Total Updater 0.8.6.9 - Total Commander & plugin updater

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

EricB

Post by *EricB »

@Bluestar
Bluestar wrote:@EricB:
Do you mean the utility should revise the user-defined OverridePlugVer section after an update? Currently it doesn't do such thing. Maybe I misunderstood your question.
The question is more which one has precedence? If I manually add some plugin information in the Override section, will it always override the database? It will then also override any database update which corrects a prior fault. I'm just curious if this is detected and a decision is made for which entity has the better entry.

Regards, EricB
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@mwz:
Generally TU tries to load the "ssleay32.dll" and "libeay32.dll" files from the folder it is running from. If succeeds, then it is going to use the dlls in the folder for SSL communication over the network - no matter what version it is exactly.

Currently Total Updater is being tested & works fine using the recommended latest Indy packages (openssl-1.0.1e-i386-win32.zip), I can't reproduce such error(s) with these two dll's put in the application's folder on W7SP1x86.

@petermad:
Thank you for the updated translation!

About the ProcFS: actually its not a "wrong message", ProcFS v3.0 does exists (it is now maintained & sponsored by DiskInternals) [download].

I guess the problem should be somewhat the same as mwz's one: you may not have the correct "libeay32.dll" and "ssleay32.dll" files in TU's main folder, thus it cannot reach the https site from where it could download the latest version of the plugin we are talking about. Its WebID is set to "procfs", so TU can query its details (description / what is it good for etc) from totalcmd.net, but since its "DirectLink" is also set the app tries to get the latest package using the given site in this key, and not from the one being in the WebID field (in case you double-click on the failed download in the Download dialog, its diskinternals site pops up in the browser).

@EricB:
Ah, now its clear. Actually in case a key is set inside "OverridePlugVer" section with the path of an existing plugin (using an appropriate checksum as value, which matches the local file's one!), it is going to override everything (the Internal Plugin DB & the UserDB as well) - being considered as the most genuine value.
Maybe the best approach would be if TU would do a quick-check after a successful update & simply comment out any user-made entry in this section which is set with another version than the one in the checksumdb - so it would be rewritten automatically after an update. (probably there should be an option to let the user disable this feature)

Regards,
Bluestar
» Developer of Total Updater & extDir utility.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

About the ProcFS: actually its not a "wrong message", ProcFS v3.0 does exists (it is now maintained & sponsored by DiskInternals) [download].

I guess the problem should be somewhat the same as mwz's one: you may not have the correct "libeay32.dll" and "ssleay32.dll" files in TU's main folder, thus it cannot reach the https site from where it could download the latest version of the plugin we are talking about. Its WebID is set to "procfs", so TU can query its details (description / what is it good for etc) from totalcmd.net, but since its "DirectLink" is also set the app tries to get the latest package using the given site in this key, and not from the one being in the WebID field (in case you double-click on the failed download in the Download dialog, its diskinternals site pops up in the browser).
After "installing" libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll it worked for dowloading. :-)

It is still confusing though that if you use TU's "Visit online site" function - then you are taken to the old site http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/procfs.html.

BTW - after installing ProcFS v3.0 from DiskInternals, TU claims that I have version 5.5 of ProcFS installed ??
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

petermad wrote:BTW - after installing ProcFS v3.0 from DiskInternals, TU claims that I have version 5.5 of ProcFS installed ??
There's no embedded version information section in the PE (wfx) file of ProcFS (not even in the previous version), so TU wasn't able to detect its version properly. This wrong version comes from the readme file of the plugin, which says:
readme.txt wrote:Procfs - plugin for Windows Commander 5.5 and newer.
version 3.0

... so TU grabs the "5.5", assuming the plugin's version number is one of the first things to be appeared in the readme file, however in this particular case it isn't.
New DB update is available which fixes the problem. :) I'll try to improve the intelligent version detection to handle the most of these cases.

Unfortunately can't do much about the site as the new version doesn't have any, and its still better to navigate to a site with some additional informations than telling the user "Sorry - No information available!", isn't it? :P

Edit: I'd gladly add "ProcFS" author's site to the DB, but I didn't have any success finding it... anyone? (the old one that can be found in the readme is not available)
Gerby

Post by *Gerby »

I've installed Total Updater in the "C:\Program Files\" branch. So without elevated rights I don't have write access to the Total Updater program directory. Therefore, right now the installation of the downloaded updates for the TU databases fails or isn't actually started.

Maybe it would be good to also use the alternative location as for the INI files if the TU program directory is not writable.

I haven't checked updates for plugins yet. I would guess that there will be similar problems if the Total Commander directory is in the Program Files branch. Let's see - I'll be back...

Gerby
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@Gerby:
You can manually set a custom temporary directory anytime by modifying "TotalUpdater.ini" a bit (by default it tries to create a folder inside the AppData of the current user) - it should work e.g. this way:

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
TempDirectory=%TEMP%
Edit: Ah, after doing some tests I found out that "database.dat" file should've been placed beside "TotalUpdater.ini", instead of the current approach (put it beside TotalUpdater.exe). Going to be fixed in Beta4, which is about to be released in a couple of hours!

Regards,
Bluestar
Bluestar

Total Updater 0.8 ß4 - Total Commander & plugin updater

Post by *Bluestar »

[face=tahoma]Total Updater v0.8 Beta 4

Another week, another new Total Updater version. This time it fixes some plugin installation-related issues, as well as some other things - some of them reported since the previous betas. From now on TU is also capable of updating Total Commander itself.

Update is strongly recommended - you can use the latest stable version if you encounter any problem!
(read the changelog for more info...)

:arrow: Download | 11-09-2013 | MD5 (exe): 1cc6434a25bee88165b619e5098a257c

Changelog:

* New: Updated Chinese Simplified language support (thanks to FeiXJ)
* New: Updated Danish language (thanks to petermad)
* New: Updated German language (thanks to Gerby)
* New: Updated Lithuanian language (thanks to Dalius Guţauskas (Tichij))
* New: From now on TU is able to update the existing Total Commander installation as well
* New: From now on you can also refresh the local version number of Total Commander (F2)
* New: You can manually set [GUI] ScrollOnUpdCheck=False if you'd like to disable the new feature which automatically scrolls the plugin list on searching for updates
* New: You can manually set [Configuration] ForceUseExtDB=True to always load the external "database.dat" DB file (if it exists)
* New: You can manually set [Total Commander] DevCompareMethod=True to use the old TC compare method (PB > B) [e.g. in case you are a beta tester of TC]
* Change: updated Indy to the latest available (10.6.0.5056) version
* Change: compare the internal & external "database.dat" file (if exists) to always load the latest one
* Change: modified TC version weight comparison: BETA now equals PUBLIC BETA (you cannot have a beta unless its not public) [see "DevCompareMethod" above]
* Change: faster refresh of the plugin list after successful installation(s)
* Change: replaced icon of "Marked items" popup menu entry to make it less ambiguous
* Change: smoother update of the main plugin update progressbar & plugin list after clicking on "Search for updates"
* Change: scroll the plugin list while checking for latest updates (optional, see the "[GUI] ScrollOnUpdCheck" above to turn it off)
* Change: readme.txt has been updated & tidied up a bit (added section "Prerequisites" for downloading over SSL)
* Change: added 6 new items to the Internal Plugin Database & modified some existing
* Change: added 11 new items to the checksum database
* Fixed: install plugin update only when its showed in the plugin list as updatable
* Fixed: incorrect local TC version in case TC is not running / TU could not get the version from caption (if intelligent detection is set)
* Fixed: refresh the local Total Commander version on refreshing the whole Total Updater plugin list (Ctrl + R / F5)
* Fixed: by checking "Disable the automatic detection of all kind of plugins" TU's running instance was also excluded from the list
* Fixed: clicking on "Exclude from list" -> "File" was possible when current instance of TU was selected
* Fixed: the Total Commander accidentally got excluded on excluding TU from the list (which should've be forbidden)
* Fixed: save the "database.dat" file beside "TotalUpdater.ini" & load it from this place instead of the application directory
* Fixed: the "Visit online site..." popup option didn't work properly since Beta 2 in case multiple items were selected
* Fixed: downloading from skydrive is not possible yet, still TU showed these downloads as successful ones
* Fixed: reduced MinHeight a bit, so TU can now fit on smaller screens too (except the Configuration tab, which needs to be reorganized)
* Fixed: irrelevant file "hxd.exe" is now automatically ignored from the 3rd party addon list
* Fixed: jump to the latest selected item in the plugin list after searching for updates
* Fixed: an issue that could cause incorrect Addon Info dialog caption in rare cases
* Fixed: do not allow to send the Internal Plugin Database to download manager(s)
[/face]

Bluestar
Last edited by Bluestar on 2013-09-15, 14:09 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@Gerby:
Is DB updating works fine in the latest version for you?

@krasusczak:
The height should be okay in B4, could you please confirm it?

I found some issues in the latest version (most of them are TC / self-update related), so B5 is going to be out tomorrow - its mainly a bugfix release, update is strongly advised though.
krasusczak

Post by *krasusczak »

Bluestar wrote:@krasusczak:
The height should be okay in B4, could you please confirm it?

Yes, height solution works fine for my resolution, waiting only for configuration tab reorganization to confirm it ;)

Thank U
Bluestar

Total Updater 0.8 ß5 - Total Commander & plugin updater

Post by *Bluestar »

[face=tahoma]Total Updater v0.8 Beta 5

Bugfix release. Updating Total Commander finally works, as well as updating TU itself (admin rights may be needed).

Update is strongly recommended - you can use the latest stable version if you encounter any problem!
(read the changelog for more info...)

:arrow: Download | 13-09-2013 | MD5 (exe): 23db7276dac9e07c59e2fc4310d108e1

Changelog:

* New: Updated Dutch language (thanks to Jaap Kramer)
* New: Updated Swedish language (thanks to Trast)
* Change: added 2 new items to the Internal Plugin Database
* Change: added 2 new items to the checksum database
* Change: automatically run Total Commander after successful update
* Change: reload the plugin list after DB update only after the user has closed the download dialog
* Fixed: self-updating is now ready & working (admin rights may be needed)
* Fixed: updating Total Commander itself is now working (admin rights may be needed)
* Fixed: the "Download the latest version" button (IPD) led to wrong file in some cases
* Fixed: compare error in the Internal Plugin Database (internet version was always newer)
* Fixed: faster scroll of the main plugin list when searching for updates
* Fixed: the main progress bar didn't refresh properly (incorrect item counting)
* Fixed: a possible AV error in the Download dialog when querying latest TC download links
* Fixed: recount the marked items after installing Total Commander update
* Fixed: a messagebox was accidentally kept in the code of Beta 4 (for debug reasons)
* Fixed: never save the running instance of TU to the ExceptionList section & ignore if exists
* Fixed: application main form height was improper on first run (with clean ini)
* Fixed: sometimes the main window of Total Updater haven't got the focus after start
* Fixed: disable "Send to IDM" popup item when WebID is not available
* Fixed: some other issues...
[/face]

Bluestar

@krasusczak: Thanks for testing it - I'll see what can I do about the Config tab in the next versions. :)
Last edited by Bluestar on 2013-09-15, 09:18 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gerby

Post by *Gerby »

Hi Bluestar!
Bluestar wrote:@Gerby:
Is DB updating works fine in the latest version for you?
Sorry, I could not yet test this, because since Beta4 there hasn't been a separate database update. Do you have a trick how to trigger a database update?

About Plugins: Although the installation function is checked on the Configuration page, new plugins are actually downloaded but not installed. Nothing happens after I click OK in the download dialog box. Does Total Updater check for write access in the Total Commander directory tree and then decide to ignore the installation request?

BTW: Has the following been mentioned already? Total Updater is listed two times on the Update page, once in "Other addons" and once in "Total Updater".

Greetings
Gerby
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Gerby wrote:BTW: Has the following been mentioned already? Total Updater is listed two times on the Update page, once in "Other addons" and once in "Total Updater".
Confirmed! Maybe it is a good idea to move the Total Updater section to the top. There are regular database (and program) updates anyway, so those would be directly visible.

Also it might be of use to create a separate group for Ultra TC Editors, since it is now listed 7 times, only the tooltip shows the different executables.

Regards, EricB
yeskky

Post by *yeskky »

Bug report.
It can't remember last selected language. After restart it still remains English. My language is S.Chinese.
#222405 Single user licence
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It can't remember last selected language.
Hmm, I cannot confirm this - here it remembers both Danish and Chinese Simplified
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@Gerby:
I just released a new DB update - for future tests you can make a backup of your current "database.dat" file besides "TotalUpdater.ini", then set "ForceUseExtDB=True" in the [Configuration] section with TU having closed. This way it is forced to load the external database, no matter its newer than the built-in or not. (of course its strongly adviced to change it back to False after doing the tests)

TU updates each file after they're successfully downloaded, so normally it all happens before you could click the OK button. :) First it checks if the tempdir (set in its INI) is writable, then checks if it is able to copy the unpacked files to their original place (fails in case it doesn't have the rights to write to the given dir - this way you only see "100%" in the list of Download for a given file, and not "Updated"). I may add a new messagebox which warns the user if TU doesn't have the rights to overwrite the original files...
EricB wrote:
Gerby wrote:BTW: Has the following been mentioned already? Total Updater is listed two times on the Update page, once in "Other addons" and once in "Total Updater".
Confirmed!
Thanks for reporting it! Going to be fixed in the next version, the current instance shouldn't be listed in the "Other addons" section.
I was running TU from a dir outside TC, so haven't seen this problem before..

Honestly I don't really plan to add even more categories to the list, this way I could create one for "ButtonBar Extended" (2 exe), "TC Migrator" (3 exe) etc.
I'd rather find some way to show their real name instead of the local package if multiple items exists with the same name, but this isn't always possible in case their ProductName is not filled (not the case with UltraTCEditor, but may be with some other addon)..
As of now, you can simply exclude them from the list, and keep only one instead.

Hmmm, moving TU to the top, not a bad idea... I'll consider it, thanks.

@yeskky:
Cannot reproduce the problem - may it be the case that your "TotalUpdater.ini" file (or its directory) is not writable / no rights for the app to modify it? Could you please test it by putting TU to a directory which it surely can modify (e.g. %APPDATA%\Temp or %TEMP%)?
Otherwise, in case you open the TotalUpdater.ini file, what key do you see in the [Language] CurrentLng section?

Edit: The new DB was incorrectly uploaded (my fault, sorry) - updating it may went well, but it was not loaded because of the wrong files in the package - so it may still showed "Update available" for you. Fixed in these moments (12:00UTC+1), now it should update itself correctly. Sorry for the inconveniences.

:!: 2All:
Please report every single plugin / addon / utility that you see as "Unknown." in your list after searching for updates (even the ones that are not on totalcmd.net!), so I can add them to the internal database. If you find one that has an improper local version value, please report it too.
Just select them in TU and press Ctrl + Shift + C then paste their data here / feel free to mail me, so with your help I can put all these unknown plugins to the database thus filling the gaps in it. Thanks for all of your help.

Regards,
Bluestar