Total Commander extDir v1.6.0.5 - Extended directory creator

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

Thanks for the log SAPetrovich - it means the problem is most likely caused by a special wincmd.ini option that is used to change the MkDirHistory file's default name and / or path (maybe your MkDirHistory is redirected? However it should't be a problem from this version...).

To make sure that the problem is related to wincmd.ini & the MkDirHistory section, please start extDir, click on the Options (Ctrl + P), then choose the third (Advanced) tab, and check the "Give the path manually" option - then press OK, restart the application (to be sure its already using the new history file from the start..), and try to create a directory with "Close the window after creation" option's checked and unchecked state... let's see if it works or not this way.
» Developer of Total Updater & extDir utility.
SAPetrovich

Post by *SAPetrovich »

The problem is not solved.

Yes. In my "wincmd.ini" many sections of the redirected. In particular:

Code: Select all

[MkDirHistory]
RedirectSection=%COMMANDER_INI%\..\WinCmd-History.ini
However, your proposed solution does not help. I have made the changes:

tc extDir.ini:

[Configuration]
MkDirHistoryFile=c:\t\History.ini
c:\t\History.ini:

[MkDirHistory]
0=test0
1=test1
- Restarted the all (tc extDir.exe and totalcmd.exe)
- Clear Log\tc extDir.log
- Tried to create a folder.

Result Log\tc extDir.log:

FormName.......: tc_extDirForm
Func/Proc......: LoadMkDirHistory
EClassName.....: EAccessViolation
ErrorMsg.......: Access violation at address 00000030. Read of address 00000030
PrgVer.........: 1.6 RC1 (31-12-2011)
OS.............: Windows XP (x86)
Language.......: Русский
Date...........: 04-01-2012|12:18:19
-----
P.S.
The old version of "tc extDir" (1.5.3.0) closes the window and does not create a "Log\tc extDir.log". However, in my settings reordering (see above), the"tc extDir" creates the file "WinCmd-History.ini" in its own folder. This is not correct! Previously I did not pay attention :).

Sorry for bad English
EricB

Post by *EricB »

I second SAPetrovich's report. The problem is most likely due to redirection.
I have this setting in wincmd.ini: AlternateUserIni = %COMMANDER_PATH%\Settings\%COMPUTERNAME%.ini, all MkDirHistory is automatically redirected to this file.
I've tried to use the advanced setting in extDir for MKDirHistory file. The setting for utility chosen path will render a Access violation at address 00404180 in module 'tc extDir.exe'; this is probably a file not found message.
If I set it to manual path using %COMMANDER_PATH%\Settings\%COMPUTERNAME%.ini, this will render a Access violation at address 00002550. My guess: invalid path, because the environment vars used are not resolved.

Regards, EricB
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Bluestar
Just as a note, I have figured out why it is not possible for me to download your tool on my work PC:
creepy McAfee corrupts ZIP package after detecting Generic.de malware.

Likely: copied from pendrive and added to exclusions. Now it works perfectly well.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@SAPetrovich & EricB:
Thanks for the additional reports for both of you.
Now i can reproduce the AV's, the bug is definitely caused by the inappropriate handling of redirections (especially if both AlternateUserIni & [MkDirHistory] RedirectSection exists, and one of them [or both] contains environment vars in its value)

EricB, you're right, on the one hand the problem is caused by not resolving the environment variables in the path, on the other hand i found further issues which needs to be fixed to properly handle these situations...

Will be fixed in 1.6 RC2, i'm going to rewrite the MkDirHistory-saving function from the scratch.

@fenix_productions:
Thanks for the information, it's good to know that your download-problem was caused by McAfee... i'll try to figure out what could cause the false positive - however its a pretty hard work, and i'm sure that i can't remove the affected lines from the source code, maybe just rewrite them in another way (if it's possible)... :?
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Setting an internal language

Post by *Peter »

I tried to set the language to German (which should be an internal language) - but did not find any button for this.

How to select a language?

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Peter
You set the language during installation - there is a blinking arrow pointing right in the upper right half of the window and the word "English" - click on that,

But I really think thre should be an option after installation to select the language from the settings menu.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

2petermad
thanks, but "Installation"?
Unzipping and Command-definition, but no "Installation" ... (RC 1.6.)

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Command-definition
That's what I mean by Installation. - It even says "Install & configure - see: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/tcextdir.png
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

petermad wrote:....It even says "Install & configure - see: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/tcextdir.png
Maybe I am the "Dummy of the day", but I have never seen this menu. My first double-clich on the "tc extdir.exe" results on strange flimmering of the info, that's all.

Peter :?: :?:
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Peter

Try and copy "tc extdir.exe" somewhere else and then execute it again.
License #524 (1994)
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

petermad wrote:...and then execute it again.
Worked now on another PC - thank you.

An interessting think is the installaation path:
- it displayed this:
[img]http://t1.pixhost.org/thumbs/3078/11023527_extdir_installation.png[/img]
- and installed to:

d:\Program Files\totalcmd\Sonderprogramme\ExtDir\
-> path not correct displayed
-> wonder why the software selected this path

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

Hi Peter.

However petermad already told everything related to your problem (thanks!), here are some additional info about your further remarks:
Peter wrote:-> path not correct displayed
Path is correctly displayed. The only thing why you actually saw "gramme\ExtDir\..." instead of "Sonderprogramme\ExtDir\..." is that these are two editboxes in the top of the installation window: one of them is intended to display the Total Commander's path (which the utility got by resolving the "%COMMANDER_PATH%" runtime environment variable), while the other one (which needs to be scrolled to the start, thats why you only saw "gramme") only displays the installation directory & filename, which you can manually edit to what you'd like.
Peter wrote:-> wonder why the software selected this path
See the reason above - the utility uses the current Total Commander instance's environment variable(s), so the path is automatically detected.

About the installer:
In case you run the utility from a directory outside (!) Total Commander's directory (for example: c:\tc extDir.exe; c:\Downloads\extDir\tc extDir.exe) the utility's installer will start automatically (instead of the utility's main window), allowing the user to set the Language, the activation hotkey, and the installation directory & filename.

Language change:
One more solution is available without "reinstalling" the utility: you can simply edit "tc extDir.ini", in which you can find:

[Language]
CurrentLng=ENG - just simply modify the ENG to DEU, save the file, and you're done. :)

petermad wrote:But I really think thre should be an option after installation to select the language from the settings menu.
You are totally right: RC2 will contain a language selector in the Configuration dialog - which i intend to release tonight, or tomorrow at the latest. Stay tuned. :D
Last edited by Bluestar on 2012-01-13, 16:02 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

Hi Bluestar
Bluestar wrote:...Path is correctly displayed. The only thing why ....
Ok. But here I want to note that for me (on Win XP with "old Win NT display") the display has a low contrast. For examples the button "+" and "extended" or the modifier-buttons are not easy to see. Selecting another theme does not change the problem.

Bluestar wrote:...In case you run the utility from a directory outside (!) Total Commander's directory...
This seem to explain my installation program. I unzipped the EXE immediately to a sub-dir of TC, so I missed the entire installation process. IMHO this could be a problem for many users.

Bluestar wrote:...Language change:
One more solution is available without "reinstalling" the utility: you can simply edit "tc extDir.ini", in which you can find:

[Language]
CurrentLng=ENG - just simply modify the ENG to DEU, save the file, and you're done. ...
On every language setting I don't know if I have to select "DEUtsch" or "GERman"; "FRAncais" or "FREnch" :shock:

Translations:
The tooltips (on Modifier and so on) are not in German. Also the file-attributes (R, H, A, S) are in English.

MKDir with "List+Variables":
In another thread http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=25507&start=20 HolgerK developed a script with
- reads the basic dir-structure from a file and
- replaces the placeholders with a value, entered by the user

Is this a feature which can be done by your tool too?

MkDir and "MKFile":
In my new structures I have to create empty files too. Now I make it with TC with Shift+F4 -> "myfile.txt".
-> This would extend the tool from a "Folder-Maker" to an "Structure-Maker"

--> and the next step would be "Structure-Maker incl. PermissionCreator" :wink:

best regards and
happy coding

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

Peter wrote:Ok. But here I want to note that for me (on Win XP with "old Win NT display") the display has a low contrast. For examples the button "+" and "extended" or the modifier-buttons are not easy to see. Selecting another theme does not change the problem.
RC2 will contain an option (the user can set it in the configuration ".ini" file) with which you can set the small SpeedButton's color in html format (for example to 000).
It's already implemented in the new RC2 version:

[Configuration]
SpeedBtnColor=000 (or #000)

is the thing which will be needed to be set in "tc extDir.ini" to activate (the color is your choice at all) [the "SpeedBtnColor" key can be used in theme configuration files as well from RC2].
Peter wrote:This seem to explain my installation program. I unzipped the EXE immediately to a sub-dir of TC, so I missed the entire installation process. IMHO this could be a problem for many users.
You're right, however that (missing the installation window) won't be a big problem in case the language changing will be available in the Configuration dialog too.
Peter wrote:On every language setting I don't know if I have to select "DEUtsch" or "GERman"; "FRAncais" or "FREnch" :shock:
Of course, i agree - i just wrote it as an additional information, not as a basic way of switching between languages. :P
Peter wrote:The tooltips (on Modifier and so on) are not in German. Also the file-attributes (R, H, A, S) are in English.
Actually i can't really do anything about it: the only languages which i manage is English & Hungarian (they are always instantly updated with a new version) - all the other internal language files are translated by the great Total Commander community: simply it takes time for the translators to update the new lines, that's why they're still in English.

However the German & Danish language files are already updated (thanks to Der Schrauber & petermad!), and RC2 will contain them for sure.

Peter wrote:MKDir with "List+Variables":
In another thread http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=25507&start=20 HolgerK developed a script with
- reads the basic dir-structure from a file and
- replaces the placeholders with a value, entered by the user

- reading the basic dir-structure from a file - its possible at the moment (reading .txt file) [press Ctrl + O, or switch to Ext. mode and click on Load]
- replaces the placeholders with a value, entered by the user - sorry, but i cant really understand this part... if you mean replacing strings on-the-fly, currently its not possible within the software (only with some modification in the utility's configuration file, click here to check the sample - its the Notice at the bottom of the post), however with a text editor it can be done without any problem.

Or do you mean a special file format which contains dir-structure in a given way... ?
Could you please attach a prepared file to let me see how do you mean?
Peter wrote:MkDir and "MKFile":
In my new structures I have to create empty files too. Now I make it with TC with Shift+F4 -> "myfile.txt".
-> This would extend the tool from a "Folder-Maker" to an "Structure-Maker"
--> and the next step would be "Structure-Maker incl. PermissionCreator" :wink:
Currently it isn't possible. However... since you are not the first one who request / asks about this feature (jslegers also missed it a while ago), i think i should implement it...
In the final (non-RC) 1.6 i'll try to find a way that will allow the user to create files as well as directories with the utility. :wink:
best regards and
happy coding

Peter
Thanks.

Regards,
Bluestar