TC IrfanView Plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AkulaBig

Re: TC IrfanView Plugin

Post by *AkulaBig »

Matthias030 wrote: 2021-09-09, 19:28 UTC Just to let you know that I like your plugin.
Thank you for the high assessment of the work done.
Matthias030 wrote: 2021-09-09, 19:28 UTC I have used Imagine plugin for a very long time.
Me too. But Imagine is not updated and has long ceased to meet modern requirements. Modern WebP and animated ones are not viewed either, RAW format. That's why I decided to write a plugin on IrfanView.
Matthias030 wrote: 2021-09-09, 19:28 UTC After installing optional Irfanview plugins, I have changed wincmd.ini entries to these ones to support additional filetypes:
I have prescribed only those extensions that can be used in the portable version of TC and IrfanView. But the plugin allows you to view other extensions as well. So you did everything right. Just don't forget to add these extensions to i_view32.ini or i_view64.ini. So that the plugin picks them up when scrolling files with the mouse wheel.
Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2021-09-09, 19:55 UTC EPS are perfectly previewed by ULister with the Oracle files, without any need for Ghostscript.
That's right. I am using uLister and I do not want to miss this great plugin for viewing different MS Office documents and other file formats. :-) Regarding EPS files, rendering quality is better in Irfanview compared to uLister. Antialising option is enabled in both plugins.
AkulaBig wrote: 2021-09-10, 04:28 UTC I have prescribed only those extensions that can be used in the portable version of TC and IrfanView.
My TC/Irfanview installation is completely portable. I have extracted Irfanview, Irfanview plugins and Ghostscript into the TC plugins folder. Works great. However my list of extensions is too long for me. I will remove some video formats as I do not need AVI support etc. in Irfanview plugin.

One wish for the next plugin release: Would it be possible to support Irfanview hotkeys? Zoom is only possible by clicking on the toolbar icon. I want to use Irfanview default keys "+" and "-" for zoom operations.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Matthias030 wrote: 2021-09-10, 09:01 UTC Ghostscript into the TC plugins folder. Works great.
I didn't know. I will test it and include it in the plugin, if possible.
Matthias030 wrote: 2021-09-10, 09:01 UTC [Would it be possible to support Irfanview hotkeys?
If you double-click on the image and switch to the IrfanView fullscreen mode, all IrfanView hotkeys will become available. I would like to use hotkeys myself and for simple viewing, but I don't know how to do it yet.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Version 1.1:
+ added the ability to connect a separate IrfanView for each bit depth
Total Commander.
* minor internal changes.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

AkulaBig wrote: 2021-09-10, 11:04 UTC Version 1.1:
+ added the ability to connect a separate IrfanView for each bit depth
Total Commander.
* minor internal changes.

2AkulaBig

better open an own thread here in Plugins-forum for your plugin,
where you can modify the opening post always yourself with new details and link to newest version.
For example use Subject "IrfanView WLX-Plugin (Lister)"

Here in between, your updates will get lost and nobody knows which is the most current version.

Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

AkulaBig wrote: 2021-09-10, 10:53 UTC
Matthias030 wrote: 2021-09-10, 09:01 UTC Ghostscript into the TC plugins folder. Works great.
I didn't know. I will test it and include it in the plugin, if possible.
Not sure if it would be allowed to bundle GhostScript with your plugin.

What I did is downloading GS and extract it to the plugins folder inside the Irfanview subfolder of your plugin. Then adding the relative path to i_view64.ini:

Code: Select all

[Ghostscript]
GS_DLL=.\Plugins\GhostScript\bin\gsdll64.dll
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Stefan2 wrote: 2021-09-10, 12:50 UTC better open an own thread here in Plugins-forum for your plugin
I didn't plan a wide discussion of the plugin. But when I saw that a topic was opened here and interesting questions appeared, I decided to join the discussion. But there is nothing else to add to the plugin. At most, you will be able to fasten the IrfanView hotkeys. Therefore, I think that there is no reason to open a separate topic with links.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

There are issues downloading the plugin from totalcmd.net:
  • Firefox refuses to initiate the download. The details show a warning message regarding an insecure connection (screenshot). The user can opt to download the file anyways.
  • Opera doesn't start the download either but does not give any information. The download can be initiated by right-clicking the download link but will not be completed.

So I gave TC IrfanView Plugin 1.1 a test run. Here are my remarks:
  • The reported problem regarding quick view (see my first post) was solved by simply removing the fullscreen option.

• Total Commander's shortcuts are not supported (like F = Fit to screen, N = Next image, etc.).

• There is no option to have the images fit to screen in normal display mode. Only when toggling the fullscreen option (double-click on display area) the image resize options are active. Note: To exit fullscreen mode you have to press the ESC key. Double-clicking again does not work, contrary to what you might expect.

• Clicking the dropdown zoom menu doesn't do anything. You have to click the plus/minus buttons next to it instead.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

deus-ex wrote: 2021-09-10, 15:50 UTC There are issues downloading the plugin from totalcmd.net:
  • Firefox refuses to initiate the download. The details show a warning message regarding an insecure connection ([url=https://imgur.com
Here in Germany there is no problem to load the plugin from Totalcmd.net using Firefox.
I just did it again to load the updated version.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Horst, thanks for your feedback. Which version of Firefox do you actually use? Here I'm on the beta channel, and I think with v93.x the security measures just got increased.

I did not have any such experiences with previous releases of Firefox (e.g. v92.x) which used to download from totalcmd.net without any such security alerts.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Currently I have Firefox 92.0 (64-bit)
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Yeah, I figured as much. So you have something to look forward to when Firefox v93.x gets promoted to the main release channel. :)
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

deus-ex wrote: 2021-09-10, 15:50 UTC N = Next image
It works perfectly. Check the wincmd.ini settings so that this option is enabled. And don't forget that this option only works with selected files.
deus-ex wrote: 2021-09-10, 15:50 UTC The reported problem regarding quick view (see my first post) was solved by simply removing the fullscreen option.
I didn't edit this option.
deus-ex wrote: 2021-09-10, 15:50 UTC There is no option to have the images fit to screen in normal display mode.
Use the IrfanView ini files included in the archive.
deus-ex wrote: 2021-09-10, 15:50 UTC Double-clicking again does not work, contrary to what you might expect.
It works at least how many times.

Your complaints relate to the work of IrfanView itself. There's nothing I can do about it. In the beta version of the plugin, I turned off the IrfanView toolkit altogether. Then the plugin would behave like the original Lister. That is, there is only viewing and that's all. But the testers from the Russian forum asked to leave the opportunity to use the IrfanView toolbar. Of course, it is very inconvenient for the plugin concept, but it makes navigation more convenient. This only adds to my headache. So you need to accept the plugin as it is, or not use it. The only thing I can still do is add IrfanView hotkeys. Perhaps it will be possible to do this, then it will become even more convenient to work.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

AkulaBig wrote: 2021-09-10, 18:01 UTC It works perfectly. Check the wincmd.ini settings so that this option is enabled. And don't forget that this option only works with selected files.
Apologies, you are correct. I never had to resort to this option, since I always either used a dedicated image viewer or a lister plugin that handled these functions just fine.

AkulaBig wrote: 2021-09-10, 18:01 UTC I didn't edit this option.
My bad, you are correct again. I couldn't find the option "start in fullscreen mode" anymore, so I figured you had it removed. I expected it to be located either in the tab "Fullscreen / Slideshow" or "Viewing", even maybe in "Zoom / Color management" or "Browsing / Editing". So I closely reviewed every config tab until I found it on the least expected location, the tab "Startup / Exit options".

Mind you that when enabling this option that Total Commander's quick view function becomes unusable.

AkulaBig wrote: 2021-09-10, 18:01 UTC Use the IrfanView ini files included in the archive.
To which setting in i_view32/64.ini are you referring? The only INI-key I found regarding image fitting is named FitWindowOption in the [Viewing] section, but this only works when viewing in fullscreen mode.

Also, if IrfanView is installed in a different location than the plugin, to which i_view32/64.ini does the plugin refer? For instance, I had to locate the IrfanView program folder outside of the TC IrfanView Plugin's folder to get it to work properly.

AkulaBig wrote: 2021-09-10, 18:01 UTC It works at least how many times.
Viewing an image in your lister plugin in normal window mode, to activate the fullscreen mode I have to double-click in the image viewing area. When in fullscreen mode, double-clicking doesn't exit fullscreen mode but a dialog "Browse subfolders" pops up. The only option I found to exit fullscreen mode is pressing the ESC key.

AkulaBig wrote: 2021-09-10, 18:01 UTCYour complaints relate to the work of IrfanView itself. There's nothing I can do about it. In the beta version of the plugin, I turned off the IrfanView toolkit altogether. Then the plugin would behave like the original Lister. That is, there is only viewing and that's all.
Interesting. Would you be able to add an option/INI-directive that toggles this functionality, so that the plugin can behave like the original lister?
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

deus-ex wrote: 2021-09-10, 19:22 UTC The only INI-key I found regarding image fitting is named FitWindowOption in the [Viewing] section, but this only works when viewing in fullscreen mode.
This is exactly the option I was talking about. It should have the value Fit Window Option=3. It works when viewed by F3. In full-screen mode, the PropPage option works and it should have the value PropPage=6.
deus-ex wrote: 2021-09-10, 19:22 UTC Also, if IrfanView is installed in a different location than the plugin
It would still be better to move the IrfanView ini file there. Or you can register these two options and extension associations there yourself.
deus-ex wrote: 2021-09-10, 19:22 UTC double-clicking doesn't exit fullscreen mode
This is true. I just didn't understand the translation.
deus-ex wrote: 2021-09-10, 19:22 UTC Interesting. Would you be able to add an option/INI-directive that toggles this functionality, so that the plugin can behave like the original lister?
It is not difficult to do this, but then the viewing will be very inconvenient. On the contrary, I want to tell you the good news that I have learned to intercept keystrokes in IrfanView and now you can use IrfanView hotkeys during normal viewing. And the zoom window in the toolbar works. I'll test this new option a little more and post an update.