WDXTagLib - content plugin for audio files

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

poiuytr

WDXTagLib - content plugin for audio files

Post by *poiuytr »

WDXTagLib is a content plugin for Total Commander which uses TagLib library for reading and editing meta-data of audio files.

TagLib supports both ID3v1 and ID3v2 for MP3 files, Ogg Vorbis comments and ID3 tags and Vorbis comments in FLAC, MPC, Speex, WavPack TrueAudio, WAV, AIFF, MP4 and ASF files.

Project hosts on GitHub.
Latest binaries are here.
Last edited by poiuytr on 2015-12-01, 21:33 UTC, edited 8 times in total.
Antonski

Post by *Antonski »

Musepack sv8 is not supported, although mpc is listed as supported format :(
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

Antonski wrote:Musepack sv8 is not supported, although mpc is listed as supported format :(
Well, at least sv7 is working. I don't own any sv8 files to test them.
Antonski

Post by *Antonski »

The latest sv8 pack compilation can be found at http://r2d.musepack.net/files/musepack_bin_20071123.zip, there is a converter to sv8 (mpc2sv8) included, so you can give it a try.
I've converted some of my sv7 tracks to sv8, but unfortunately there is not yet a tagger/organizer that support the new format correctly, so I stopped the migration temporarily.
Antonski

Post by *Antonski »

Hi again,

I've found these sv8 test samples: http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/musepack/sv8/
You can try them if you don't want to bother yourself with encoding/conversion.
CU
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: WDXTagLib - content plugin for audio files

Post by *m^2 »

poiuytr wrote:Released under GPLv3.
:(
So no extended TC edition can use this plugin.
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

Antonski wrote:I've found these sv8 test samples...
I used foobar2000 on these files and it didn't show me any tags present. Still plugin can write tags and then read it. I'm not sure is this consistent with cv8, probably not. Since all tag job is performed by independent library TagLib have to wait for sv8 support there.
m^2 wrote:So no extended TC edition can use this plugin.
What is "extended TC edition"?
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

It seems to me this editions are violating TC's license.
TC's license wrote:You are allowed to copy this Shareware-version (and ONLY the Shareware version) and give it to any other person, as long as it is not modified in any way. Under modifications is understood the changing, adding or removing of any files of this package without the author's written permission.
I doubt that cookers had written permission from Ghisler.

But anyway I'm not aware how GPLv3 gonna prevent the distribution of the plugin together with other software. Is there a license lawyer around here?
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

At least the first 2 do have Ghisler's written permission.
And according to GPL FAQ, program+dll are consideres a single work. In order to distribute GPLed plugin together with such program, the program would need to be distributed under GPL-compatible license.
Antonski

Post by *Antonski »

poiuytr wrote:
Antonski wrote:I've found these sv8 test samples...
I used foobar2000 on these files and it didn't show me any tags present. Still plugin can write tags and then read it. I'm not sure is this consistent with cv8, probably not. Since all tag job is performed by independent library TagLib have to wait for sv8 support there.
There is no problem with tags at all, the new format use APE2 tags as the older one. There is a problem with displaying of such info as track duration, encoder version, bitrate etc. ("sv" means stream version, there is nothing to do with tags).
Anyway, obviously we should wait the original writers of TagLib to update their product.
~
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

m^2 wrote:And according to GPL FAQ, program+dll are consideres a single work. In order to distribute GPLed plugin together with such program, the program would need to be distributed under GPL-compatible license.
I don't mind to use double/triple license scheme, just have to figure out which one is more suitable, LGPL or something?

Antonski
Oh, got it.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

poiuytr wrote:
m^2 wrote:And according to GPL FAQ, program+dll are consideres a single work. In order to distribute GPLed plugin together with such program, the program would need to be distributed under GPL-compatible license.
I don't mind to use double/triple license scheme, just have to figure out which one is more suitable, LGPL or something?
Yes, I thought about LGPL. There's no standard license closer to the one you wanted to use, but allowing to package the plugin with TC.
BTW it's recommended to use "GPLv3 or later" statement in case that a later one will be incompatible with v3. (There is such problem with v2-v3, they are not compatible and therefore one cannot mix v2 and v3 code).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes LGPL is the recommended open source licence for dlls and libraries, because it ensures that the library remains open source, but allows the usage of the library also by closed source programs like Total Commander.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Rodny

Post by *Rodny »

A few differences in read_before_install.txt and readme.txt:
read_before_install.txt wrote:place the taglib.dll in the totalcmd.exe folder
readme.txt wrote:place the taglib.dll and msvcrt.dll in the totalcmd.exe folder
And there is file "libtag.dll" in the archive. What is corect name? Or it does not matter?