TC Changes Viewer 2.50 Final

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

TC Changes Viewer 2.50 Final

Post by *ts4242 »

I made this program mainly for my personal use, but later i polished it to make it useable for publics. I hope you like it.

Download

VirusTotal scan result (0 / 69)
Last edited by ts4242 on 2019-03-25, 01:41 UTC, edited 9 times in total.
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

I am surprised that the search function is not implemented at all. I don't see any sense in such utility without search. As to me, I've created button

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
%COMMANDER_PATH%\Totalcmd.exe /O /S=L %COMMANDER_PATH%\history.txt

e:\Windows\system32\wscui.cpl,4
View History

and I often use the internal Lister's search command.
I hope this will be implemented in the next release.
Last edited by Vochomurka on 2011-10-20, 11:06 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

a) as said search is missing

b) it doesnt work with the complet history file
(ie http://home.arcor.de/gelber.elefant/history.txt)
it only starts at v4.0 instead of 1.0d
Hoecker sie sind raus!
patxiku

Post by *patxiku »

2Sir_SiLvA
b) it doesnt work with the complet history file
Yo can make some changes to the complete history file. Please try with this one: Changed Full History.txt
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

2patxiku
Ofc i could go and change the file so it works
but wouldnt it be better if another of ts4242
awsome tools would support the histories as they are?
(yes old history files looked that way)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2Vochomurka
As i said this tool was created for my personal use and i don't need search because i use it only when there is a new TC release, it is help me to easily know what's added and fixed just by one glance.

Anyway, adding search function is not difficult.

2Sir_SiLvA
I'm searching for Release Total Commander or Release Windows Commander to create the versions list and search for Added: or Fixed: to give the line the suitable icon. The problem is that, the old history file doesn't use that format.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

I forgot to say that, if the line too long, double click on it and another window will popup to show it wrapped also you can choose different font for that window.
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

2ts4242
I see. But TC releases are rather seldom, some two times per year. In such cases I open history.txt, F7, "Added", enter - and I can learn what is new in this release. But sometimes I must find in this file when some function appeared, when some bug was fixed, etc. It's my 95% of time that I am reading this file.
Please add extended search capabilities like contexts of all lines containing the searched text (as it is done in Adobe Reader). I lack this in Lister, especially while reading history.txt.
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Vochomurka wrote:But TC releases are rather seldom
Nowadays it is releasing weekly :wink:

I'll add search function 4 u :lol:
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

Yeah, but just because these are beta versions. :P

Anyway i like this utility, however a search function would be really nice, as others said before. Other than that, i have a few ideas for future development, which could maybe make the tool more interesting / useful:
  • Statistics: in the bottom of the utility it could show a panel, where the user could check that which version(s) had the most / least fixes or new functions at all (for example a piechart), or for example which was the year when the most version came out, etc.
  • Ability to filter the changelog for the 32 or 64 bit version [autofilter the text by (64) or (32/64) or (32 only) or (32)]
  • Ability to simply copy a whole line to the clipboard when pressing Ctrl + C hotkey on a selected line, or by right clicking on it, and pressing Copy to clipboard on a popup
  • Maybe multi-language support? I'd gladly translate it to Hungarian language (i know, there aren't so many string in the software, but generally i like to use tools with my own language, if theres a way :D)
  • Bug: the utility doesn't shows the correct release date - for example, if i click on Total Commander 8.0 Public Beta 6 (32/64), in the bottom it shows 2021. october 11., if i pick the public beta 3, the date is: 1930. september 11., and so on... (OS: Win7SP1, Hungarian language)
  • Bug: the utility totally freezes on start if "HISTORY.TXT" file doesn't exists in Total Commander's directory
  • Bug: the utility doesn't really cares if history.txt is a text file or not - if i place there and exe file with that name, it "loads" it to the changes list =P
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Bluestar wrote:Statistics: in the bottom of the utility it could show a panel, where the user could check that which version(s) had the most / least fixes or new functions at all (for example a piechart), or for example which was the year when the most version came out, etc.
Sorry, this is out of the purpose the tool was created for, 0.0000000001% of users will use such feature, maybe in the future i get enough interesting to do that.
Bluestar wrote:Ability to filter the changelog for the 32 or 64 bit version
This was in my mind, but i need to ask Ghisler to use static way as it different in some places, e.g.

Code: Select all

01.06.11 Fixed: When a crash occurs during a file operation and the user chooses to continue anyway, he cannot close the progress dialog -> remove it (32, 64)

Bluestar wrote:Ability to simply copy a whole line to the clipboard when pressing Ctrl + C hotkey on a selected line, or by right clicking on it, and pressing Copy to clipboard on a popup
Easy to add, currently you can double click on a line and copy it from the wrapped window.
Bluestar wrote:Maybe multi-language support? I'd gladly translate it to Hungarian language
Sorry, this is not planned now, i think who read the "history.txt" must have enough English knowledge to work with the program without localization.

Bluestar wrote:Bug: the utility doesn't shows the correct release date - for example, if i click on Total Commander 8.0 Public Beta 6 (32/64), in the bottom it shows 2021. october 11., if i pick the public beta 3, the date is: 1930. september 11., and so on... (OS: Win7SP1, Hungarian language)
Bug: the utility totally freezes on start if "HISTORY.TXT" file doesn't exists in Total Commander's directory
I'll check.
Bluestar wrote:Bug: the utility doesn't really cares if history.txt is a text file or not - if i place there and exe file with that name, it "loads" it to the changes list =P
This is not a bug but it is just misusing :wink:
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It would be nice if "TC Changes Viewer.exe" accepted a file name to open on the command line. Since it can already open other files from within the program it should be easy to implement.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

ts4242 wrote:This is not a bug but it is just misusing :wink:
You are right, we could also say "it's not a bug, it's a feature!" :D (joke)

Thank you for looking into the cause of the date problem.
petermad wrote:It would be nice if "TC Changes Viewer.exe" accepted a file name to open on the command line. Since it can already open other files from within the program it should be easy to implement.
+1
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

TC Changes Viewer 2.00 Beta 1

What's new in version 2.00 Beta 1
Added: Search function.
Added: New hotkeys Ctrl+C and Ctrl+Ins to copy the the selected line to the clipboard.
Added: Accept opening file via command line.
Added: New color option for additions.
Added: New color option for fixes.
Added: New option to show/hide icons.
Added: Change the program icon.
Fixed: Long date in status bar was wrong for some locales.
Fixed: The program hangs on start if "History.txt" file not exists in Total Commander folder.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

Nice, thanks for the fixes & additions (especially for the hotkeys and the search). :D

However theres still problem with some dates here...

For example:

21.10.11 Release Total Commander 8.0 public beta 6 (32/64)
-> 2011. october 21. - correct

14.10.11 Release Total Commander 8.0 public beta 5 (32/64)
-> 2011. october 14. - correct

07.10.11 Release Total Commander 8.0 public beta 4 (32/64)
-> 2011. july 10. - incorrect

08.12.10 Release Total Commander 7.56a beta 1
-> 2011. august 12. - incorrect

04.09.09 Release Total Commander 7.50 Final pre 1
-> 2011. april 09. - incorrect

10.11.10 Release Total Commander 7.56 beta 1
-> 2011. october 11. - incorrect

... and so on.

For most of the dates the problem could be the leading zero, but the last case is a bit mysterious...
» Developer of Total Updater & extDir utility.