File list shuffler / Randomizer

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lan

Post by *Lan »

Just tried again...

8 click on the Random column sorts the list (243 files)

LAN
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Lan
Hi,

Sorting is Total Commander business. I guess Total Commander rerequests the values which leads to a random sort of random values :D
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Lefteous
TC is probably requesting the values multiple times, and when you return a different value each time, this will lead to confusion. Can you verify that?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
CEUM

Post by *CEUM »

toLeif
mixing text lines is a easy job for MS Excel, if its not flowtext (some tricks required) and not more than 255 charakters per line,import the file as text and work with the random function in annother column ,then sort. If there are more lines than 65000, you have to split the file or work with Access
CEUM
Lan

Post by *Lan »

2Leif

Have a look at this link to randomize lines in text files:
http://www.crystalsoftware.com.au/textpipe/features.html

LAN
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
TC is probably requesting the values multiple times, and when you return a different value each time, this will lead to confusion. Can you verify that?
Not always but in some it doesn't seem to work as expected. One thing I can say for sure is that when a view is sorted by the random column the directory is not sorted properly after entering that directory. In this case the values are requested once.
A general question. Is it intended to reread the values for sorting?
pinky

leading zeroes within random numbers in the misc plugin

Post by *pinky »

2Lefteous:

Hi,

Thanks for the misc plugin.

Is it possible to put leading zeroes before the random numbers? Then all tracks will align perfectly.

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2pinky
Is it possible to put leading zeroes before the random numbers?
Yes no problem. May I ask why it is required?
pinky

Post by *pinky »

2Lefteous:

Hi,

Just to improve the readability and to make it easier to remove the numbers again.

Thanks.
Loc2262

Post by *Loc2262 »

In case this ordering-by-a-random-column turns out not to do everything that is required for MP3 files copying: a while ago I made a little external tool for the exact same purpose (filling memory cards with a random selection from my MP3 collection).

It is a command line tool which you pass some parameters like base source directory, number of MB to copy, destination, and switches like whether the full path should be added to destination files, if subdirs should be searched, if the destination should be emptied before copying, if files already existing in the destination should be taken into account when calculating how many MB to copy, and you can specify a regular expression as a search pattern and it will copy only files that match the pattern.

It will then display a copy progress window and copy files randomly until the size limit is reached. I start this tool through a function key assignment in TC where you can nicely put variables for the source and target path you have open in your TC panes.

If there's interest, I can put that tool up for download on my page.
Gruß,
Frank
Lan

Post by *Lan »

2Loc2262

Yes, I would be interested in trying it out you tool

LAN
DWA

Post by *DWA »

Loc2262 wrote:In case this ordering-by-a-random-column turns out not to do everything that is required for MP3 files copying: a while ago I made a little external tool for the exact same purpose (filling memory cards with a random selection from my MP3 collection).

It is a command line tool which you pass some parameters like base source directory, number of MB to copy, destination, and switches like whether the full path should be added to destination files, if subdirs should be searched, if the destination should be emptied before copying, if files already existing in the destination should be taken into account when calculating how many MB to copy, and you can specify a regular expression as a search pattern and it will copy only files that match the pattern.

It will then display a copy progress window and copy files randomly until the size limit is reached. I start this tool through a function key assignment in TC where you can nicely put variables for the source and target path you have open in your TC panes.

If there's interest, I can put that tool up for download on my page.
Frank:
Just new to this board and picked up on the above in my search for a random generator to move selections (over 3000) of mp3 files to my CD/DVD burner for use in my car.

I also note that board member LAN has a similar interest.

Would it be possible to download a copy of your software?
Loc2262

Post by *Loc2262 »

Yepp I'll fine-tune it a bit and put it up on my website the next days. I'll announce that here in this thread then.
Gruß,
Frank
Lan

Post by *Lan »

2DWA ... and Loc2262/Frank and a bit Lefteous :-)

If the randomizer plugin from Lefteous works together with the burner plugin from Loc2262/Frank, you will have an excelent tool for burning CD's with randomized MP3's.

Something to try when I get home from work...

2Loc2262/Frank
Looking forward to trying out your tool.

LAN
Lan

Post by *Lan »

2Loc2262
Loc2262 wrote:Yepp I'll fine-tune it a bit and put it up on my website the next days. I'll announce that here in this thread then.
Looking forward to try it.

In the mean time I tried the randomizer plugin together with the burner plugin. They do sadly not work together. It would be a great tool if they did. Then you could burn randomized MP3's to a CD directly in TC.

Maby something for a future release...

LAN