64-bit Plugins - Personal Snapshot of Unavailable Plugins

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

64-bit Plugins - Personal Snapshot of Unavailable Plugins

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, folks.

Looking at the thread and WIKI article 64-bit plugins (download list), one can state that an impressing number of 64-bit plugins has been created already. This is amazing in particular if one remembers that the first public beta of Total Commander was released only 23 days ago. :D

Now a lot of us know that an almost never-ending list of 32-bit plugins exists most of which have not yet been converted into 64-bit plugins. Hence I started wondering which of those plugins might be used, because I am pretty sure that there is a growing number of ancient plugins which have been superseded, which are no longer used and which will never be missed on a pure 64-bit system.

Here is the current state of my plugin list. The list has got 3 columns:
  • all plugins that have been installed and are really used (even if rarely)
  • those plugins which are available as 64-bit version
  • those plugins unavailable as 64-bit, but for which the source code is publically available :wink:

Code: Select all

Plugin............| 32-bit + 64-bit available.................................| Source Code Package
------------------|-----------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------
7zip..............|.yes .7zip plugin 0.7.6.5.a................................| wcx_7zip_0.7.6.5.src.7z
..................|.http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=232194#232194.|
------------------|-----------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------
Imagine...........| yes Imagine 1.0.8 (separate installations needed).........|
..................|..........http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/imagine.html....|
SFTP..............| yes http://ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Secure_FTP_plugin....|
aes.wcx...........|...........................................................| aes063.zip
bzip2dll.wcx......| yes.......................................................|
..................| http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=226850#226850.|
CatalogMaker.wcx..|...........................................................| catalogmaker_src.zip
cpio.wcx..........|...........................................................| wc_rpm-1.5-src.zip (see rpm.wcx)
dbxplug.wcx.......|...........................................................|
dbxplugconfig.exe.|...........................................................|
deb.wcx...........|...........................................................| wc_deb-1.0-src.zip
diskdir.wcx.......|...........................................................|
msi.wcx......1.2.1|...........................................................|
msi-plus.wcx 0.6.1|...........................................................|
rpm.wcx...........|...........................................................| wc_rpm-1.5-src.zip
TreeCopy.wcx......| replaced by TreeCopyPlus 1.0.51...........................|
..................|...... http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/TreeCopyPlus.html..|
z.wcx.............|...........................................................|
The trouble are those plugins which have not yet been converted and for which no source codes are publically available, because except for diskdir.wcx (:wink:) it seems to be impossible to find out how to contact the authors if need should be.

I wonder which (other) plugins you will be missing in your everyday work that have not been converted to 64-bit, yet.

It might also be helpful to learn which 64-bit plugin can replace a 32-bit plugin which has not been converted to 64-bit like e.g. TreeCopyPlus (thanks Suker) replaces TreeCopy (thanks Valentino).

Cheers,
Karl
--
<Changed / added>
date: 25-10-2011 7zip plugin 0.7.6.5.a (64-bit version compiled by Ch. Ghisler)
</Changed / added>
Last edited by karlchen on 2011-10-25, 10:13 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
romulous

Re: 64-bit Plugins - Personal Snapshot of Unavailable Plugin

Post by *romulous »

karlchen wrote:I wonder which (other) plugins you will be missing in your everyday work that have not been converted to 64-bit, yet.
HTMLView.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

The most missed for me is 7zip plugin. I compiled the sources and it does something, but crashes very often, so it's no good. I think it's not because of my tiny modifications needed to compile it.

I also checked rpm+cpio and was able to get something from Lazarus and it seems to work.

Deb has lot of assembler in sources, so no chance for simple recompile.

CatalogMaker compiled and seems to do something (but I don't use this one, so I can't judge it properly).

If you're brave enough... ;) Contains rpm + cpio + CatalogMaker.

Required small print: None of it is properly tested, so if you value your data, don't even think about it. Also it's not an attempt to take the reward from original authors. :)
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

Dunno how many people are using my stuff but rather none of them will be converted any time soon.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

From my set of used plugins the following are not converted yet:

Content Plugins:
ExeFormat
wdx4i

File System Plugins:
AceHelper
DiskInternals_Reader
FSClipboard
ProcFS (Task Manager)
Uninstaller
VirtualDisk (not yet, of course :) )
WinCE

Lister Plugins:
AppLoader
EMLView
HTMLView
ICLView
SumatraPDF
SynWrite

Packer Plugins:
aes
CHM
Deb
GCF
IMaGinator
ISO
MhtUnPack
ResExtract
RPM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. db unpacker
Total7zip
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I currently don't have the means to convert my ActivePDFView plugin to 64bit. Targeting next spring for a 64bit hardware system and will address conversion at that time. A new version would support 64bit, UNICODE filenames, and multiple instances.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, fenix_productions, hello, JohnFredC,

maybe I should have stated clearly so in my initial post:

Personally, I have got no wish whatsoever to exercise any pressure on any of you guys, who were so kind to give us Total Commander users a lot of nice and useful plugins, to add the 64-bit version.
If you can spare the time and have got the means to do so, fine, your work will be much appreciated.
If for whichever reason you cannot or do not wish to do so, this is all right by me as well.

Moreover, we are in no real hurry, because for the foreseeable future we will be able to go on using T.C. 32-bit and any existing 32-bit plugin on 64-bit Windows systems if we really need the plugin(s) and if there is no 64-bit equivalent.

My idea really is just to find out how many of the hundreds of plugins are still really used and therefore potential candidates for being converted into 64-bit plugins.

Kind regards,
Karl
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

cpio.wcx, deb.wcx, rpm.wcx, lzma.wcx, unrar.wcx and zip.wcx
are available with DoubleCMD x64, or as separate plugins only download. Should work with TC.

Interestingly, DoubleCMD has built-in x64 MultiArc - no need for the "plugin" itself. Under Options/Archivers, 7z, ace, arj, rar, txz

Although you would need to install the respective 64bit .exe's of those tools. All the multi-arc strings are predefined and updateble right within DC's Options/Config.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

One of the more useful plugins I know of was regexp.wdx, it has major flaws though. For every "Regular Expression" that you want to use within a custom column you need to make a copy of it's wdx with a different ini file, and it is not unicode compatible.

Of course something like that would be so much better if Mr.Ghisler would just add the functionality into TC proper.

e.g. we can do this, currently:

COLUMN: 
[tc.path:40-]
But if you sort on that column, it sorts as if the full path was used not just what is actually displayed.

Instead, something like regexp.wdx's feature to filter a column's string, inline, without adding yet another plugin, e.g.

COLUMN:
[tc.path:/(\/[^\/]+)\/$/\1/]
Which is normal sed (regex) syntax for match a slash + AnyCharsNotASlash + slash. (e.g. the current directory name)
Display the sed result in the column, as if that was the "normal" value --- and allow Sorting on that value not the original non-replaced string.

Likewise, we can't use any of the Multi-rename Tools syntax, except for the "Range".
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

BTW, I forgot that HTMLView is open-source!
If somebody needs it, I added x64 to its configuration and recompiled. Got quite a number of warnings, but the result seems to work fine. Here is the repacked package:
http://flint-inc.ru/Temp/tcbeta80/wlx_htmlview_1.2.5_x32_x64.rar

If the author don't show up, I will upload the update to totalcmd.net.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Should HTMLView be needed any longer? Lazarus has HTML parsing built-in - unless TC has disabled it, or compiled without it. Certainly would be a way to keep the HTML parser current/updated without relying on a third-party though.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
romulous

Post by *romulous »

@Flint: Thanks!

Now if Christian would add a proper API for changing directories so the author of XCD (http://mitglied.multimania.de/matbal/) could get the utility working fully with x64, my life would be complete (simulating clicks on the TC command line - which is how it works apparently - just isn't reliable enough).

@Balderstrom: All I know is that TC x64 will not display MHT files without a plugin. Hopefully when I get a chance to test Flint's compile, I will again be able to! Not being able to view MHT files is a deal killer for me, and I couldn't use a version of TC that doesn't allow me to.

OT
On the whole 64bit subject, I was really looking forward to using the 64bit version of TC, so I could properly access the Windows folders (system32 etc) on my Win7 system. However, I've now gone back to 32bit and have stopped using the 64bit version. The lack of 64bit being able to use 32bit plugins has made me realise that TC is only a very average file manager when you remove the plugins. Sure, a couple have been updated (DirSizeCalc for example), but most of the ones I use haven't been (the two most important for me are HTMLView and XCD). Hopefully when TC v8 goes final, we might get the 64bit to 32bit wrapper for it so we can continue to use the plugins that won't be updated.
/OT

Edit: Fixed - I meant DirSizeCalc, not DiskDir!
Last edited by romulous on 2011-10-11, 12:12 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
damjang

Post by *damjang »

From my set of used plugins the following are not converted yet:

File System Plugins:
VirtualDisk
FSE

Lister Plugins:
ICLView
SynWrite
listdoc
anytag
wlxFont
wlx_csv
Office2007

Packer Plugins:
ISO
MhtUnPack
Total7zip
IShield
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Balderstrom,
thanks for pointing to the existing 64-bit plugins of Double Commander.
Will check them out on the available 64-bit Windows systems as soon as I find the time and report back.

Hello, Flint,
thanks for taking the time to compile and link the htlmview plugin.
Will check it out on the available 64-bit Windows systems as soon as I find the time and report back.

Hello, romulous,
where have you spotted a 64-bit version of Christian's Diskdir plugin? Can't find any hint on the T.C. homepage or the WIKI article. Is finding it a hide'n'seek game?

Cheers,
Karl
romulous

Post by *romulous »

karlchen wrote:Hello, Balderstrom,
Hello, romulous,
where have you spotted a 64-bit version of Christian's Diskdir plugin? Can't find any hint on the T.C. homepage or the WIKI article. Is finding it a hide'n'seek game?
D'oh! My mistake - I meant DirSizeCalc. Thanks for picking that error up, I'll edit my above post. I got confused because of the similarities in the names :oops:

romulous