S3 Browser for TC - Plugin to work with Amazon S3 Storage

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Ivan Moiseev

S3 Browser for TC - Plugin to work with Amazon S3 Storage

Post by *Ivan Moiseev »

S3 Browser for Total Commander - file system plugin to work with Amazon S3 Storage.

S3 Browser is free for private/personal use. Pro License is available for business/government use.

Release version can be downloaded from here

how to install:
1. Open downloaded zip archive in Total Commander
2. Follow the plugin installation wizard instructions.

to complete installation: open folder where you installed S3 Browser plugin and run install_plugin.cmd script.

Features:
1. Support for multiple Amazon S3 accounts.
2. Upload/download/move/rename files.
3. Create and work with US/EU buckets.
4. Your Amazon S3 Credentials are stored in encrypted form (AES)
5. Work via HTTP/HTTPS
6. Configurable error handling
and more.

Note:
The following directory structure is used:

1 level: Accounts
2 level: Buckets
3 - n Level - Files/Folders

So, be careful with Delete on Accounts/Buckets.

To open settings, press Alt+Enter on plugin. To open Accounts manager press Alt+Enter on account.

Please report any bugs/questions/suggestions here or by using contacts form at s3browser.com

Regards,
Ivan Moiseev.
Last edited by Ivan Moiseev on 2009-10-27, 20:14 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Ivan Moiseev
Since I'm using Amazon S3 now to host Total Commander beta versions, I have also tried your plugin. It seems to work quite well, except for one problem:

When you upload an exe file with this plugin, and the exe file is downloaded later with the Amazon protection method as I use here, then the file is downloaded without the ".exe" extension! This problem only exists with Internet Explorer, not Firefox or other browsers.

The cause is that IE looks for the Content-Disposition header, but it is missing. This only affects EXE and DLL files.

Therefore your plugin should upload any EXE and DLL files with the custom header set to
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="<filename.exe>"

where <filename.exe> is the name of the uploaded file. After making this change, the file downloads correctly, try it here.

Btw, S3fox cannot currently do this, but Bucket Explorer can do it - it can change the headers even after uploading!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Ivan Moiseev

Post by *Ivan Moiseev »

2ghisler(Author)
Many thanks for the useful information! This will be added in the next release that is coming soon.

btw, with S3 Browser you can also view/edit headers after uploading
Ivan Moiseev

Post by *Ivan Moiseev »

New Version 1.9.5 is available for downloading.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, I will test it!

Important: It seems that install_plugin.cmd has to be executed again after the update, otherwise I get an exception immediately.

I have just tested it, and it seems to upload EXE files as I suggested - great! I will definitely buy a license.

Here are some suggestions for future plugins or pro version:
- you could support the TC 7.5 password manager to securely store the passwords (AES256)
- Alt+Enter could let the user change the file permissions and extra fields
Ivan Moiseev

Post by *Ivan Moiseev »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Important: It seems that install_plugin.cmd has to be executed again after the update, otherwise I get an exception immediately.
Yes, that's right, install_plugin.cmd script has to be executed again, i'm afraid there is not way to avoid this. This script is used to register library written on C# as COM library. Library version is changing, and it needs to be re-registered.

:idea: Maybe it would be helpful for other developers in case of two additional keys in pluginst.inf that would allow to execute custom command before/after installation.
ghisler(Author) wrote: I have just tested it, and it seems to upload EXE files as I suggested - great! I will definitely buy a license.
Great!
ghisler(Author) wrote: Here are some suggestions for future plugins or pro version:
- you could support the TC 7.5 password manager to securely store the passwords (AES256)
- Alt+Enter could let the user change the file permissions and extra fields

Thanks for useful suggestions.
- Currently passwords are stored in ecrypted form(AES), but i'll think about adding support for TC 7.5 password manager. One unified password manager is a good idea.
- Yes, this is definitely right thing to implement.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Currently passwords are stored in ecrypted form(AES), but i'll think about adding support for TC 7.5 password manager. One unified password manager is a good idea.
Great! It's actually quite simple to support it, so it still works with your internal store in older TC versions. See my new SFTP plugin here in the forum for sample code:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=19994
pw

Post by *pw »

... how stable does the S3 Plugin work in the meantime - any experiences?

Just downloaded v1.9.7 to use it with TC 7.50 on Vista - unfortunately resulting in nothing more than an exception :(

As long-time TC user I think this would be of great value once working - what did I do wrong?

Thanks - Peter.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Se my reply above! I wrote:
It seems that install_plugin.cmd has to be executed again after the update, otherwise I get an exception immediately.
pw

Post by *pw »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Se my reply above! I wrote:
It seems that install_plugin.cmd has to be executed again after the update, otherwise I get an exception immediately.
Actually had done so, but without having closed TC - thanks for re-emphasizing!

Closed TC, ran install_plugin.cmd as admin from command shell and it works like a breeze. Great Christian many thanks :D :D

Cheers - Peter.
zamir

where is the plugin?

Post by *zamir »

I am looking for a plugin for S3 in TC - where can I get it?
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Re: where is the plugin?

Post by *Peter »

zamir wrote:I am looking for a plugin for S3 in TC - where can I get it?
:?:
In the first few lines in the first posting is the link - which works fine. Is it what you are looking for?

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
zamir

Post by *zamir »

Thanks,
I am probably missing something here - the link is for downloading an exe file, which is the installer, while the post talks about a zip file... in the installation dir there is no .cmd file...
What am i missing?
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

Try to contact the author via the e-mail button - maybe he can explain ...

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
Ivan Moiseev

Post by *Ivan Moiseev »

zamir wrote:Thanks,
I am probably missing something here - the link is for downloading an exe file, which is the installer, while the post talks about a zip file... in the installation dir there is no .cmd file...
What am i missing?
Hi,

The link was broken. I have fixed it. Thanks.

Regards.