AskParam: Asks for command-line parameters via GUI dialog

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Thanks. Back button is just nice to have. But renaming OK to Next is simple and very helpful for users.
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Please try this version.
It allows setting text for buttons using parameters /c(1)"OK" and /c(2)"Cancel".
Also it supports non-editable combobox. However you must switch combobox type before you add items to it using /rl or /rd parameters (combobox type can't be changed at runtime so I use two comboboxes now, one is always hidden, and commands switch between them).
Finally, cut hints mode added where parameter prefixes until first colon aren't passed to program (so they may be used as hints for combobox items).

E.g.:

Code: Select all

AskParam /c(1)"Next" /p"Editable value:" /rl /t"No: 0" /t"Fatals: 1" /t"Errors: 2" /p(h)"Log level:" /c(1)"Finish" /rd /t20 /t40 /t60 /t80 /t100 /p"Compression level:" cmd /k "echo {%1} {%2} {%3}"
I don't want to add back button because it will require to change too much (and I don't see real benefit in it).

If you have some ideas (e.g. how to make parameters more friendly) it is best time for them. :)
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Thanks for the fast update I will check tomorrow in office.

One more idea of course: What about of supporting the taskbar progress state (in Win7 and newer)? Thus the user will notice the progress of parameter inputs in the taskbar. Certainly, it is nly useful if there is more than one parameter to configure. Usually we have about 6 parameters in our case. And by the way, it is pretty simple to implement.
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Sorry, I don't know (and don't want to know) how Win7 taskbar progress is implemented because I never use Win7 aero taskbar (I use custom classic theme with old good normal taskbar with small icons and labels so this progress is invisible for me).

You can change button text accordingly to step number if you wish to show how many steps left: /c(1)"Next (1/6)", /c(1)"Next (2/6)" etc. I think it is even better because it is in dialog and not elsewhere. Also you can display step nimber in dialog title.
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

There is one tiny issue with AskParam_96.cab.

If there are mixed hint/no hint choices for a parameter the value is not passed to the programm to be called. E.g.

/c"Maximum number of output points" /t"Every step: 0" /u"Default: 500" /p(h)"Output points:"
and

/c"Maximum number of output points" /t"0" /u"500" /p"Output points:"
are both working, but

/c"Maximum number of output points" /t"Every step: 0" /u"500" /p(h)"Output points:"
fails.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You're right, I'll leave parameret as is if it doesn't contain hint.
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Thanks! Please keep also in mind that user might type param value with or without hint.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think values with hints should mostly be used in read-only lists. Because if user enters parameter with a colon, part of parameter before first colon will be cut in hint mode.

Beta 98.

Maybe we should use some other character? Or put hint into brackets?
[No] 0
[Fatals] 1
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Thanks dor the update. I actually like the colon as hint separator - also in display.
Also I did not know that combobox style cannot be dynamically changed at runtime.
kesdoputr

Post by *kesdoputr »

Oh that's great update~~

I'm using askparam with imgburn to burn file or iso.
Now i can just list the speed choice and not editable that may cause type error.

Will new version upload to totalcmd.net?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

tbeu wrote:Also I did not know that combobox style cannot be dynamically changed at runtime.
I think they don't allow changing style because it requires to create/destroy child windows (edit field e.g.) or resizing (in case of simple combobox where drop-down list is always opened as listbox).
kesdoputr wrote:Will new version upload to totalcmd.net?
It will be uploaded to totalcmd.net of course after some testing and finishing.
kesdoputr

Post by *kesdoputr »

Beta 98 has been deleted?

or there is new version?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Sorry, I forgot about it. File hosting deleted file because time has been elapsed.

Anyway, I released build 98 w/o changes.

AskParam 1.0.4.98:
+ cut hints mode for combobox may be enabled using suboption (h) for parameter /p
+ parameters /rd, /rl to switch between editable and non-editable comboboxes (contents is not transferred)
+ allows changing buttons' text with suboptions (1) and (2) to parameter /c
* dialog width increased a bit
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

MVV wrote:Sorry, I forgot about it. File hosting deleted file because time has been elapsed.

Anyway, I released build 98 w/o changes.

AskParam 1.0.4.98:
+ cut hints mode for combobox may be enabled using suboption (h) for parameter /p
+ parameters /rd, /rl to switch between editable and non-editable comboboxes (contents is not transferred)
+ allows changing buttons' text with suboptions (1) and (2) to parameter /c
* dialog width increased a bit
File numbering seems to be 1.0.3.98 instead of 1.0.4.98 as stated in the description from totalcmd.net and wincmd.ru http://wincmd.ru/files/AskParam_1.0.3.98.zip
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Thanks, but version is really 1.0.4.98, there was a error in filename, fixed.