Plugin - Git Commander - Git and total commander!

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

Hi

it would be great if there would be some screenshots of configuration and usage ;-)
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
valexiev

Re: Plugin - Git Commander - Git and total commander!

Post by *valexiev »

Unfortunately this plugin is too slow for me to be usable as extra info columns.

If I set a custom column to display the last commit message affecting each file, the file info rows are displayed one by one and it takes say 5s for about 30 files in the panel. Here's my config

Code: Select all

[CustomFields]
Widths3=91,30,-40,60,220
Headers3=Size\nDate\nCommit
Contents3=[=gitcmd.SizeAndBranch]\n[=gitcmd.LastDate]\n[=gitcmd.FallAuthor]: [=gitcmd.FallMessage] ([=gitcmd.FallAge])
Options3=1786|1|96
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Did you sort by one of the GIT columns? If yes, TC has to retrieve all the values in the foreground, which can be very slow.
If no, then the plugin needs to be updated to support the retrieval of fields in a background thread.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jonathanpoulin

Post by *jonathanpoulin »

Hi guys!

Anybody knows if that plugin is available for TC x64 ? If so can't find it here https://github.com/Darthholi/WDX_GitCommander.

Please help,
Thanks
Thanks,
Jonathan Poulin
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

The plugin author stated back in 2017 that he wouldn't have the capacities to do it by himself. The GitHub project hasn't been updated since its last release in April 2015.
jonathanpoulin

deus-ex wrote: 2021-01-22, 13:32 UTC The plugin author stated back in 2017 that he wouldn't have the capacities to do it by himself. The GitHub project hasn't been updated since its last release in April 2015.
Thanks for the follow-up! Do you know if there is somewhere another plugin (x64) that adds Git information in TC ?
Thanks,
Jonathan Poulin
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Sorry, I don't.
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

I could easily recompile that repository in Visual Studio while also updating to latest libgit2. Thus, working on it, but needs some more clean up, since a modified libgit2 was used previously.

Does anyone know the meaning of the Fall* fields? Are the Last* fields are needed?

Code: Select all

"LastMessage","LastAuthor","LastMail","LastDate", "LastAge",
  "FallMessage","FallAuthor","FallMail","FallDate", "FallAge",
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
jonathanpoulin

tbeu wrote: 2021-01-23, 21:17 UTC I could easily recompile that repository in Visual Studio while also updating to latest libgit2. Thus, working on it, but needs some more clean up, since a modified libgit2 was used previously.
Oh great! Thanks for your time buddy! :o
Thanks,
Jonathan Poulin
NoSubstitute

Post by *NoSubstitute »

Just as I google for exactly this, I see that someone is working on it, amazing!
Last edited by NoSubstitute on 2021-01-26, 15:54 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

tbeu wrote: 2021-01-23, 21:17 UTC Does anyone know the meaning of the Fall* fields? Are the Last* fields are needed?
The meaning of the "fallthrough" and "last" values is (briefly) explained in a code comment in gitcmd.cpp https://github.com/Darthholi/WDX_GitCommander/blob/master/gitcmd.cpp#L54:
enum EGitWantSrc{ENone,EThisCommit,ELastAffecting,ELastFallthrough};//the checkout-commit where we stand, the last commit affected file OR empty, the last commit affected file OR currentcheckout
How those enum values correspond to the Last* and Fall* fields should become apparent by looking at the switch block in the function ContentGetValue in the same gitcmd.cpp file. (https://github.com/Darthholi/WDX_GitCommander/blob/3d22fe2ad631ec4bffa93add98264ec4632dc475/gitcmd.cpp#L466-L504)

I am not a user of this plug-in. But it looks to me that the Last* fields are providing values only for files that were affected by the last commit and thus not providing any values for files that haven't been committed so far. Whereas i guess the Fall* fields are providing values for both committed files as well as files that were "checked out" (i guess "checkout" is meant to refer to files that are part of the file set cloned from the original repository).

Whether users of this plug-in would want/need the Last* fields i cannot tell. If it is difficult to keep those fields working with an unmodified libgit2, i would suggest to release a new plug-in version without those fields first and see how the plug-in users respond. But please keep the download of the old plug-in version still easily discoverable, so users who update to the new plug-in and find themselves missing the Last* fields can easily downgrade to the old plug-in version again...

I could easily recompile that repository in Visual Studio while also updating to latest libgit2. Thus, working on it, [...]
👍 👏 💐 🍺
nickih

Post by *nickih »

Does this plugin works? I'm interested, too.
On Github, there are no changes or updates. Can you share your Plugin modifications to 64Bit. This would be great.

Regards Nicki
NoSubstitute

Post by *NoSubstitute »

I'm fairly sure it's been stated above that it does not work on 64 bit.
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Version 2.0.0 with 64-bit support finally is available from totalcmd.net.
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
NoSubstitute

Post by *NoSubstitute »

tbeu wrote: 2021-01-30, 20:56 UTC Version 2.0.0 with 64-bit support finally is available from totalcmd.net.
The plugin installed fine, but I totally don't understand how to use it. :-)

I can create a custom column view, by just right-clicking one of the columns and adding a custom column, with the SizeAndBranch, CommitDate, FileStatus & CommitMessage columns, and seem they give correct info, even though CommitMessage is empty everywhere I look, and directories all only have <DIR> in the SizeAndBranch column.

I don't understand how to "create plugin defined hints".

MouseOver folder doesn't seem to give me any information.

I can't find anything in any menu to actually interact with Git. Is that not part of the plugin? I mean the ability to push/pull to/from git?

I'm sorry if I've misunderstood the purpose of the plugin. I thought the main purpose was interact with git, and secondly to display status of files/folders.