DirSizeCalc 2.22 (content plugin)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2fenix_productions
Is it possible to view the number of dirs in specified sub-level?
No that's not possible at the moment but it's on the wish list.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I have a rather strange wish for your excellent plugin.
Seeing the VisualDirSize plugin, I thought we could use the same visual feedback as a content plugin. What I mean is, that a new field could contain some "|" characters depending on the size of the folder or file. Like this:

Code: Select all

My Pictures           |||||||||||||||||||
My Music              |||||||||||||
My Received Files     ||
Here is the same idea for Excel, to get a glimpse:
http://www.juiceanalytics.com/writing/2006/07/lightweight-data-exploration-in-excel/
What do you thing about this?
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Sombra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sombra »

2SanskritFritz
That’s a good idea. 8)
What do you thing about this?
Ditto.
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
norfie²
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie² »

2SanskritFritz
Nice trick. But I guess it's not a simple decision how to standardize i.e. what a single character | represents (filesize: a 1 byte or 1 GiB; #files 1 file or 1 million files) and what the maximum number of characters should be.
"War is evil, in so far as it makes more bad people than it takes away."
Immanuel Kant in "Perpetual Peace"
Sombra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sombra »

Perhaps the plugin should be executed twice. First time, get all sizes and the second time for calculate the number of characters proportionally.
I don't know if it is possible.
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Yep, it would be a percentage.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2norfie²
Yes, this is a tough question...
kajoj1

Post by *kajoj1 »

What I mean is, that a new field could contain some "|" characters depending on the size of the folder or file. Like this:

Code: Select all

My Pictures           ||||||||||||||||||| 
My Music              ||||||||||||| 
My Received Files     ||
To receive such effect, plugin has to know width of the column where "|" characters are going to be displayed. AFAIK it's not possible now.

I think that whole functionality could be done internally like in Directory Opus.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

It would be the user's job to adjust the column width.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I already had this idea 3 years ago as I developed the first version three years ago. My idea was to just deliver the values and TC draws beautiful gradients...
Anyway I'll see what I can do :-)
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Lefteous wrote:Anyway I'll see what I can do :-)
We already see what you can do ;-)
Thanks for considering this idea!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Lefteous

Thanks from me too for considering, this addition would indeed be great!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Here is a new beta version of DirSizeCalc.

List of changes in Version 2.00 BETA 3:
  • ADDED the new option "PassThroughValues" can be set in the [General] section in DirSizecalc.ini to enable or disable display of values on FTP servers, in filesystem plug-ins and in archives. The default value is 0 (disabled). Setting it to 1 will enable displaying of values in the special locations but also lead to sort problems in the size fields. This behavior is caused by TC and hopefully will be changed one day. To apply this setting you have to reinstall the plug-in.
  • ADDED Now display "Empty" or "No files" in the size fields if the directory is empty or contains no files instead of 0.
  • CHANGED The whole error handling in directory calculation has been changed. The plug-in works much greedier than in the previous version. DirSizeCalc tries to get as many file size information as possible. This also includes special prefixes which are displayed before the value.
  • CHANGED Many strings have been shortened.
If you download and test the new beta version please check the below
  • This version includes many internal changes - even some which are not yet fully visible to the user. So please check if everything works as expected.
  • Please tell what do you think about the new strings. I'm open for suggestions on all bundled languages. It quite difficult to make short but meaningful strings. For documentation on the strings and tokens please check the language file.
  • What do you think about the new way skipped files are being handled?
  • "E" before a displayed value means an error occured. If this happens please give me a hint what could have caused the error. In this case please also check if the problem also occurs in subdirectories
Download DirSizeCalc 2.00 BETA 3 (Totalcmd.net Server)

Download DirSizeCalc 2.00 BETA 3 (my own website)
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

1. The [General] section is not added to the INI file even when reinstalling, as it's not available in the resource.
2. It's not possible to delete directories with new version anymore, they are all locked.
3. PassThroughValues=1 works in archives, but outside of archives the thousand separator dot is missing.
4. I can see the string "No files" on a directory which is full of junctions. I think this one should ONLY be displayed when there are only empty directories and no files in it.
5. I get an "E" for "Contains Files", for all directories and subdirectories. All other fields seem to work until now.
6. Change "Gepackte Größe" to "Komprimierte Größe".
A => X (due to its widely known symbolism)
E => Is this always a bug? If yes, it should not be abbreviated.
U => can stay U, maybe you can add A for ANSI as well, disabled by default, just for informational purposes
F => I don't see a way to provoke that. Instead, when I disable reparse point following, I get an M, although it's a J(unction). Maybe wrong order in language file?

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
Thanks for testing :-)
The [General] section is not added to the INI file even when reinstalling, as it's not available in the resource.
I will add it.
It's not possible to delete directories with new version anymore, they are all locked.
I couldn't reproduce this so far. Does it fail to work in all cases or just occasionally?

PassThroughValues=1 works in archives, but outside of archives the thousand separator dot is missing.
I'm not sure if I understood this correctly. Can you give an example?
I can see the string "No files" on a directory which is full of junctions.
Are you using one of the "not follow reparse points" options?
I get an "E" for "Contains Files", for all directories and subdirectories. All other fields seem to work until now.
I could reproduce this and will try to fix it.
Change "Gepackte Größe" to "Komprimierte Größe".
I'm not sure if this would be an improvement. What do other testers think?
A => X, due to its widely known symbolism
Can you explain this a bit more?
E => Is this always a bug? If yes, it should not be abbreviated => Error
No not necessarily. It's just an error which doesn't have to do with access problems or Unicode filenames. It could be a bug or another not yet named error.
U => can stay U, maybe you can add A for ANSI as well, disabled by default, just for informational purposes
I just want to add those tokens if some files where skipped. Ansi filenames are nothing special. Unicode filenames means that the plug-in couldn't use the normal filenames because the plug-in doesn't support Unicode and that it couldn't use the 8+3 filenames because the user has disabled creation of 8+3 filenames or the 8+3 filename contains Unicode characters.

I don't see a way to provoke that. Instead, when I disable reparse point following, I get an M.
That looks like a bug. I just used a wrong string.

The general problem with all those tokens is that they can all occure at once. So I cannot use full length words but maybe one char is not really meaningful.