QuickSearch eXtended

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Updated first post: Version 1.42 is available.

Code: Select all

Version 1.42
 - Added: Change for ini option "match_beginning": If there is a space before the first written substring the substring can match anywhere in the filename.
Hope this will help you. But I recommend to always use "match_beginning=0" in ini. Its restricting enough (IMO).
Mikefield
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Mikefield »

Samuel wrote:But I recommend to always use "match_beginning=0" in ini. Its restricting enough (IMO).
Confirmed! (It's my opinion too) :)

mf
Bankster - Word of the Year 2009
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Samuel wrote:Updated first post: Version 1.42 is available.

Version 1.42
 - Added: Change for ini option "match_beginning": If there is a space before the first written substring the substring can match anywhere in the filename.
Hope this will help you. But I recommend to always use "match_beginning=0" in ini. Its restricting enough (IMO).
i was waiting for such option in order to use it because i always search by first char and want to have folder first.. (i mostly navigate with auto filter on)

I try to have 'and' char set to '*' to be able to search for space and coherent with standard version it is working fine :)

match_beginning=1 should be ignored in regex mode as ^ can be used to define "Sarts with" and $ "ends with"... ability to have regex as default is my prefered setting..... i almost adopted this version ! I should have given a closer look to the included pdf instead of hitting F1!

match begining parameter should be transposed to a match_begining_activate_char instead and allow to define match_begining_activate_char= to set is as default.

[edited for wrong test about * used as and separator]
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

nsp wrote:want to have folder first..
What means you want to have folder first? I dont get this.

"match_beginning=1" should be ignored in regex mode as ^ can be used to define "Starts with" and $ "ends with"...
I know about this, but as "match_beginning=1" is an option for the ini (and not an activate char), I decided to use it in all search types.

Just use "?.*bla bla" then.
Or should I change it? Would be inconsistent IMO.
I should have given a look to the incuded pdef instead of hitting F1!
I tried to point to the file in the first post as much as I could. :-)
match begining parameter should be transposed to a match_begining_activate_char instead and allow to define match_begining_activate_char= to set is as default.
I consider to add an "match_begining_activate_char", but I will not replace the ini option then.
pcitrus

Post by *pcitrus »

Thank you a lot Samuel for keeping on updating this wonderful tool!

Among the following list of files:

file123
file234
file65
fileryi
fileuejj123
fileuejj65
ryieujj

With match beginning=1, I'll have to press "f j6" to reliably locate "fileuejj65". When I press down " j6" alone, sometimes the cursor jumps to the top .., and sometimes it immediately identifies "fileuejj65" (if the search box is already open).

(The reason why I set match beginning=1 is b/c most of my file names start with different letters and I tend to read from the beginning of a file name.)
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

I just mentioned that space is a bad first character for activating the Quicksearch. This only selects files. So I will add the "match_begining_activate_char" soon.

pcitrus:
Cant reproduce. Its probably a TC bug.
1. Could you give a 100% reproduce example?
2. What are you typing in what order, and do you manually select files before or during the search.
3. Do you have Ctrl+s activated the whole time?
4. Could you post your "tcmatch.ini"?
5. Are there Chinese letters in the filenames?

nsp, pcitrus & others:
Do you think I should split the "match_begining_activate_char" to:

match_begining_activate_char_4_simple_search
match_begining_activate_char_4_levenshtein_search
match_begining_activate_char_4_RegEx_search
nsp:
nsp wrote:i was waiting for such option in order to use it because i always search by first char and want to have folder first.
Please dont hide your suggestions.
Mikefield
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Mikefield »

Hello Samuel! I know it's still under construction, but I think it is short bevore to reach a crossroads. Now it's small and handy. But if you create an jack of all trades device (german: eierlegende Wollmilchsau) it could be, that some users are overwhelmed to made the correct settings for its own necessities. OK, the standard settings are absolutely right and you do a very good job! I'm sure you made the right decision. :)

mf
Bankster - Word of the Year 2009
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

I think if users currently (and in the future) read the readme they are confronted with some search cases. These should satisfy the most users. If they want to tweak, then they just have to get into the depth of the readme.

Perhaps I should make a configuration program for the ini. :-)
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Samuel wrote:Perhaps I should make a configuration program for the ini. :-)
This is a great idea !
It will be even more complete if it could affect tcmatch immediatelly and have the F1 key that showup your pdf file (or even beter an html help file;)).
Support ++
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Samuel wrote:
nsp:
Can you answer this?
nsp wrote:It will be even more complete if it could affect tcmatch immediatelly
Thats partly a limitation of TC. TC only once can be told about some options (first usage of QF). So I could only load some ini settings if the ini changed. ("allow_empty_result", "filter_files_and_folders" and "wdx stuff" would make problems)

It would be inconsistent to let some options be changed runtime and others not.
pcitrus

Post by *pcitrus »

Samuel, I'm sure that's not a bug, but by design. b/c only when you start typing non space characters do you activate the search box.
I only wished that * wild card rather than Space would work for the scenario I mentioned. (But as long as I remember to use Space it's quite easy.)
The only change I made to tcmatch.ini was
matchbeginning=1

I'm totally satisfied with it actually.
Thank you!
hoppfrosch

Post by *hoppfrosch »

Hi Samuel,

I have two requests concerning documentation:
you mention in your documentation that and how wdx plugins can be configured - but you do not say anything about the purpose of wdx plugins in context with tcmatch. I think it would be helpful esp. for beginners to know this ...

One other thing for docu of wdx: you mention in the release history "DirSizeCalc doesn’t work for an unknown reason" - nevertheless you use "DirSizeCalc" as example in the configuration section. Even worse - using the example configuration with "DirSizeCalc" makes my TotalCmd crash ... Only reading the docu to the end leads to the point that "DirSizeCalc doesn’t work for an unknown reason". I think it would be better to remove DirSizeCalc from the example ...
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Samuel
Testing for two days and I must say: plugins handling works great although I have two suggestions:

1. special character activation - mentioned before :)

2. schemes - the possibility to save plugins sets into groups/categories which could be invoked later.

I.e.

I want to use filter with images WDX plugins separately from document ones so I decide to have two templates: img and doc. Knowing that WDX would be used with = character I could type:

=img=Samantha

to have files names filtered by Samantha using content plugins defined within img scheme or type:

=doc=report

to see all files names matching report using WDXes from doc group.

I hope I wrote it clear enough ;)

P.S. Maybe the reason of not working DirSizeCalc is called "ft_delayed"?
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

Great stuff - thanks! :D
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Samuel wrote:
Samuel wrote:
nsp:
Can you answer this?
This is not a suggestion (unless you can capture a hotkey like "alt" or "ctrl" that could be a dynamic modifier to filter file only, folder only, all if none...)

Without match begining set to 1 and setting * as "and" parameter some search/filtering pointed me on file even if i wanted to have a folder as a first filtered result.

match_begining_activate_char_4_simple_search
match_begining_activate_char_4_levenshtein_search
match_begining_activate_char_4_RegEx_search
ABOUT this : i think that match begining do not make any sense with regex as we can use ^ and $ in the expression. I do not use similarity filtering so no idea about utility to have a special starting leter....

As i remember, only \> < * ? | : are not allowed in filenames so imo prefix char should not exeed 7.

Samuel wrote:
nsp wrote:It will be even more complete if it could affect tcmatch immediatelly
Thats partly a limitation of TC. TC only once can be told about some options (first usage of QF). So I could only load some ini settings if the ini changed. ("allow_empty_result", "filter_files_and_folders" and "wdx stuff" would make problems)

It would be inconsistent to let some options be changed runtime and others not.
for me immediatelly mean for "the next search"..
Just an idea (i did not evaluate the feasability as i do not know ho TC and tcMatch communicate) :
tcmatch dll could embed a dialog that sits under or above the TC quick search dialog and allow somme dynamic setting like search begining, current default mode, ....