Total Commander extDir v1.6.0.5 - Extended directory creator

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Bluestar wrote:
Peter wrote:MkDir and "MKFile":
In my new structures I have to create empty files too.
Currently it isn't possible. However... since you are not the first one who request / asks about this feature (...),
i think i should implement it...
In the final (non-RC) 1.6 i'll try to find a way that will allow the user to create files as well as directories with the utility. :wink:

Bluestar
Great. I would use that too.
Can we already collect ideas?
What do we need to create files?
- an path to an folder to create the files in
- an list to write or copy file names, one on each line

Nice to have features:
[X] Remove extensions
[X] Add extension [ txt]
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

Hi Bluestar

here some short replies without quotes:

Installation:
The installation also offers the fine command-configuration. It would be a pity if this feature would be lost due a missing installation (as I described above).

Translations:
I wanted only to give a small advice; it is clear that it takes time to integrate it all.

MKDir with "List+Variables":
The idea of the VBS is easy to describe. You have an INI which describes the structure which can include placeholders:

Code: Select all

Project-*
Project-*\data
Project-*\docs
Project-*\scans
Archive\Project-*
Starting the VBS displays a simple dialogue:

Please enter string for placeholders: ____
Then I enter "12345" or "test" and the VBS creates the structure like this:

Project-12345
Project-12345\data
Project-12345\docs
Project-12345\scans
Archive\Project-12345
You could create an INI with that structure:

[Placeholders]
1=*
2=#
[Basicstructure]
Project-*
Project-*\#-data
Project-*\#-docs
Project-*\#-scans
Archive\Project-*
[Filestructure]
Project-*\#.log
The tool will read this INI, see that there are two Placeholders, asks for two strings and makes the structure and files ... :idea:

Sounds easy, indeed. :roll: :roll:

Regards

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@Peter:
I've implemented these placeholder & dirstructure features in RC2 (which is now online) - could you (and anyone who is interested) please test it and give me ideas about what do you think needs to be changed / what isn't? =)

@Stefan2:
Of course you can, these opinions are always very welcomed.
The path is the given path in the top of the utility (which can be edited manually by pressing Ctrl + E), while the Extended mode's memo control could contain the list of dirs & files - is this the way you thought too?
Nice to have features:
[X] Remove extensions
[X] Add extension [ txt]
You mean remove / add extensions inside the list, right?
For example: selecting 3 line in the Extended mode's list (line1: abc; line2: xxxx; line3: word), clicking on a button, and typing "txt" modifes these previous lines to: abc.txt; xxxx.txt; word.txt. This is the way you meant? (just to collate our conception)

@petermad:
Tried to fix the extra-space problem with an alternative solution (reading the system font's size & adding just as many spaces until each lines length is less then a given width [by pixels]), which works fine on Vista / Win7. Does that solves your problem too? Actually it's not a big deal if not, because i plan to replace this Attribute popup with a special form in one of the next versions, that would allow the user to change the directories date & timestamp too.

@SAPetrovich & EricB:
Could you please try if you still have exceptions related to MkDirHistory-saving with the RC2 version?
Last edited by Bluestar on 2012-01-16, 01:25 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
» Developer of Total Updater & extDir utility.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

[face=tahoma]Total Commander extDir v1.6 RC2

Contains updated Danish & German language files (thanks to petermad & Der Schrauber), some important bugfixes, and a couple of new functions.
Update is strongly recommended!
(read the changelog for more info...)

:arrow: Download | 16-01-2012 | MD5 (exe): d4fe4e55f9be6a4250b4f7cf43a691f0
Note: McAfee (and the new ByteHero 1.0.0.1) shows it as a false positive, the utility passes all the other (more than 40) antivirus tests (click here for the report).

In case you're a translator of tc extDir, please click here to download just the new lines in v1.6 RC2 [differences between 1.5c and 1.6RC2] (link updated).

Changelog:

* New: Updated Danish language (thanks to petermad)
* New: Updated German language (thanks to Der Schraube)
* New: Ability to use placeholders & user-predefined structures (you can load them by pressing Ctrl + O if any has been defined in the utility's configuration file ("tc extDir.ini") (suggested by Peter)
* New: Ability to use * (subdir) character in Normal mode's directory combobox too (example: Maindirectory*SubDir1*SubDir2*etc) [only in case not a full path has been typed to the combobox]
* New: Ability to type full paths (like c:\Create\This\Dir) to the directory combobox (only in Normal mode)
* New: Added a Language tab for the Configuration dialog - now its possible the change the utility's language runtime
* New: From now on you can press CTRL + Z hotkey to use the Undo function (in case you are in Normal mode)
* New: From now on you can press CTRL + 1, CTRL + 2 and CTRL + 3 hotkeys to activate the instant modifiers (Dot To Space, etc)
* New: You can manually set [Configuration] SpeedBtnColor=000 (or any other color) to override the color of the "+", "Extended/Normal" and "Load" buttons (for example if your display has low contrast)
* New: You can use [ThemeInfo] SpeedBtnColor=359CEB (or any other color) in your user theme configuration files (theme.ini) - see more info on the ghisler.ch forum
* Change: show the built-in "Load" popup instead of "Open file..." dialog in case the utility has been started on a ".txt" file (the TC's caret is on a txt file)
* Change: now you can use Ctrl + V in Normal mode with directory names containing enters (example: #13#10 Once.Upon.a.Time.S01E01 #13#10)
* Change: expand the environment variables (if any can be found) in the user-given MkDirHistory filename / path
* Change: using a better, more stable algorithm to convert the HTML colors to TColor values
* Change: do not automatically change the current path to the "directory name" in case the dirname contains a path-resolving environment variable (suggested by [Yustas.NeO])
* Change: totalcmd.net links to ghisler.ch - main reason: this way the users can instantly write suggestions / bugreports
* Fixed: some bugs regarding MkDirHistory-handling (thanks to SAPetrovich & EricB for the bug reports)
* Fixed: loading & saving MkDirHistory if AlternateUserIni or RedirectSection contains environment variable(s)
* Fixed: proper handling of user-given MkDirHistory file (do not load anything from wincmd.ini - or the AlternateUserIni file, if it's set - in case user-given file is used)
* Fixed: extra space problem in the Attributes popup (caused by differences between system fonts) (reported by petermad)
* Fixed: pressing Ctrl + V in Normal mode (in the directory combobox) with a single line starting and / or ending with enter(s) made the utility switch to Extended mode (instead of trimming the blank lines)
* Fixed: problem causing access violation (and application termination) in case a complex env.var-named directory is pasted from clipboard (e.g. %APPDATA%\%OS%\%USERNAME%)
* Fixed: a problem of * subdir-locator character, which caused TC to incorrectly jump into (or set caret to) the newly created directory/directories
* Fixed: incorrectly resolved replacements after manually modifying the current path (Ctrl + E)
* Fixed: Ctrl + Tab didn't work properly after using CTRL + V in the (Normal mode's) directory combobox
* Fixed: Ctrl + Tab didn't work with "|" separator characters
* Fixed: rare cases of Undo button's improper working
* Fixed: some other things...

Notice:

From RC2 you can use placeholders & load user-defined directory structure-lists.
All you have to do is to add some new lines to the utility's config file ("tc extDir.ini"), than save it.

Here's an example (click here to check it on pastebin):

[Placeholders]
#
?
!

[UserStructure0]
Name=DirStructure #01
Project-*
Project-*\#-data?
Project-*\#-docs?
Project-*\#-scans?

Then press Ctrl + O hotkey inside the utility, or click on the Load button on the top of the main window, and select the name of the needed directory structure.
[/face]
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Updated Danish translation can be downloaded at http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/lng_dan16rc2.zip
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
SAPetrovich

Post by *SAPetrovich »

Hello.
I tested the RC2. Unfortunately, the problem described here not been fully solved.

1. When the "tc extDir.ini" contains:
  • Code: Select all

[Additional]
    CloseWindow=True
    [Configuration]
    MkDirHistoryFile=c:\t\History.ini
    The path "c:\t" does not exist.
    In this case, the window is not closed and into file "Log\tc extDir.log" is written:

FormName.......: tc_extDirForm
    Func/Proc......: LoadMkDirHistory
    EClassName.....: EInOutError
    ErrorMsg.......: Invalid filename
    PrgVer.........: 1.6 RC2 (16-01-2012)
    OS.............: Windows XP (x86)
    Language.......: Русский
    Date...........: 16-01-2012|11:18:01
    -----
    If path "c:\t" exist, "extDir" work correct.
2. When the "tc extDir.ini" does not include the "MkDirHistoryFile=",
  • Total commander started from path "c:\tc\" with command line parametr: "/i=c:\tc+SAP\wincmd.ini"
    File "c:\tc+SAP\wincmd.ini" contain:

[Configuration]
    AlternateUserIni=%COMMANDER_INI%\..\..\tc\WinCmd_Screen & Unknown.ini
    [MkDirHistory]
    RedirectSection=%COMMANDER_INI%\..\WinCmd-History.ini
    In this case, TC works with history in the file "c:\tc+SAP\WinCmd-History.ini".
    But "extDir" use history in "c:\tc\WinCmd_Screen & Unknown.ini". This is wrong!

However, if "tc extDir.ini" contain:

[Additional]
    CloseWindow=True
    [Configuration]
    MkDirHistoryFile=%COMMANDER_INI%\..\WinCmd-History.ini
    then "extDir" use history in "c:\tc+SAP\WinCmd-History.ini" - It correctly
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Bluestar wrote:
@Stefan2:
Nice to have features:
[X] Remove extensions
[X] Add extension [ txt]
You mean remove / add extensions inside the list, right?
For example: selecting 3 line in the Extended mode's list (line1: abc; line2: xxxx; line3: word), clicking on a button, and typing "txt" modifes these previous lines to: abc.txt; xxxx.txt; word.txt. This is the way you meant? (just to collate our conception)
I don't think about individual lines but the whole list,
but generally i want to manipulate the file name part behind the last dot, yes.

1. i want to remove any extension (maybe to use this list to create folders later on)
2. i want to add extension (new fixed, or an additional ext as "bak", or any string)

Example 1:
- select a few zip archives and copy the names to clipboard
- paste the clipboard into your tool
- remove the extension (zip) from all lines
- add new fixed extension [ TXT] (to create an text file for each archive)

Example 2:
- select a few scripts (VBS)
- paste the clipboard into your tool
- remove the extension (VBS)
- add new string [- Test 2.vbs] to all lines

---------

Other interesting features:

(0)Create [ 100] empty files with number as name, (0)padded with leading zeros.
( )Create 26 emtpy files A-Z
(0) Add leading string [ New_]
(0) Add trailing string/extension [ .tXt]

New_001.tXt
New_002.tXt
New_100.tXt
----------------

More? :D

( ) Fill files with garbage up to [ 1024] bytes
( ) Use this file as template for the copies [ C:\temp\template.txt ] [Browse...]

---------------

EDIT: with "Create" i mean: fill the list with this strings, so i can manipulate them before real creating the files.
Last edited by Stefan2 on 2012-01-16, 08:35 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Bluestar,

I've done a quick test with RC2 on my configuration (no full install, just a replace of RC1 by RC2). It does not matter whether I let ExtDir determine the MkDirHistory path or set it manually: the MkDirHistory section is now correctly addressed in the correct file. No exceptions occur anymore. Well done!

Regards, EricB
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

If I use an external lng_dan.ini file and open the new Language configuration dialog, then it shows that "CHN - Chinese" is active. Maybe it could show that lng_dan.ini is active in stead?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

Hello Bluestart

here my remarks for RC2 (Quick test):
(Maybe some things are already discussed ...)

Manual:
Pressing F1 or starting the menu results in a very quick "flimmering" (changing the focus betwen TC and Extdir). I have to shut down TC, then I can see the manual.
Maybe it is better to create a CHM-file?

Preview of templates
The preview is only refreshed when I select a template in the upper part of the dialogue ("New dialogue"). Selecting a template in the list below refreshes name and content, but not preview.

New template dialogue:
The naming is a little bit confusing. For me the "Template" consists of "Name" and of "Content" (or "Definition"). Now the word "Template" is used for the "Content of the template".
Just a small remark ...

Pressing a modifier removes the selection for "Replacement allowed".

The leading strings in the list of the templates ([1], [2], [A], [A], (Yes, double)) - what are they good for?

The "OK-Button" changes between OK and ENTER. Why?

Text-size, Dialogue-size:
For me (or better: My eyes) the style of the tool is new and interesting, but text-size should be higher and text-color should be in "clear black" (or some dialogue should be wider). That is personal style, but I have problems to read it easy ....
EDIT: "Text-size and colour" is solved (can be configured in INI-File), but some dialogues (example: Templates) should be resizeable.

Placeholders:
Seem to work fine for the first test. Two little questions:
- Is it possible to load the structure with placeholders from an extra file?
- After creating the structure the tool changes to the last (deepest) folder. Bug or feature?

Best regards and
thanks for this tool

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

Next remarks:

MKDir - History:
If it is set to "Automatic" - where is it saved?
What's new wrote:* Change: show the built-in "Load" popup instead of "Open file..." dialog in case the utility has been started on a ".txt" file (the TC's caret is on a txt file)
Does not work for me.
"Load" appears
- only in "Extended" mode
- with all files and not only with TXT

Creation of empty files:
Does not work at the moment (?)

Shortcuts in Menus and Tooltips:
Maybe you can add the shortcuts (F3, Ctrl+...) to tooltips?

File without extension:
Select in TC a file without extension - press F7 - the default value is now "filename BLANK filesize" (example: "myfile 16").
Bug or feature?

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

petermad wrote:Updated Danish translation can be downloaded at http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/lng_dan16rc2.zip
Thank you, included in RC3.
petermad wrote:If I use an external lng_dan.ini file and open the new Language configuration dialog, then it shows that "CHN - Chinese" is active. Maybe it could show that lng_dan.ini is active in stead?
Fixed in RC3. - thanks for reporting this bug.
I've also added a new feature in RC3 which lets the user to change the external languages from the Configuration dialog / Language tab's list.
SAPetrovich wrote:The path "c:\t" does not exist.
In this case, the window is not closed and into file "Log\tc extDir.log" is written: [...]
Fixed in RC3.
In this case, TC works with history in the file "c:\tc+SAP\WinCmd-History.ini".
But "extDir" use history in "c:\tc\WinCmd_Screen & Unknown.ini". This is wrong!
Fixed in RC3. - thanks for the reports & testing.
EricB wrote:I've done a quick test with RC2 on my configuration (no full install, just a replace of RC1 by RC2). It does not matter whether I let ExtDir determine the MkDirHistory path or set it manually: the MkDirHistory section is now correctly addressed in the correct file. No exceptions occur anymore.
Thanks for trying it out, nice to hear that it works for you without any exceptions.

About the remarks:

Peter wrote:Manual:
Pressing F1 or starting the menu results in a very quick "flimmering" (changing the focus betwen TC and Extdir). I have to shut down TC, then I can see the manual.
Maybe it is better to create a CHM-file?
You're right, i shouldn't stick to the current idea of the Help dialog (pretend to be the part of Total Commander & display it inside the opposite TC pane), cause its a bit buggy.
In the final version i'll display it in a normal, single dialog window.
Preview of templates
The preview is only refreshed when I select a template in the upper part of the dialogue ("New dialogue"). Selecting a template in the list below refreshes name and content, but not preview.
Fixed in RC3. - thanks for reporting it.
New template dialogue:
The naming is a little bit confusing. For me the "Template" consists of "Name" and of "Content" (or "Definition"). Now the word "Template" is used for the "Content of the template". Just a small remark ...
Actually i see your point, the naming is a little bit confusing - however i won't change it in the near future... the reason is simple: it would need every single translator to retranslate this line, and that wouldn't take place in a short interval of time - and the mixed lines (in one language: Content, and in the other: Template [in the current lng]) could cause plenty of misunderstandings... beside this, it's not so hard to figure out what does "Template" means, cause it immediately changes the preview when you type anything into this control.
Pressing a modifier removes the selection for "Replacement allowed".
Thats not a bug: the utility automatically decides is "Replacements" is needed to be checked or unchecked (based on the content of directory edit control) - the only thing you can change is unticking the checkbox, if you don't want to use replacements for the current session - that way the utility won't tick it automatically if you change the directory edit control.
So ticking the replacement checkbox doesn't make any sense in case the directory edit control (combobox - Normal / memo - Extended) doesn't contains a line which includes one or more special variable(s) (%s, %S, {un} etc) or environment variable(s) (%APPDATA%, %OS%, etc).
The leading strings in the list of the templates ([1], [2], [A], [A], (Yes, double)) - what are they good for?
The first alpabet between the brackets indicates that what key is needed to be pressed after pressing the CTRL + T hotkey to instantly activate a template.
For example, pressing Ctrl + T then pressing the key 2 activates the second template ("New directory (%D-%N-%y)").
The same applies to user-defined templates: for example if you have a template, which is named to "OS + user", after pressing CTRL + T you can press the "O" key to activate this template.
The "OK-Button" changes between OK and ENTER. Why?
Thats pretty easy to figure out: in case you type a directory which already exists in the current path, the utility detects it, and allows the user to enter into this directory instead of creating it (which wouldn't be possible).
Text-size, Dialogue-size:
EDIT: "Text-size and colour" is solved (can be configured in INI-File), but some dialogues (example: Templates) should be resizeable.
I can make the template dialog resizable in the future, if it's good for you (but the Configuration dialog won't change for sure, that would cause too much work regarding control realigns & resizes and other GUI-things...).
Placeholders:
Seem to work fine for the first test. Two little questions:
- Is it possible to load the structure with placeholders from an extra file?
- After creating the structure the tool changes to the last (deepest) folder. Bug or feature?
Thanks for trying it out. =) Yes, i plan to improve this feature by adding the capability of detecting & loading the structures from external files (for example files named "struct_AnyName.ini" would be loaded to the "Load" popup).
About your second remark: it's how the utility works - after the creation of dirs it automatically changes the Total Commander's path to the deepest level. In the current version there's no way to turn it off, but i think thats not too disturbing at all - however if you'd like to, i can add an option which lets the user decide if he/she wants this feature to be active or not.
MKDir - History:
If it is set to "Automatic" - where is it saved?
First of all, the utility checks if the wincmd.ini is Unicode-encoded or not. Reason: currently it can't properly handle unicode ini's (only ANSI & UTF8).

The current steps:

1) wincmd.ini is unicode-encoded: the application will automatically create an external file inside the utility's directory called "tc extDir.lst", and use it to save MkDirHistory into.
2) wincmd.ini is not unicode-encoded: the utility checks some additional things, in the following order:
- a) does it contains [Configuration]AlternateUserIni section - if yes, save the MkDirHistory to this file
- b) does it contains [MkDirHistory]RedirectSection - in case yes (and AlternateUserIni was "null"), save the MkDirHistory to this file [actually a) and b) point needs to be switched - fixed in RC3).
- c) if can't find any of the sections / keys above, then save it to "wincmd.ini" (MkDirHistory section)
3) If the file that has been set in AlternateUserIni or RedirectSection is Unicode encoded, save to "tc extDir.lst" instead.
* Change: show the built-in "Load" popup instead of "Open file..." dialog in case the utility has been started on a ".txt" file (the TC's caret is on a txt file)
Does not work for me.
"Load" appears
- only in "Extended" mode
- with all files and not only with TXT
I think you misunderstood this changelog-item.
It means that previously that didn't matter if you started the utility with the Total Commander's caret set to a .txt file: when you pressed Ctrl + O hotkey, the "Open..." dialog was the one which instantly showed, instead of the utility's internal "Load" popup (which lets the user to quickly select the file that is "selected" in TC).

Load button is visible & active in the following cases:

Normal mode:
Generally never, except:
a) the user has set directory structures in "tc extDir.ini" - that way the "Load" button can be seen in Normal mode too (lets the user quickly select any of the user-given directory structures)
b) the Total Commander's caret is set on a .txt file (before starting the utility)
(in both cases the Load popup is showed instead of "Open..." dialog)

Extended mode:
Always. There are two ways it operates:
a) In case there are user-given directory structures in wincmd.ini OR the utility has been started with TC caret set on a ".txt" file: Show the Load popup
b) No user-given directory structures & the TC's caret is not on a .txt file: show the "Open..." dialog window

Creation of empty files:
Does not work at the moment (?)
Not yet implemented (and i think i never told that it already is). :P
Will be ready in RC3 (at soonest), or in the final 1.6 (much likely).
Shortcuts in Menus and Tooltips:
Maybe you can add the shortcuts (F3, Ctrl+...) to tooltips?
Do you mean to add the shortcut tips to the menus (e.g. Configuration popup)?
File without extension:
Select in TC a file without extension - press F7 - the default value is now "filename BLANK filesize" (example: "myfile 16").
Bug or feature?
Aww... i thought i fixed all these kind of bugs in RC1 - unfortunately it seems not. However i can't reproduce the problem...
Are there any special options in your wincmd.ini? In case yes, could you please send it to me, or tell me exactly which are these special options?

The only advice i can tell is to turn on the new (WM_CopyData) method to get the initial informations from Total Commander... you can use this method by pressing Ctrl + P in the utility (or click on Options -> Configuration), then select the Advanced tab, and choose the "New & more stable method (from TC v8.0B10)". However - as the caption says - you can only use it if you use Total Commander 8.0 Beta 10 or a newer version.
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

Hello Bluestar

thanks for the detailed reply - a lot of work :)
I think that I understood (nearly) all, but I have to state more precisely some small things:

Template dialogue:
Yes, please make it resizable.

Option to NOT jump in the deepest level.
Yes, please add.

Shortcut in Menu:
Yes, I meant this like in standard-menus:

open ...   Strg+O
Save ......Strg+S
Exit ......Alt+F4
Regards

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
nadav.sagi

Post by *nadav.sagi »

Bluestar wrote:jo2h2, thanks for trying it out with a clean installation & also for sending your wincmd.ini file.

I found out that the problem is caused by a Total Commander feature called "Custom columns" (Configuration -> Options -> Custom columns).
If any has been set, the utility simply can't get the correct control handles, thats why it fails to catch the currently selected file / dirname too.

Workaround: unfortunately the only workaround at the moment is to remove all of the custom columns.

The bug will be fixed in v1.6.
I still have this bug (filename>size) with 1.6RC2 even after clearing all custom colomn settings. It only happens in "Full" view, "Brief" view is fine.

a clean wincmd.ini works fine

Win7 x64 ENG, Totalcmd 7.56a

I'll try sending you my ini file
ABTOP

Post by *ABTOP »

2Bluestar
Could You please make the option to change the program window size and to store the selected size