[WFX] VirtualPanel: Temporary panel for TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ruizone

Re: [WFX] VirtualPanel: Temporary panel for TC

Post by *ruizone »

Double click to open the file or enter to open the file Tc will hang for a while ! My operating environment is win7 64 & tc 64
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Is your root large? What kind of file do you launch? Does TC launches it faster? Please try to enable logging of all events in VP properties and launch the file, check log file for delays... Enable TC log file too, compare timestamps.
ruizone

Post by *ruizone »

1.The disk space is large enough.

2.Jpg and other graphic and image files are opened with Irfan or other video player.

3.TC open without delay

4.Open with F4, no delay& no delay with%Z%P%NCommand open.

5.Entering the virtual folder opens the first file with delay.
,Later, most of the cases were not delayed. But there will be delays at random.

6.Two computers have been tested.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Sorry, I mean how many items do you have in entire VP root? Or, in other words, what is the size of your LST file that keeps VP state?

And, please try to enable full logging and tell what you see in VP and TC logs.
ruizone

Post by *ruizone »

MVV wrote: 2018-09-27, 08:38 UTC
Sorry, I mean how many items do you have in entire VP root? Or, in other words, what is the size of your LST file that keeps VP state?

And, please try to enable full logging and tell what you see in VP and TC logs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xkhlzbosx9ikj8/test.zip?dl=0
Sorry
This is all the files you need, I will re-describe the problem:
Double click the mouse or enter to open the file,There is a certain probability that it will be delayed
F4menu & ctrl+q & F3 & %Z%P%N There are no delays in opening files in these ways.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

According to VP log, there is no delay in VP itself, it starts external program immediately (there are 12 "open" actions in your log), so it seems that external program takes some time for opening a file (but same thing should be if you just execute this file in TC). When you use F3 or Ctrl+Q, file is opened by Lister which may take less time... F4Menu doesn't read the file at all, it only shows list of programs that support file's extension.
ruizone

Post by *ruizone »

MVV wrote: 2018-10-11, 10:11 UTC According to VP log, there is no delay in VP itself, it starts external program immediately (there are 12 "open" actions in your log), so it seems that external program takes some time for opening a file (but same thing should be if you just execute this file in TC). When you use F3 or Ctrl+Q, file is opened by Lister which may take less time... F4Menu doesn't read the file at all, it only shows list of programs that support file's extension.
1.F4menu Select the same program to open (consistent with the file association program)
2.{TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\mpv\mpv.exe
%Z%P%N
%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\mpv\mpv.exe
mpv
%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\mpv\

There is no delay in this way of opening!
This is very strange!

But thank you very much!
Thank you for your great work.!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Glad that you like it. :)
There should be a reason why some files open slowly... Could that be your AV scanner?
Do you notice slowdowns every time when you start a movie from VP and is all ok every time when you start it from TC?
I could suggest to try some activity monitor like Sysinternals Process Monitor but it may require some skills if you are new to it. But it will definitely show what TC or system does when you experiense a slowdown.
Also, sometimes it is just OS who cause slowdowns. E.g. when I open large executables with signature, TC freezes for some seconds before program window (usually an installer) appear.
fuxi

Post by *fuxi »

Hi,

i recently found VirtualPanel and it's AWESOME - I'm using it for organizing my files for PHP coding.
where can i get the latest version? totalcmd.net is down ..

My question: is it possible to access the VirtualPanel folder also "outside" from Totalcommander?
I would like to open it from eg. PHPStorm or the Windows-Explorer -> \\Network Environment\VirtualPanel doesn't work :/

Thanks
Fuxi
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, I've uploaded latest VP here:

Virtual Panel 2.0.7.1372

Sorry, you can't access VP outside of TC because it is only a TC plugin and exists only within TC, but while your TC is running, you can use embedded virtual explorer which may be opened with <explore command (it may be used e.g. for drag-and-drop).
nellossie

Post by *nellossie »

I've been a registered TC user since 1997 (!) but only now discovered this brilliant plugin - thanks sooo much!
nellossie

Post by *nellossie »

HOW TO REFRESH VirtualPanel.lst WITHOUT EXITING TC?

I am using Dropbox to share and sync my VP folder (it is saved in a Dropbox folder that is unrelated to TC and its folders).
Is there a way to cause VirtualPanel to update its database whenever a change is made, or at frequent intervals?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Sorry, plugin doesn't expect that database will be modified while VP is working. However you can use <load command for reloading it manually, or even <silent <load sequence to disable messages. VPBatch tool may be used for executing a command from TC buttonbar or even by a LNK/BAT file.
nellossie

Post by *nellossie »

Dear MVV, Thanks for replying!

Your advice caused me to look again at the plugin's Readme file. There I found a [VirtualPanel] parameter that does exactly what I wanted. Changing the value of <AutoSaveListOnEachOp> from the default of 0 to 1 results kin exactly the behavior I wanted: VirtualPanel.lst is updated after any change to my virtual folder, and the result is immediately synced by Dropbox to other devices of mine and those of anyone who shares the folder with me. The only potential problem I foresee is if I and someone else I'm sharing my virtual folder with are both using VirtualPanel at the same time, which could result in contention for VirtualPanel.lst
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, auto-save option enables saving VP database when you make changes to virtual FS from TC, and I would recommend using auto-save after some time interval instead of auto-save on each operation (it may be very slow for large database when you do a lot of changes in a time). However you will have to reload database manually in other TC instances which get updated database from Dropbox (I've said about this in my previous post).

If you afraid that auto-merging may damage your database, you can try disabling new database format in settings: new format takes less space but old one is 100% safe to line insertions or deletions because every line contains full virtual path.

BTW you can configure most settings via GUI configuration dialog by opening Virtual Panel's properties within TC, or by using <config command from TC command line.