NTLinks + NTLinksMaker: NTFS links creation and information

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: NTLinks + NTLinksMaker: NTFS links creation and information

Post by *Dalai »

2Fla$her
Sorry, I can't reproduce it. Did you mean the dialog in the screenshot you linked to? If so, did you download the plugin archive with a browser and extract it with TC 10? Then you should check the properties of NTLinksMaker.exe (or NTLinksMaker64.exe) and click on Allow (button or checkbox, depending on Windows version). BTW, this dialog has nothing to do with digital signatures. It just means that the file was downloaded from an potentially unsafe source, i.e. the internet.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Fla$her wrote: 2021-06-12, 07:37 UTC
Fla$her wrote: 2021-06-11, 23:47 UTC
  • The path to NTLinksMaker is specified without * in front.
  • In the "Parameters:" field set: /q /s? /b /r= "%P" "@%WL" " %T"
Although this is not required, just run the application by Enter.
Horst.Epp wrote: 2021-06-12, 06:37 UTCThe previous versions of NTLInksMaker are not digitaly signed and as Dalei explained no plugin has this.
Why do you write "previous"? There is no signature in the last one either. What plugin?

1. rundll32.exe inetcpl.cpl, LaunchSecurityDialogEx
2. Local Intranet zone > [Custom level...] button
3. Launching applications and unsafe files: Prompt (system-recommended option)
Image: https://i.ibb.co/mHMvtbv/Mess-Verify.png
Unsafe files downloaded from Internet have nothing to do with digital signatures.
Downloaded files can be unblocked and thats all.
The system will not complain when the downloaded files have digital signatures.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

2Fla$her: You are right: With TC 10 the behaviour has been changed.
In previous versions TC just ignored to set the "Zone.Identifier" data stream for downloaded file like Internet Explorer and other programs already did.

Starting with TC 10 this has been changed.
history.txt wrote: Added: When downloading files via FTP from anonymous FTP server, add a "Zone.Identifier" data stream (32/64)
Added: When downloading files via HTTP and the remote IP address isn't an intranet address, add a "Zone.Identifier" data stream like a web browser (32/64)
Added: wincmd.ini [Configuration] WantZoneData=7 configure zone identifier data creation. Sum of: 1=enabled, 2=remote http, 4=anonymous ftp, 8=ftp with login, 16=local http (32/64)
When unpacking files internally or via plugins, copy "Zone Transfer" data stream from archive to unpacked files, just like the Explorer
New zone transfer option can be disabled via WantZoneData=0
The behaviour is the same, If you have downloaded the file with your web browser.
This has not been changed since years and is valid for all kind of downloaded files.

To enable the start of those file, you have to trust them individually.
Just show the properties of this file and allow the access by fill the security checkbox at the bottom of the first page.
#5767 Personal license
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Dalai wrote: 2021-06-12, 11:26 UTCIf so, did you download the plugin archive with a browser and extract it with TC 10?
Yes.
Dalai wrote: 2021-06-12, 11:26 UTCThen you should check the properties of NTLinksMaker.exe (or NTLinksMaker64.exe) and click on Allow (button or checkbox, depending on Windows version).
I performed the unlock on the [Unlock] button. Thanks.
Dalai wrote: 2021-06-12, 11:26 UTCBTW, this dialog has nothing to do with digital signatures. It just means that the file was downloaded from an potentially unsafe source, i.e. the internet.
I understand. But I wrote about what is indicated in the dialog itself (below), and not about my guesses.

sqa_wizard wrote: 2021-06-12, 13:32 UTCNew zone transfer option can be disabled via WantZoneData=0
Good. So I did. Thanks for the details. :)

Accompodiable question: why doesn't this dialog appear when specifying * at the beginning of the Command field?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Tangent Lin

Post by *Tangent Lin »

2MVV
Sometimes we want to make the file_softlink to several folders and vp at the same time ,
I know the F5(copy) can copy selected file(s) like that as the imge in advanced options with marked option selection.
and we all want to know if the NTLinksMaker plugin can do it like that ?
Best regards
[img]https://s1.ax1x.com/2022/09/30/xuYOYt.jpg[/img]
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

To my knowledge, NTLinksMaker can make multiple links from a list to a single folder.
What you could do is to run multiple time the tool for each selected folders in target panel using a script that keep First parameter for source and all the following to re-run the tool using %R.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

This is the first of two bug reports regarding version 1.4.2.436.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Create a directory of your choice, e.g. C:\a
  2. Copy some file into this directory (or create one in TC via Shift+F4).
  3. This step is important! Rename the file to "foobar" or similar. The relevant part is that the file name must not have an extension!
  4. Launch NTLinks Maker with the usual parameters, e.g.

Code: Select all

/q- /b /r="%P" "@%WL" "%T"
  5. Type a new name with an extension, e.g. "Readme.txt" and hit OK
  6. The hard link is created but without any extension!
  7. Repeat step 5, but this time type "foobar.txt", and hit OK. The relevant part in this step is that the file must have the same base name as the existing file, but includes an extension.
  8. NTLinks Maker will show an error saying "Error creating link" because the file already exists. Sure, the file without the extension exists, but not the one without the extension that it's supposed to create.
Version 1.4.1.416 (which currently is the latest version on totalcmd.net) works as expected and creates a hard link with file name extension.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

This is the second bug report regarding version 1.4.2.436.

Prerequisites: You need to have some other disk volume available apart from the usual drive C:, e.g. drive D: or E: or whatever drive letter.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Create a file with the following contents

D:\
    (or whatever other drive letter you have available) and save this file with UTF-16 encoding to a location of your choice.
  2. Launch NTLinks Maker with the following parameters (can be done outside of TC):

/n "@C:\list.txt" "C:\zOtherVolume"
    Change the name/path C:\list.txt according to the file created in step 1
  3. Confirm the prefilled link name (which will be the one from the previous step) by hitting OK.
  4. NTLinks Maker does nothing, no junction is created (as it's supposed to do), and no error message either.
Version 1.4.1.416 works as expected and creates the junction.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Thank you for reports, I can reproduce both, I'll try to find some time to fix them.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2MVV
I would also like you to respond to TCFS2 issues.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2MVV
I can reproduce both, I'll try to find some time to fix them.
Any news about it?

I also found this internal dialog: https://ibb.co/LN92K9K
Yes - this is the correct window, indeed the target folder had restrictions (I could only read the contents),
but why does it look so awful?

P.S. Though about the correctness of its appearance is also a question. I did the hard link first.
And that's where this window popped up. And then I decided to try to create a symbolic link - and ...
here it was created without question! And why such different behavior for a folder that actually had restrictions?
#146217 personal license
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Sorry, no news yet.

What exactly looks awful? It is a standard Windows message dialog, I don't control its style. The only thing I do is enlarge it to add the bottom button, so white strip appears.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

More-or-less standard dlg IMHO will look like this:
http://shiva16.narod.ru/Unit26.files/image008.jpg
http://www.java2s.com/Tutorial/JavaImages/MessageBoxWorkingIconAbortRetryIgnoreButton.PNG
https://www.flixo.com/manual/flixo8/en/dialog_matimport_name.gif

And of course this "second line"d button - is terrible. Only in 1 line buttons look more-or-less suitable in this dlg.
Plus that's really strange that we have "standard?" color striping. White-gray-white. Ok, 2nd gray - is the result
of button's adding. But why there is the first white strip? Standard windows dialogs always have single color tone
of their background.
#146217 personal license
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-09-26, 13:17 UTCBut why there is the first white strip? Standard windows dialogs always have single color tone of their background.
Nope. Windows Vista introduced new dialogs (called Task Dialogs), and it also revamped the standard MessageBox dialogs. You can see the latter in TC when it's running on Vista or later. Press Shift+Del on some file/directory or open Help > About TC, and see for yourself.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

I am running already TC on Vista+)))))
Win10 and Win11 - is it enough for this?
And I did not see such "interlaced" dialogs/message box nowhere
till this plug!
#146217 personal license