pop3/smtp e-mail plug-in - how to send to an e-mail account?

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DRP535

pop3/smtp e-mail plug-in - how to send to an e-mail account?

Post by *DRP535 »

Can someone please help with instructions on what settings are required to be able to send a *.eml file to an e-mail address copy/move etc. using this plug-in? I can't get it to work and don't know why.

Thanks,

DRP
André Martin

Post by *André Martin »

First you need to define/specify a smtp server. You can either define one for each mailbox or define one default smtp server (settings dialog) which will be used for mailboxes where none was defined.
Use the sample eml file and edit it with notepad or your favorite text editor (you can also use an email client like Outlook express which is capable of editing eml files). Change the recipient field and from field. When your are done just copy the file to one of your mailboxes and the eml will be uploaded to the smtp server.
I hope this short description helped you. If not please post/email the error you get.
Browse the web with the HTTP SmartBrowserPlugin
Check your mails with the POP3/SMTP EmailPlugin!
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

Do you intend to add your own .eml writer?
Fabio Chelly.
Lorsqu'on s'occupe d'informatique il faut faire comme les canards...
Paraître calme en surface et pédaler comme un forcené par en dessous
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

André Martin wrote:First you need to define/specify a smtp server. You can either define one for each mailbox or define one default smtp server (settings dialog) which will be used for mailboxes where none was defined.
Use the sample eml file and edit it with notepad or your favorite text editor (you can also use an email client like Outlook express which is capable of editing eml files). Change the recipient field and from field. When your are done just copy the file to one of your mailboxes and the eml will be uploaded to the smtp server.
I hope this short description helped you. If not please post/email the error you get.

Thank you for the answer. This cleared it up for me and I've got it working now.

Cheers.
André Martin

Post by *André Martin »

fabiochelly wrote:Do you intend to add your own .eml writer?
Outlook Express is an quite good "eml-writer" and is included in all Windows versions - so I do not plan to write an eml-writer (why inventing the wheel again)...
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

André Martin wrote:why inventing the wheel again
Probably your wheel will be smaller and faster and TC-integrated, so we could delete Outlook or whatever we currently use... :)
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Valentino wrote:
André Martin wrote:why inventing the wheel again
Probably your wheel will be smaller and faster and TC-integrated, so we could delete Outlook or whatever we currently use... :)

Don't get rid of OE otherwise you won't be able to save web page single file archive (*.mht) files anymore. It's the only thing you need OE for :-)

DRP
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

André Martin wrote:
fabiochelly wrote:Do you intend to add your own .eml writer?
Outlook Express is an quite good "eml-writer" and is included in all Windows versions - so I do not plan to write an eml-writer (why inventing the wheel again)...

André,

How hard would it be to have the plug-in work with *.msg files instead of (or in addition to) the *.eml files? I use Outlook proper instead of OE and that program can't handle the *.eml files.

I thought it would, so I changed the association of EML on my computer to point at Outlook instead of OE but it didn't work.
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

why inventing the wheel again
I would like to compeletely replace OE by your product. And actually, it's very complicated to send an e-mail from your plugin via Outlook.
It would be great to compose the messages in a Memo you create then send it automaticaly from your plugin.

You can start with plain text messages creation only, then add attachments capabilities, and after that HTML...

I don't know in which language you're programming but with Borland products (Delphi or C++ Builder), you have Indy components which does all the work for you
Fabio Chelly.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

DRP535 wrote:Don't get rid of OE otherwise you won't be able to save web page single file archive (*.mht) files anymore.
Never used this. For what it's needed? Just more convenient to store one single file instead of PAGE.HTML and PAGE_files folder? Or some other advantage/usage?
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Valentino wrote:
DRP535 wrote:Don't get rid of OE otherwise you won't be able to save web page single file archive (*.mht) files anymore.
Never used this. For what it's needed? Just more convenient to store one single file instead of PAGE.HTML and PAGE_files folder? Or some other advantage/usage?

You got it - that's the only advantage. But you gotta admit that one single file is much neater and cleaner than a whole directory structure with multiple small files in each directory. If it wasn't then things like RAR, ACE & ZIP wouldn't be so popular.

DRP
André Martin

Post by *André Martin »

DRP535 wrote:How hard would it be to have the plug-in work with *.msg files instead of (or in addition to) the *.eml files? I use Outlook proper instead of OE and that program can't handle the *.eml files.
I thought it would, so I changed the association of EML on my computer to point at Outlook instead of OE but it didn't work.
The msg file format is completely different to eml. Unfortunatily I do not knows how the contents of msg files is encoded that's why my plugin supports only eml file format :-( If anyone know the structure of the msg format then mail me: support@acd-group.com
fabiochelly (& all others) wrote:I would like to compeletely replace OE by your product. And actually, it's very complicated to send an e-mail from your plugin via Outlook.
It would be great to compose the messages in a Memo you create then send it automaticaly from your plugin.
You can start with plain text messages creation only, then add attachments capabilities, and after that HTML...
I don't know in which language you're programming but with Borland products (Delphi or C++ Builder), you have Indy components which does all the work for you
...this means to write a mail client but this becomes very complicated when it should be capable of HTML and WYSIWYG (in this case it means to write a browser). Btw. I guess OE is not the only mailclient in the world which supports opening, saving and editing of eml files?!?
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

this means to write a mail client but this becomes very complicated when it should be capable of HTML
HTML is not very important in composing I think. It would be still very useful to have the ability to compose plain/text mail. And if you can add attachment support, it would be perfect.
Fabio Chelly.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

fabiochelly said it all...

i raise my thumb for that, too :D
André Martin

Post by *André Martin »

OK - I will think about a solution for this "problem"...