Total Updater 0.8.6.9 - Total Commander & plugin updater

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

in case it contains absolute path to a file, without env.vars (whoa, I need to expand envvars a lot more places...).
I only use filename for redirection, without any path - would it be possible to support that, assuming that the path to the file is %COMMANDER_INI%\.. as TC does itself.

Total Updater already knows the path to wincmd.ini so it should be easy to implement.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@petermad: Done in Beta 3, will be released tomorrow.

Could you please somehow make the "UpdateList_grp_wcx_s", "UpdateList_grp_wfx_s" and ""UpdateList_grp_wdx_s" lines a bit shorter in the Danish translation?
The thing is that standard ListView's group subtitle allows maximum 1 line of text, hence it looks weird with longer strings (systems below Vista doesn't even supports this subtitle feature at all)...
» Developer of Total Updater & extDir utility.
andres992

Post by *andres992 »

Thank you! The new tool seems promising and very useful! Using XPSP3 and (still) TC 7.56a. But I cannot quite understand the following:

For the very first test, I launched the program and noticed that according to Total Updater, fhRAR plugin seems to have version 1.0.0.0 out (while I only have 0.2.3.0 installed). I left only fhRar checked and then clicked "Update checked items" -- at which I got the dialog "Download files...", where I am asked to select a directory for downloaded files -- but I cannot check any directory at all. Whatever I write into the address box, the OK button remains greyed out. I think I have misunderstood something.

When I right-click fhRAR in the list, the "Download File" command is greyed out too.

For the second test, I decided to update "inHrust", which also seems to have a newer version. When I right-clicked "inHrust" (while it was not checked) and chose "Download File", I first got the "Retrieving..." dialog and thereafter the message "Cannot create file "d:\Downloads\wcx_inHrust_1.zip. The device is not ready." This must be because I could not preconfigure the download path (because OK button did not work) and the path is still "d:\Downloads\" as it came with the plugin itself.

In the database, there also seems to be some kind of confusion with the "iso" plugin. My installed version is "1.7.7.0" but TotalUpdater offers me version "ver" (Update available!) Probably some mismatch in how the version notice has changed within the plugin?

Where does TotalUpdater keep its own configuration settings?

And also, where does the database get its version numbers from? Cannot find fhRAR 1.0.0.0 anywhere on the web.

Also, a few suggestions:

(1) Add a quick filter to display (in the Update tab) only those addons for which updates are available. And in connection with that filter, a checkbox for "Select all" and "Unselect all" would make good sense.

(2) Add a user option to preconfigure the download path.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Could you please somehow make the "UpdateList_grp_wcx_s", "UpdateList_grp_wfx_s" and ""UpdateList_grp_wdx_s" lines a bit shorter in the Danish translation?
Argh - I already did make them shorter after doing my second test under Windows 7 where I noticed the problem, but I forgot to replace the work file on my XP machine (I prefer XP for 7) before I uploaded the file. Get new version at http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/TotalUpdater0_7b2Danish.zip
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@andres992: Thank you for your kind words & for testing the utility.

I just downloaded & installed "fhRAR 0.2.3" and "inHrust 1" plugins - actually none of them can be found in the internal plugin database of the app (though this doesn't unambiguously means TU can't find updates for them - it may work, in case their filename (without extension) is the same as their ID on totalcmd.net).

However the first one's online ID is "rarfh" (unlike the filename which is "fhrar"), and the second one's is "inhrust" (matches the filename), though the last one doesn't have a version info embedded into the "inHrust.wcx" file, nor contains a "readme.txt" or any other file, which would indicate its actual local version - so unfortunately its totally impossible to query & compare online versions with the local in case of the last one.

Could you please send me / paste here a screenshot about the detected wcx plugins & their online versions in TU, on which "fhRAR" can be seen? I have a thought that something is messed up with your TU's list, and there may be some improperly handled exceptions which causes the array to drop some elements, and still show them in TU's plugin list. <- in case you turn "Try to use intelligent version-detection (for plugins without verinfo)" off, and check (enable) the "Autohide plugins..." option, inHrust shouldn't be in the list.

May I ask do you have many plugins installed, and is the detected version numbers seems ok for most of them (especially before / after these fhRar & inHrust items in the list)? You can enable the Infobox by right clicking in the list and checking "Show Infobox" option, every file's readed version can be checked there.

About the downloading: currently the app checks whether if c:\Downloads or c:\Download (then the same for drive d: ) exists, and tries to use it to download the plugins into the folder. Currently the only way to modify the DL path is to manually open TU's configuration file (it can be found in the application's directory, under "TotalUpdater.ini" name), and modify [Configuration] section's "DownloadDir" var to any desired path.

In case you're trying to download a valid plugin (which also exists in the database, to be sure) [e.g. CopyTree], the download should end with progress "100%", and then you can modify the Path above, and press OK - it is going to be saved this way (if the given path exists).

@petermad: Great job, thank you for the fast modifications!
Gerby

German translation & language notes

Post by *Gerby »

Hi Bluestar!

As already announced, you are (finally) receiving the German translation file via mail. I've included the changes according to the 2013-02-09 language release.

Two remarks about strings:
  • German sentences or phrases are usually a bit longer than English ones. This makes it sometimes hard to fit some of the strings into the UI (something petermad obviously also experienced with Danish). However, I've taken the liberty of abridging this or that string, of course without changing the meaning.
  • Language entry "BtnUpdateChecked= Update the checked items":
    The function actually doesn't really update a checked item, but downloads the corresponding file. Would a change to "Download the checked items" be conceivable?
Thanks (again) for the tool.

Gerby
jvh

Post by *jvh »

Hi Bluestar,

thank you for the nice tool.
I sent you Czech translation per mail - language release dated 2013-02-09.

Some strings cannot be translated (hints in "Internal Plugin Database" window):
PN - ProductName
IN - InternalName
OFN - OriginalFileName
(WEB - WEBID)
Olfert

Dual monitor setup

Post by *Olfert »

Love this new tool - I've got quite a lot of plugins installed so it comes in rather convenient.
But there's a little problem with it when using a dual monitor setup with expanded desktop setting; it opens up right in the middle of the two making it necessary to move the window into one of the monitor desktops.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

What about developing this update manger to a fully fledged plugin Store (including updates of course)?
Show new plugins, plugin categories, search for plugins and so on. What do you think?
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@Gerby: Thanks, I got your mail with the attached language file, nice work.
  • I know what you're talking about, since I was also in a huge trouble myself with creating the Hungarian translation for the software - needless to say, most of the expressions would have needed at least two lines... I even contacted one of my lng-expert friend for some help, as it seemed to be the only way to solve the problem (even though its my native language)... :)
    Currently I can't do much about that - replacing the standard ListView with an advanced component / writing one from scratch (which may be able to display two - or more - subtitle lines) could mean a solution, but it would also have disadvantages / could introduce other OS-specific bugs as well...
  • I know that "Update the checked items" caption doesn't properly express what the funtion does at the moment, but I thought it's just OK for the BETA, since the final version will do the actual update of the downloaded plugins / tools too. I can add a new temporary language string like "Download the checked items", but that string then needs to be retranslated by everyone, and will be 'dropped' as soon as TU's update function will be implemented too - thats the reason it just can't be found in the lng file.
@jvh: A huge thanks to you for the Czech translation, it is going to be available in Beta 3.
I have a little request to you: Could you please shorten the "NrOfCheckedItems" string a bit, so it could fit in the window?
Also please check the language strings we're talking above ("UpdateList_grp_wfx_s", "UpdateList_grp_wlx_s", "UpdateList_grp_wdx_s"): it would be nice, if you could shorten them to a single-line string, to fit properly. Its not a problem if you need to rephrase it totally, the main thing for those strings is just to be short, and to roughly keep its original meaning.

Btw I'm not quite sure if these additional lines should be translated or not, as they refer to internal VERSIONINFO resource embedded in executable files. One shouldn't even edit them in the Internal Plugin Database, only if he/she knows what they refer to.

Note: I changed your translation's LngShortID to "CSY", as I need to use Microsoft's internal abbreviation codes (msdn).

@Olfert: Great to see you are pleased with the utility. I'll check that multimonitor issue, and will try to fix it for the next version.

@Lefteous: Wow, thats a great idea, i totally support it - however it would need a lot of additional work & research, and of course a huge database with all the existing plugins and their complete description, category (not just wcx/wlx/wfx etc, but the actual categories like: Picture metadata plugins, Encryption plugins, etc - we would need to find a logic to sort & organize them all), developer's name, etc... its not impossible, but I can't imagine this in the near future, maybe for a much later (and stable...) version.

By the way it's really great to see so many active translators only one day after the initial post about TU, thanks for all of your contributions. Hope to see more languages coming soon. :D
Last edited by Bluestar on 2013-02-09, 23:28 UTC, edited 4 times in total.
andres992

Post by *andres992 »

Bluestar wrote:@andres992: Could you please send me / paste here a screenshot about the detected wcx plugins & their online versions in TU, on which "fhRAR" can be seen?
When I now relaunched TotalUpdater, fhrar and inhrust seem to be fixed.

Bluestar wrote:May I ask do you have many plugins installed, and is the detected version numbers seems ok for most of them
Quite many indeed. When I now looked at them in Total Updater, most of the updates available seemed to have logical numbers. I would be glad to provide screenshots via private email.
Bluestar wrote:About the downloading: currently the app checks whether if c:\Downloads or c:\Download (then the same for drive d: ) exists, and tries to use it to download the plugins into the folder. Currently the only way to modify the DL path is to manually open TU's configuration file (it can be found in the application's directory, under "TotalUpdater.ini" name), and modify [Configuration] section's "DownloadDir" var to any desired path.
Thanks, I found the ini file and modified the path to an existing one. However, it still seems that I cannot download any files as although the path is an existing one and correct, I am still getting error messages every time I try to download anything. ("Cannot create file "x". The system cannot find the path specified.") Again, would be glad to send screenshots via private mail.

[EDIT: Got this fixed. For some reason, relaunching Total Updater made the path work.]

[EDIT2: However, with FLIC addon, there seems to be some confusion. I have flic.wcx 0.7.3.0 installed -- Total Updater says there is an update and then downloads flic.wlx version 1.0.0.1 (marked as 1.0.0.0 though in Total Updater)]
Last edited by andres992 on 2013-02-09, 23:51 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
#68776 Personal Licence
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I know that "Update the checked items" caption doesn't properly express what the funtion does at the moment, but I thought it's just OK for the BETA, since the final version will do the actual update of the downloaded plugins / tools too. I can add a new temporary language string like "Download the checked items", but that string then needs to be retranslated by everyone, and will be 'dropped' as soon as TU's update function will be implemented too - thats the reason it just can't be found in the lng file.
I hope the update function will be optional, so you can choose to only download the new plugin pack - as it is now. I most often want to check differencies in for example new and old language files before I update a plugin.

How are you planning to overcome the problem of updating plugins that are already loaded into memory by TC?

Updated my translation to the version from 09-02-2013: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/TotalUpdater0_7b2aDanish.zip
Last edited by petermad on 2013-02-10, 11:28 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

By the way you can give the path to (a copy of) wincmd.ini without RedirectSections to the function you asked about, so it can successfully load the list from the alternative wincmd.ini (generally I implemented this feature for cases when the software can't properly detect the correct path of wincmd.ini file for any reason - so it uses the format of wincmd.ini, and loads the plugins from [PackerPlugins] etc sections).
This does NOT work for me. If I do this I get either this http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/totalupdater.png if there are redirected [XPlugins] sections in the main wincmd.ini, or I get a blank list if there are NO [XPlugins] sections in wincmd.ini

To test it, make sure that the original wincmd.ini does NOT have any [XPlugins] sections - otherwise Total Updater wil just use that, regardles that you have chosen: "Load the list of plugins from a manually given file:"

Also the function: "Load all files from the "plugins" directory (not just the installed ones)" does not show up with any plugins if there are no [XPlugins] sections or the sections are redirected - I would expect to find all plugins that way.
License #524 (1994)
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

petermad wrote:I hope the update function will be optional, so you can choose to only download the new plugin pack - as it is now. I most often want to check differencies in for example new and old language files before I update a plugin.
It's going to be optional, user will able to choose what to do with the downloaded files (a checkbox to "Remember the chosen option" would be useful), eg:
1) Do nothing; 2) Update the plugins ; 3) Update only the selected plugins
petermad wrote:How are you planning to overcome the problem of updating plugins that are already loaded into memory by TC?
I plan to send "cm_UnloadPlugins" command to the active TC handle to achieve the release / freeing of all currently used plugins. In case it fails (some file still can't be written) user would then be warned that closing TC is required for the update operation to be started / completed.

Thank you for your test, I just realized "Load the list from a manually given file" has a 'pretty little' bug, which makes it always try to load the sections from wincmd.ini, regardless of the given file. Bug is going to be addressed in Beta 3 - it should work fine then, even with the "Load all files..." option.

Thanks for the updated language file - could you please translate the 3 new strings too? The file which I uploaded to the server afternoon already contains them.
(link in the first post is always updated)

Code: Select all

[CaptionsDialog]
Caption_ChooseFile=	Please, choose the file that contains the list of plugins...
AllFiles=		       All Files

[ErrorMessages]
AbortTask=		      Are you sure you want to abort the current task?

@tbeu: Could you please give a link & mail me your "lister" ( version shows as "3.97)" ) and "dbf_viewer" ( version "5.0," ) packages? I guess these versions are detected from readme/history files, but I need to know the exact structure of these files to improve the detection algorithm for such items.
Last edited by Bluestar on 2013-02-10, 10:48 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

could you please translate the 2 new strings too?
As I wrote 3 posts up - it is already uploaded to http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/TotalUpdater0_7b2Danish.zip
License #524 (1994)