[WFX] Android ADB 8.8

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

imeszaros

Post by *imeszaros »

Hi there all,

I have a not rooted nexus 4 device with stock android 4.4.2 rom.

I installed the ADB plugin, latest version, enabled USB debugging. My device shows up, but with a strange name like "016e9c86d891b9eb", and if i enter the device, no files or folders are listed.

What could be the problem?

edit: the log shows:

Code: Select all

2013-12-14 17:01:01 [0F20] Connecting to ADB server...
2013-12-14 17:01:01 [0F20] Connected
2013-12-14 17:01:01 [0F20] ADB Write: host:transport:016e9c86d891b9eb
2013-12-14 17:01:01 [0F20] ADB Read: device offline
buttie

Post by *buttie »

imeszaros wrote:My device shows up, but with a strange name like "016e9c86d891b9eb"
That's perfectly normal, this string is ID number of your device.
and if i enter the device, no files or folders are listed.
Most probably you didn't white-listed your PC on your phone. More here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/12/new-android-4-2-2-feature-usb-debug-whitelist-prevents-adb-savvy-thieves-from-stealing-your-data-in-some-situations/
imeszaros

Post by *imeszaros »

buttie wrote:Most probably you didn't white-listed your PC on your phone.
That was the issue. Thanks for your reply!
aximili

Can't see my SGS 4

Post by *aximili »

I just installed this plugin.
I connected my SGS 4 (GT-I9500 Android 4.2.2) by USB, but I can't see my phone under ADB (only Connect to Device and Options), nor any prompt on my phone.

I can see the phone in My Computer (that's how I transfer files).
I've got USB debugging enabled, I've tried connecting both as Media (MTP) and Camera (PTP).

Could someone help me please?
aximili

Post by *aximili »

I could connect now after reinstalling the USB driver
kapela86

Post by *kapela86 »

Bug report:
filenames with Japanese characters are displayed as ?
e.g. 日本仔好攪嘢.mp4 id displayed as ??????.mp4
Polish & Czech signs are ok, e.g. "Šílený Ota" or "Łona - ĄĘ"
CITYGUY

Post by *CITYGUY »

I use this amazing plugin all the time since it was available here!

Thank you very much for it!

I have question:

When I am in booted in Android System, I copy files from my PC to the sdcard (data/media/0). All of them are copied.
BUT many of them are not usable on the device. I mean if they are a video files for instance (but this happens to other types too):
1. the file exists on the SD card and is listed and visible in the file explorer
2. but it can not be copied (gives an error)
3. it can not be opened/viewed (gives an error)
4. I can copy it back to the PC in another (new) location on the PC and there I can view/open it and the file is intact

If I do the same and copy the same files from my PC to the sdcard (data/media/0) BUT this time from Recovery then everything is OK.

Why?

I checked the files permissions and owner. In both cases they are exactly the same, but when this operation is done from Android system. these files are simply unusable!

My phone HTC One
Android 4.4 KitKat
jmwap

Post by *jmwap »

hi,

I wanted to check this out, installed it but...not sure how to use it? I did not find any doc on what one needs to do to see the device etc

thanks
CITYGUY

Post by *CITYGUY »

CITYGUY wrote:I use this amazing plugin all the time since it was available here!

I have question:

When I am in booted in Android System, I copy files from my PC to the sdcard (data/media/0). All of them are copied.
BUT many of them are not usable on the device. I mean if they are a video files for instance (but this happens to other types too):
1. the file exists on the SD card and is listed and visible in the file explorer
4. I can copy it back to the PC in another (new) location on the PC and there I can view/open it and the file is intact

If I do the same and copy the same files from my PC to the sdcard (data/media/0) BUT this time from Recovery then everything is OK.

Why?

I checked the files permissions and owner. In both cases they are exactly the same, but when this operation is done from Android system. these files are simply unusable!

My phone HTC One
Android 4.4 KitKat
I tried with adb push and it is OK in this case.
I think that the permissions are not set correctly when I use the plugin while in System.
I tried both with checked and unchecked the setting : "preserve mode and owner of updated file" if that makes sense.
But why when I use the plugin while in recovery it works OK?
Please, help me get this thing working!
Thanks once more for this awesome tool!
cmlx

Post by *cmlx »

The latest version 7.4 has UNICODE bug, all Chinese/Japanese characters show ??? rather than correct ones, I remember version 7.3 has no problem about showing these characters.

Also, the zip file has no readme.txt in 7.4 version, I can only get changelog from: http://www.myklos.org/app/adb/doc/notes.txt
hornerg

Post by *hornerg »

aximili wrote:I could connect now after reinstalling the USB driver
I have a similar problem. Which USB driver did you reinstall? Windows or Android?
CITYGUY

Post by *CITYGUY »

CITYGUY wrote:
CITYGUY wrote:I use this amazing plugin all the time since it was available here!

I have question:

Why?

My phone HTC One
Android 4.4 KitKat
I tried with adb push and it is OK in this case.
I think that the permissions are not set correctly when I use the plugin while in System.
I tried both with checked and unchecked the setting : "preserve mode and owner of updated file" if that makes sense.
But why when I use the plugin while in recovery it works OK?
Please, help me get this thing working!
Thanks once more for this awesome tool!
I determined that if I use the plugin to copy files
to /sdcard
is different than if i copy them to
/data/media/0

when I am copying using /data/media/0 path later some of the files are not usable on my phone, but if I use /sdcard path, then the copied files are ok.

Still when I am in recovery and I copy files to /data/media/0 everything is OK with them...

I would like to know why and how is this happening differently when I use the plugin in Android system and in recovery.

Thanks again for this most comprehensive and fantastic plugin!
hornerg

Basic installation

Post by *hornerg »

jakubklos wrote:
domesorr wrote: There is someone who can guide me in this endeavor?
thanks.
Domesorr
It depends how far you got.

1. Enable USB debugging on your S3
2. Download drivers from Samsung site for your S3
3. Make sure that Windows recognizes your device not only as a media (MTP) but also Android Debug Device or something similar

Now if you go to ADB plugin it should list your device.

Another way would be to use the WiFi ADB (TCP connection method). This does not require a USB cable and drivers but you must have your phone rooted. All you need to do is to start WiFi ADB (download from the market) and Connect to the IP with the Connect to device action.

Hope it helps
Can I suggest this basic installation advice is put on page 1 of this thread, and/or distributed with the plugin? It would save a lot of time for those of us who just want to transfer files without going into full geek mode. The plug-in looks just what I need - if only I could find USB drivers for my Nvidia Tegra Note.
tcboy

Post by *tcboy »

Awesome Plugin!
It works super duper great!
Keep up the good work!
Thumbs up!
Use it every day.
However, I would like to improve one thing. You can drag and drop from total commander's tabs itself to copy files to the device, but you can not drag and drop from windows explorer into total commander to copy files to the device.
I can not drag files from my desktop into total commander.
If you could fix that, 1000 thumps up! Thaaaaanks!

See image for error message:

s4#postimg#org/x8e6pl0zx/error.png

Please replace # with .
Can not post URLs yet.
inforte43

Post by *inforte43 »

Hi,

Simple question: It's possible to launch PuTTY (or another program) when you select ".shell"?

I prefer to use more powerful client than the Windows's Command Console. For example, it don't support TAB completion, closes when CTRL+C, etc.

I use regulary this plugin for all access to my phone, but Win Command is limited!

Thank you!