Ultra TC Editors 6.42 Final

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2Wilhelm M.
When a new entry in the start menu is created and the path/filename is directly entered into the textbox (i.e. without using the buttton that opens the file selection dialog), then the editor always displays the new entry with the broken link symbol (question mark). Although the link is obviously not broken and the start menu entry works okay in TC.
I know this, but when you restart the program everything will be OK isn't it?
with version 5.00 instead of copy the file path and paste it into the textbox you can drag the file directly into the textbox or into the menu tree. this is the perfect way.

2Sir_SiLvA
After Testing a little bit I found out that your Tool has a Problem when the first Item is menu1=-- ...
this is true! but can i ask you why you set menu1=-- (and how you set it by hand or by TC builtin menu editor) it has no meaning at all. please don't ask me deal with this strange Directory menu structure
(just give me one reason and i will think of dealing with such menu)
to make Directory editor read your menu correctly replace "menu1=--" with "menu1=-"
The size of the "Start and Directory Menu Editor"-Windows is to small at startup - see picture:
http://img105.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img105&image=utcsadme57vg.jpg
are you don't know how to resize a window :P
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

ts4242 wrote:I know this, but when you restart the program everything will be OK isn't it?
with version 5.00 instead of copy the file path and paste it into the textbox you can drag the file directly into the textbox or into the menu tree. this is the perfect way.
But only if you are a mouse-user :P
ts4242 wrote: this is true! but can i ask you why you set menu1=-- (and how you set it by hand or by TC builtin menu editor) it has no meaning at all.
Dont ask me - yesterday I changed it a bit after
a thread with icfu (using both tc intern and a texteditor)...
I just wanted to tell you that your prg can't handle this menu while tc can...
To make your PRG perfect it would be nice if your PRG could autocorrect this ;-)
ts4242 wrote:
The size of the "Start and Directory Menu Editor"-Windows is to small at startup - see picture:
http://img105.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img105&image=utcsadme57vg.jpg
are you don't know how to resize a window :P
Yes I can resize a Window, but I think of this a bad programming :P
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

2 ts4242:

"I know this, but when you restart the program everything will be OK isn't it?"
Simple answer: no! My "broken" links exist since several weeks. Nothing to do with restarting the program.

"with version 5.00 instead of copy the file path and paste it into the textbox you can drag the file directly into the textbox or into the menu tree. this is the perfect way."

Not really, even though I'm a 90% mouse freak. The UPX example is a good one to explain. In my start menu there are 4 entries that start UPX with different parameters. The most simple way to generate these entries would be to just duplicate them and change the parameters afterwards. This procedure always ends with "broken" links. Okay, I've never tried the drag-and-drop thing, perhaps this is more convenient, but I'll have to change my usual behaviour, however.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2Sir_SiLvA
To make your PRG perfect it would be nice if your PRG could autocorrect this
indeed dealing with such irregular states needs to add so many conditions into the program, and even you did there are still states you cannot predict, therefore the safe way is never edit your menu by hand

if you consider my program is not perfect because such bug then take this: replace "menu1=--" with "menu1=" (just delete the 2 minus)
you will see that my program will read your menu while TC will not.
is this mean TC is not perfect too?

2Wilhelm M.
The UPX example is a good one to explain. In my start menu there are 4 entries that start UPX with different parameters.
Please send me the full line command you type in "Command" field as i see it isn't the file path only but it contain parameters too and maybe the problem is due to your parameters in the same line (why you don't wrote it in "Parameters" field?)
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

ts4242 wrote:2Sir_SiLvA
To make your PRG perfect it would be nice if your PRG could autocorrect this
indeed dealing with such irregular states needs to add so many conditions into the program, and even you did there are still states you cannot predict, therefore the safe way is never edit your menu by hand
f you consider my program is not perfect because such bug then take this: replace "menu1=--" with "menu1=" (just delete the 2 minus)
is this mean TC is not perfect too?
(Sorry If I sounded harsh to you I didn't inteanded to do so - I like your PRGs :-))
No TotalCommander handels the entrys right - they can be:

menuX=-<Text> | Starting a SubMenu
menuY=-- | Ending a SubMenu
menuZ=<Text> |
cmdZ=<the Cmd belonging to menuZ>

TC works with the Ini-FileSystem so the menuX-Entrys are read in a loop
and TC thinks (totally right) when it gets to an entry menuX= (which is the same as if the item doesnt exist) that the menu ends there
(standard reading Ini-Behaviour)

two other "Bugs":
I have entrys like
cd \\\StartUpGuard
cd \\\CDBrenner
cd \\\Services
and so on pointing to fs-plugin they all have the ? as Symbol and not the Star...
Or is this a feature ?

an entry like cd "E:\Eigene Dateien" working in TC without probs
but your Tool gives me once more the ? instead of the star...
is it at least possible for you to implement to autokill these unnessarry quotations ? ;-)

PS: if I would like your PRG I wouldnt tell you any faults I find So please keep the good work ;-)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

2 ts4242:

That was it! I had the command line pars in the command field. There was once an external program that required it this way and since then I always try that first. And in most cases it works in TC, so I forgot that is not the usual way.

But now I know and the problem is solved for me! Thank you very much!
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2Sir_SiLvA
No TotalCommander handels the entrys right - they can be:

menuX=-<Text> | Starting a SubMenu
menuY=-- | Ending a SubMenu
menuZ=<Text> |
cmdZ=<the Cmd belonging to menuZ>
also my program handle the above entry, it is correct strucure

Please return to your menu which you post and
replace "menu1=--" with "menu1=" (just delete the 2 minus and don't type anything after =)

in general TC will not read any Start Menu or Directory Menu start with empty name
(e.g menu1=)

two other "Bugs":
I have entrys like
cd \\\StartUpGuard
cd \\\CDBrenner
cd \\\Services
and so on pointing to fs-plugin they all have the ? as Symbol and not the Star...
Or is this a feature ?
Not bug nor feature, it is defficult to check for the existence of such entry because it dosn't refere to real path and i must read the content of [FileSystemPlugins] section too to see if the wfx plugin file exist or not
anyway i will try
an entry like cd "E:\Eigene Dateien" working in TC without probs
but your Tool gives me once more the ? instead of the star...
is it at least possible for you to implement to autokill these unnessarry quotations ?
i will try too
PS: if I would like your PRG I wouldnt tell you any faults I find So please keep the good work
Thank you

2Wilhelm M.
But now I know and the problem is solved for me! Thank you very much!
Great!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Could you include a possibility to sort the hotkeys by the specific key instead of the modifiers?

W + Alt
W + Ctrl
W + Shift
X + Shift
Z +Ctrl

instead of

Alt + W
Ctrl + W
Ctrl + Z
Shift + W
Shift + X

The point is that the specific keys are the important part of a hotkey combination, not the modifiers. Opera sorts hotkeys like that, for example.

Icfu
This account is for sale
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2icfu
Could you include a possibility to sort the hotkeys by the specific key instead of the modifiers?
yes i could, but this need to rebuild many code procedures to handle these (strange) reverse hotkeys, also recreate another "tc default hotkeys.hky" file

do you think it worth? :(

anyway i will try
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

ts4242 wrote:do you think it worth? :(
Ohoh.. thats the wrong question... now icfu's next answer would be something like since you redo some code implement please a routine to control your tool by voice :P
Hoecker sie sind raus!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@ts4242:
yes i could, but this need to rebuild many code procedures to handle these (strange) reverse hotkeys, also recreate another "tc default hotkeys.hky" file
The recreation of the hotkeys.hky I will gladly do for you, no problem.

To me there is nothing more "strange" than the usual way, listing the important part of a hotkey LAST, since I learned using Opera that the "wrong" way is much more logical and makes it easier to learn hotkeys. Given the basic example of MRT:
bad: Ctrl + M
good: M + Ctrl

So if the user wants to remember the hotkey for Multirename his first thought is M, not Ctrl, this is a huge advantage.
do you think it worth?
If it was not I would not ask for it. I agree that it sounds "wrong" but indeed this way is right. :)

Of course I would like to see the TC help file list the hotkeys correct, too, but as ghisler doesn't seem to have time to think about how things can be made more logical I won't ask him but ask you instead, sorry for that. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

icfu wrote: bad: Ctrl + M
good: M + Ctrl
Sorry but you should have said that this is your opinion cause
for me Ctrl + M makes MORE sense than M + Ctrl
as you press the Ctrl-Key before you press M :P
Hoecker sie sind raus!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

You haven't got the point.

In the end, where is your problem? I made a proposal that won't hurt you at all because it will be optional. If you don't like or understand what the deep sense behind it is, just don't use it and learn hotkeys with the modifiers first, no problem, most sheep will follow the herd, I won't change that.

I prefer learning the keys first because those will keep unchanged in decent setups while their modifiers will change according to the needs.

In general all I say is MY OWN OPINION so please add the "imho" yourself whenever you think I should have said so.

Icfu
This account is for sale
woefdram

Post by *woefdram »

Have to agree with icfu here... although the "physical" order is that you hold Ctrl before pushing M the "meaningful" order is the other way around. When I want to assign a hotkey to a function I am usually interested in which modifiers aren't yet used with a certain key, so sorting on key really makes more sense than sorting on modifier. Imho of course ;)
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

imho: someone must remember the key and the modifier together regardless of the sequence Ctrl + M or M + Ctrl

but because most programs use the modifier first so it is widely natural

about myself i remember the hotkey by the hand movment, that is i first press Ctrl then press the needed key
also i remember the hotkey by the eye memory when i navigate a menu i see the hotkey written with modifier first

don't forget Opera itself write menus hotkey for Open Ctrl+O not O+Ctrl and for Save Ctrl+S not S+Ctrl and so on :wink: