I don't think it would be senseless.
You'd just need to add a format option to support UTF-8 forwarding,
which you would enable when you know that an archiver program supports UTF-8 in-/output.
MVV wrote:I wouln't recommend to work with Multiarc sources, the code is hard to understand and contains errors and strange things.
Yes: taking a look at the source in the past I found it quite "strained"...
TC plugins: PCREsearch and RegXtract
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, it may have sense for programs that allow UTF-8 output.
But adding Unicode support for Multiarc IMHO will be more complex than writing similar plugin from scratch with Unicode everywhere except non-Unicode WCX API stubs.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I'm preparing my Multiarc build for releasing. I've made CHM help file, fixed some bugs and TC editor detection in case when it it is defined with parameters and %1 placeholder. Please test it:

Multiarc Beta 96

+ now CHM help is used
+ 'Edit Multiarc.ini...' button supports parameters and %1 placeholder in TC editor setting
+ Multiarc.ini edit window doesn't close when editor closes instantly, Done button added to it
* fixed string truncation in wait for Multiarc.ini edit window
* About dialog now shows numeric file version
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Hi MVV,

thanks for a new update of the plugin. I'm currently using it and it works fine, no issues detected yet. I also send you a PM regarding this release, please check your TC forum message inbox. Hope you like what you got.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

deus-ex,
Thank you for your language file corrections, I've synchronized them with my ones, now it looks much better!
And also thanks for pointing me how to improve CHM compression, I'm using it now.

Multiarc 1.4.7.98

This build only contains language corrections (English.lng and embedded strings) and some help file corrections.

I think it is ready for totalcmd.net, what do you think?
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Hi MVV,

I'm currently in the process of rewriting the help file texts. Would you like to wait with the release until I'm done?

I noticed that you recently edited the help file contents and the two language files I send you. I wonder why you renamed MultiArc to Multiarc everywhere? In my opinion the correct writting is MultiArc, created of the two terms Multiple and Archiver. Can you agree with my argument?

Bugs:
  • Check this screenshot of the about dialog. Note the grey space close to the email and web adresses (Windows 10 x64).
  • I'm using the tool TC Edit Redirector which allows to configure multiple Editors that are called with the F4-key depending on the file extension.
    Unfortunately the configured editor cannot be opened from within MultiArc's configuartion dialog, this error message is triggered. Something you can do to assist the TC Edit Redirector finding an active panel?
Suggestions:
  • About dialog: Rename "plug-in" to "plugin"
  • There does not seem to exist an 64-bit version of your MultiArc utility ConPaste.
That's it for the moment. Back to HTML editing... ;)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I wonder why you renamed MultiArc to Multiarc everywhere? In my opinion the correct writting is MultiArc, created of the two terms Multiple and Archiver. Can you agree with my argument?
Usually multi- prefix forms new single solid word so I don't see any need in capital letter in the middle of a word. But if you insist we can change it back everywhere.
Note the grey space close to the email and web adresses (Windows 10 x64).
Perhaps it is related to that stupid metro style. I don't use themes and don't have any wish to fix something like that, especially for Win10 (for now I'm pretty happy with Win7 classic theme). Can you check it with Win8, will it look like this too?
Something you can do to assist the TC Edit Redirector finding an active panel?
I think you should ask Flint if its tool doesn't support direct paths in a command line w/o binding to TC panels... Anyway TC panels are blocked when Multiarc config dialog is opened.
About dialog: Rename "plug-in" to "plugin"
Thanks, I've missed that one.
There does not seem to exist an 64-bit version of your MultiArc utility ConPaste.
I didn't see any need in it since 32-bit one works quite well with 64-bit Multiarc, and most console archivers are 32-bit too.
Would you like to wait with the release until I'm done?
Of course I can wait. :)
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *milo1012 »

deus-ex wrote:About dialog: Rename "plug-in" to "plugin"
Why? "Plug-in" is the more official variant, as it derives from "plugging in". (compare "add-in", "add-on")
I know that Christian uses "plugin" on the TC site, but that doesn't make it a reason to change it just for that dialog IMO.

MVV wrote:Usually multi- prefix forms new single solid word so I don't see any need in capital letter in the middle of a word.
No, it's called CamelCase and is actually quite common,
plus: MultiArc is and was the official name for it, so you should keep it IMO.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

milo1012 wrote:Why? "Plug-in" is the more official variant, as it derives from "plugging in". (compare "add-in", "add-on")
I know that Christian uses "plugin" on the TC site, but that doesn't make it a reason to change it just for that dialog IMO.
However I think plugin is more popular now, and TC addons are called plugins in TC and on web-sites.

milo1012 wrote:No, it's called CamelCase and is actually quite common,
plus: MultiArc is and was the official name for it, so you should keep it IMO.
CamelCase is usually used when multiple words are concatenated so it may be not that case. But I agree that it is better to keep official name unchanged, so I'll change it back.
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *milo1012 »

MVV wrote:CamelCase is usually used when multiple words are concatenated so it may be not that case
There is no rule that only "standalone" words can be concatenated, but it also applies to "proper nouns", e.g.:

eBay
iPhone
MacBook

In any case, I'm looking forward to a new help file.