Total7zip

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bigtimefan

Post by *bigtimefan »

Yes, I can make it use TotalZip... but any .cab that I've tried it on fails with a message that Total Commander cannot open the archive. So my question is, is this correct:

cab=196,%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wcx\Total7zip\Total7zip.wcx

Since there ares no defaults for the flags, I don't know that 196 is correct. I have tried several other combinations without luck as well. :oops:
Total7zip

Post by *Total7zip »

you can try this line

Code: Select all

cab=708,%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wcx\Total7zip\Total7zip.wcx
It works for me.

If it doesn't work with your cab file, than can you please upload this file, I will check it here.

And, please, show me Debug View log - there is an error code in the log and it can help us a lot.
bigtimefan

Post by *bigtimefan »

This is all that Debug View gives:

[984] [Total7zip] OpenArchiveW, hArcData=0, [-], c:\temp\test\data1.cab, open(TC)=E_UNKNOWN_FORMAT, Archive format unknown,(Total7zip)=FAILED_7ZIP, mode=PK_OM_LIST

If you PM me an email address, I could send it to you, but I just grabbed some cabs from the \program files\Installsheild Installation Information\ directory which everyone should have filled with examples.
iana

Post by *iana »

but I just grabbed some cabs from the \program files\Installsheild Installation Information\ directory which everyone should have filled with examples.
Install shield cabs aren't ms cabs so you can't open them with any unpacker that doesn't support install shield cabs (even tc's internal cab unpacker can't open them, niether can the standalone 7-zip or winrar or even windows explorer - explorer supports unpacking ms cabs), for those cabs use I5comp.exe and I6comp.exe with multiarc.wcx (search totalcmd.net), plus if I'm not mistaken the files in "program files\Installsheild" are incomplete and only contain uninstall information (they contain only file names not files)

just opened an install shield cab with a hex editor and it's header was (ISc - 49 53 63) while ms cabs have a header (MSCF - 4D 53 43 46) and I checked the only Install shield cab I had in "C:\Program Files\InstallShield" and it wasn't a complete archive it only contained uninstall information.
Last edited by iana on 2011-01-04, 01:57 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
iana

Post by *iana »

you can also try IShield.wcx from http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/IShield.html
I believe it supports install shield 6 cabs, not sure about 5 and earlier versions
U can get multiarc here http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/multiarc.html i5comp.exe and i6comp.exe should be here http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/arc_ct.html
Tomyboy

Post by *Tomyboy »

Hello,

I've got a problem with the portable mode of the Total7zip plugin.

It does work as it should, however it always creates a regkey in "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\7-Zip\]".

I think it's a normal behaviour when "7zG.exe" gets called by the plugin.

But anyway, I wanted to ask if this could be avoided.

Thank you and regards
Tomyboy
iana

Post by *iana »

haven't used this plugin (yet) but I believe both 7zG.exe and the standalone 7za.exe use the same switches (7za is the console standalone app) and it doesn't write anything in the registry, so you could get 7za.exe from sf.net or 7-zip.com and use it instead of the GUI version (simply rename it).
ps. while we're discussing 7zG.exe I've seen a few applications using the 7z.dll for packing 7z archives without 7zG.exe (speed Commander, Power Archiver etc.) my question is is this application necessary? can't the packing be done with 7z.dll?
Total7zip

Post by *Total7zip »

7zG.exe reads its settings from the registry.
7zG.exe writes settings to the registry.
7zG.exe is used in my plugin because it knows better about 7-zip settings and it can be updated by 7-zip author.

I will check if I can delete this regkey, but it's tricky and unsafe.

by the way - Total7zip 0.7.0.7 is ready
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/Total7zip.html
sticazzi

Post by *sticazzi »

Total7zip wrote: 7zG.exe is used in my plugin ...
But if It's not portable (so Host Pc/machine dependent) what's the benefit to use a portable TC?
Imho is better to use the portable 7za.exe or 7z.dll.

Just my two cents :)
Total7zip

Post by *Total7zip »

7zG.exe is almost portable - it needs just one registry key and my plugin creates this key (if it doesn't exist).
The only small problem here - plugin doesn't delete this key after 7zG was used.

The main difference between 7zG and 7za.exe - 7za doesn't have options dialog. In other words - you cannot configure 7za.

So I think this regkey is not a problem at all.

And don't forget - you can use 64-bit version of 7zG and cannot use 64-bit version of 7z.dll =)
bettersjb

Post by *bettersjb »

a good packer plugin, I'M using it.
sticazzi

Post by *sticazzi »

Total7zip wrote:7zG.exe is almost portable - it needs just one registry key and my plugin creates this key (if it doesn't exist).
So the 7zG's (and plugin) user settings are stored in that registry key?
If yes, the plugin it's not portable at all (and It's host pc dependent, so a TC portable is totally useless...) :cry:
Total7zip

Post by *Total7zip »

sticazzi wrote:
Total7zip wrote:7zG.exe is almost portable - it needs just one registry key and my plugin creates this key (if it doesn't exist).
So the 7zG's (and plugin) user settings are stored in that registry key?
If yes, the plugin it's not portable at all (and It's host pc dependent, so a TC portable is totally useless...) :cry:
no. you got this wrong.
settings are stored in Total7zip.xml file.
it's located in plugin directory. Plugin just creates these regkeys before it strats 7zG and after that restores previous state.
so - plugin is 99,9% portable.
Erendir

Post by *Erendir »

looks like Ctrl+PgDwn is broken (i'm using v0707):
just rename any correct 7z-archive, and try Ctrl+PgDwn on them. I'm getting "Error in packed file" message.
infimum

Post by *infimum »

Erendir wrote:ljust rename any correct 7z-archive, and try Ctrl+PgDwn on them. I'm getting "Error in packed file" message.
Works fine on mine.