SystemInfo 2.8

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Nigurrath

Post by *Nigurrath »

@waelder and all

could you check if this code works on NT/95? It's a new way to get MAC address and other interesting information that should work on all the win systems (uses the same API of IPCONFIG or WinIPcfg)

If it works I'll insert it into the next release of SistemInfo!

http://web.cefriel.it/~frumento/uploads/Programs/viewnic.exe

TAL for testing!
always latest 32b TC on a WIN10 64b
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Nigurrath
Thanks for your systeminfo plugin! I have a suggestion, though: Could you please limit the plugin to ONLY the file dummy.systeminfo? I ask because users may actually have other files with extension 'systeminfo', which they can no longer view then.

Btw, why did you write this as a lister plugin? Wouldn't a file system plugin be better suited? You could have several files named processor.txt, networking.txt etc., and when the user presses F3, it would show the report in a normal lister window. What do you think?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Nigurrath

Post by *Nigurrath »

@Ghisler
Only to dummy.systeminfo, ok it's not a problem. I never thought that other systeminfo files could exist in the sytem, anyway it's not a problem. Of couse that's a workaround because you can always see the original file content switching the lister's mode to text (1) or any non multimedia. Anyway no problems to do it :)

About the file system plugin, it's a good idea, I mainly started it as lister, because it's interface is simpler and allowed me to reuse code I already wrote in the past (that now is into DigTheSystem).

Anyway it's a good idea (!!) and after the plugin will be completed (no other system informations to add to and perfect compatibility with all Win systems) I'll try to create also a file system extension with same functions!!

What about the proposed NIC solution? Do it works in other systems (I have only ME and 2000/XP here around).

BR
Nigurrath

Post by *Nigurrath »

Hi a new version of systeminfo 2.9.2 is out

http://web.cefriel.it/~frumento/uploads/Programs/wlx_SystemInfo.zip

At the end of this post there's the delta of this release.

One comment for @waelder and Ghisler
:arrow: I used a new way to calculate the NIC informations, using SNMP query directly to the sytem and it works fine. Plz test on other systems such as 95/NT.
:arrow: I had a look at the last used information and it seems that the only support OS give to this is through the API

Code: Select all

GetSlowAppInfo()
(the registry doesn't contains such informations). As MSDN claims it has to be used only by the Add/Remove cpl file (system32/appwiz.cpl) and effectively it's the only file in the whole system that directly call this API. Apparently there are no other ways to get these informations a part invoking the appwiz.cpl and reading the resulting html pages it produces. Any idea on this is welcome I have only this idea (:idea:): read the creation date of the installation folder (but is ok?) :?: it seems to not be so simple :shock: :shock:

Any help is welcome..it's time to speed up this forum to technical things afterall, as in the best traditions of programming forums, or not :?: :?:

Delta History

2.9.2 Feb 2003
- fixed NIC address was not working on all platforms (on some reported casual numbers)
+ added beside NIC address support for local ports (local loopback interfaces), gateway mask, subnet masks, and NIC Type
- fixed, now doesn't anymore checks for file wih extension .systeminfo, but only for the file called dummy.systeminfo (so other *.systeminfo files are seen as they are). All the possible ways to launch this wlx are now: "dummy.systeminfo", My Computer", "System.ControlPanel", "System.000"
lzvk25

Post by *lzvk25 »

Bug in version 2.9.2, all the following information is missing :

Windows Version as in the kernel

Processor Information
Type
MMX compatible?
MHZ
CoProcessor Presents?
Number of CPUs

Extended Processor Information
CPU String
CPU Speed
Number of CPUs
Family
Model
Stepping

Extended Processor Features
FPU CMOV
VME PAT
DE PSE36
PSE PSNUM
TSC CLFLUSH
MSR DTS
PAE ACPI
MCE MMX
CX8 FXSR
APIC SSE
SEP SSE2
MTRR SS
PGE TM
MCA
3dNow! 3dNow!Ex
SSE MMX

Debugging Information
# CPUs detected
CPU knows CPUID
Highest CPUID
Intel Cache Info EAX
Intel Cache Info EBX
Intel Cache Info ECX
Intel Cache Info EDX
CPU Signature
CPU Feature EBX
CPU Feature ECX
CPU Features
Highest CPUID
CPU Old Intel name
Largest extended CPU feature
CPU Speed from QueryPerformanceFrequency
Final determined speed

Computer Name
Computer/Host Name
Windows95 User Name
WindowsNT/2000/XP User Name

This was already working with version 2.8.1 :(
Memo to Boss : No TC, No Work
bago

Post by *bago »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Btw, why did you write this as a lister plugin? Wouldn't a file system plugin be better suited? You could have several files named processor.txt, networking.txt etc., and when the user presses F3, it would show the report in a normal lister window. What do you think?
This would be like the /proc filesystem under linux :mrgreen: and it's cool!
License #55385
Nigurrath

Post by *Nigurrath »

@lzvk25

what do you mean? That the system doesn't report anything? Could you email me to file produced by DigTheSystem.exe, inside the package (obscure if you like the "personal" informations, placing some X)..just to understand what system you have and why the whole system don't work.

BTW DigTheSystem works fine or not?? :? :?
Nigurrath

Post by *Nigurrath »

@bago and Ghisler

ok, you convinced me, I'll give a look at this just after the beta testing of systeminfo as lister extension will be finished..means that no one else reports me bugs on informations not working or working bad..so tell me :lol: :lol:
Nigurrath

Post by *Nigurrath »

@lzvk25

oh God, I realized what you mean..those info are not dysplayed anymore..herr, a little mistake in the distribution file..I'll fix in these days..be patient betas are made for these errors too :-) :-)
ben hub

Post by *ben hub »

Nigurrath wrote:BTW DigTheSystem works fine or not?? :? :?
DigTheSystem works fine for me :)

however, I notice one difference between the results of SystemInfo and DigTheSystem:

XII. MULTIMEDIA INFORMATIONS
IsInstalled: 1
HasVolumeControl: 1 for DigTheSystem, 0 for SystemInfo
HasSeparateRLVolCtrl: 1 for DigTheSystem, 0 for SystemInfo
lzvk25 wrote:Bug in version 2.9.2, all the following information is missing
I've just downloaded and installed 2.9.2 this morning, I get all these informations correctly !
Benoît
# 4081
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Wouldn’t be a good idea if Christian is fine with it to integrate somehow the SysInfo plug-in with the System Information internal command? The later is quite limited in details and if SysInfo can pass details to TC’s System Information I think it will be great!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Nigurrath

Post by *Nigurrath »

@ben hub
uh :shock: :shock: Really strange, I never realized, because the code is *exactly* the same (same source files too) for both the programs! I'll check!!

Much probably running through an executable or a dll changes results in some way, I'll "Dig" :-) better the used APIs documentation!!

@pdavit
I would be marvellous for me, to become part of TC :-D :-D, but I think that most of the informations reported by SystemInfo would be too much detailed for almost "normal" users (not those on this forum so :-)), btw to CG of course the last word! :roll:

Anyway I'm seriously thinking of transforming this wlx into a wfx that would be a much more usable option ;-)
waelder

Post by *waelder »

Hi Nigurrath,
the V2.8 plugin works here for W98 and WinNT4. The NIC info is the same as from the ipconfig command.
Nigurrath

Post by *Nigurrath »

@waelder
ok, many thanks. Fine! Stay tuned for the next one! :D :D :D

About the bug lzvk25 discovered, as far as I understood it only applies to machines without ethernet cards (real ethernet cards), already fixed, it will be available soon, I also understood how to interpret system logging and report system uptime.

Meanwhile, just FYI the new version will report:

:arrow: on Win NT/2000/XP uptime, reboot history, failures, bluescreens history, application failure history and so on..
:arrow: on Win9x/ME uptime only, but with a maximum of 49,7 days (the system doesn't reports more than this, because of DWORD: 2^32 milliseconds=49,7 days)
Nigurrath

SystemInfo 3.0 beta1

Post by *Nigurrath »

Hi all,
here is a beta1 of the version 3.0 Please report to me malfunctioning :oops:

http://web.cefriel.it/~frumento/uploads/Programs/wlx_SystemInfo.zip

Some fixes and an important feature on Win NT/2000/XP, the dump of system journal! :!:

Please report to me malfunctioning and uncompatibilities (I didn't tested Win95 and WinNT). On Windows3.11 obviouslly the whole program don't work at all :wink: :wink:

------------------------

3.0 Feb 2003
-fixed a little bug that made CPU information to disappear on machines without *real* Ethernet cards
+ added time consumed to calculate reported informations (at the beginning)
+ added detailed log of system events: it behaves differently based on windows systems:
--on Win NT/2000/XP reports uptime, reboot history, failures, bluescreens history, application failure history and so on..see ObtainedInformations.txt in this archive
--on Win9x/ME reports uptime only, but with a maximum of 49,7 days (the system doesn't reports more than this, because of DWORD: 2^32 milliseconds=49,7 days)

BR