Your name on the title bar!

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

What's your thought over having your name displayed on TC's title bar?

- I like it and I don't want to see any change whatsoever!
14%
- I don't like it at all; get rid of it!
16%
- The best approach is to make it optional/configurable.
47%
- I'm not a fan but I respect and understand the licensing implications.
9%
- I don't really care to be honest!
13%
- Other (please make a post)
1%

Total votes: 367

sekular

Remove real name from title bar

Post by *sekular »

Seriously.

I have brought this up before and so have many people before me. It is simply not acceptable to have such a massive data leak in the OS that you are using. I do not use my real name anywhere, but if i want to use totalcmd legitimately i am forced to have my real name in the title bar. For so many reasons this is a massive security problem.

I request that you remove the real name in the title bar at the next update.

There is no rational reason to have such a big data leak.

Why not replace it with the word "registered"?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Remove real name from title bar

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I would call this as a liitle bit paranoid :D
I'm shure that your real name is stored on many places of your PC.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Remove real name from title bar

Post by *Stefan2 »

sekular wrote:Why not replace it with the word "registered"?
Please search the forum. There is the answer already posted often.

Ghost Dog

Post by *Ghost Dog »

I vote for having an option to not have your name displayed all the time in the title bar.

I didn't think it would bother me, but it does. It is very annoying.

(Not to mention the fact that I have a "non-ASCII"/"UNICODE" name, so, technically, it isn't even my name I'm looking at right now, but hopefully Christian is working on it.)

Cheers!
Guillaume

Post by *Guillaume »

Just imagine the possibilities improving functionality if it could be customized 8) :oops:
TC^ - LeftPaneFolder | RightPaneFolder
(^ = running as Administrator, is is the case right now)
giulia

Post by *giulia »

hi
i voted yes , but can i add my name only or another title to the in the title bar?
thanks
love Total Commander , best file manager ever made
Twilight

Post by *Twilight »

I just made an account to share this.

The name in the title bar is the only reason I haven't registered Total Commander yet. It's just not an option having my real name on the screen.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

If you otherwise like and use the program, you can still do the right thing, send author some money, and then not use the licence key, if you hate seeing your name that much. ;)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can also register to the name of your company, institution, University etc. where you work or study...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
rilley

Post by *rilley »

Hello,

Can I buy the license on company and the license to be registered as company but in the title bar to show different name?

Thank you
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, just use the reseller/gift order page:
https://www.ghisler.com/resellkey.htm

Enter the end user in the fields at the bottom ,"Additional Information ", and the reseller address in the fields at the top, "Billing Information".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
rilley

Post by *rilley »

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I also want to ask, if I buy the license, it will also work with older versions of TC?

For example for 32bit Total commander versions:

7.04a

?

EDIT: After some research I found https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=49147&highlight=licence+license but I want to confirm

Thank you
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2rilley
The licence key was changed from 128 bytes to 1024 bytes in january 1997 from TC 3.01, but since then it has been unchanged.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Perplexer

Re: Your name on the title bar!

Post by *Perplexer »

This thread dates back to 2004 and since it's still "relevant" in 2018, I guess we can't expect anything to change.

Still, I think it's only fair for everyone to voice his/her opinion on the matter. I personally feel that having a real name in the title bar is just as bad as having someone else's name in there (ie. using a "dirty" copy of TC). There are some privacy concerns when having your real name displayed like that. I have seen people complaining that they're having a difficult time when taking screenshots or streaming, which is something that's popular now and may not have been in 2004. I would also feel uncomfortable using TC on a laptop (again, way more common now than in 2004) in a public place where students / colleagues / strangers could glance at my screen and see my name while walking by.

I do agree with another poster who said he never registered TC for exactly that reason - real name in the title bar. If it's giving you privacy issues and makes you waste time with editing/censoring when streaming / making screenshots for example, then you might as well have another person's name up there, and have it for free, if you know what I mean. It definitely IS a deal breaker for some people, me included. I wouldn't mind seeing "Total Commander - Perplexer" in the title bar. But my real name or my place of study/work? No thanks!

I haven't seen any other programs with this issue before (at least not any that I use). I don't mind the name being written somewhere in the About window. This is actually very common to other programs as well. But being permanently displayed in the program's title bar is just too unorthodox. Maybe it's time TC changes this policy.
Perplexer

Re: Your name on the title bar!

Post by *Perplexer »

I found a small little program that allows you to change the title bar text of a running program. It's not a permanent change (it changes the text in the computer memory) but it is a nice solution for those who want to temporarily remove their real names from the TC title bar when making screenshots or videos, so they don't have to deal with censoring / blacking out names in post-production.

The program is called "Title Changer 1.0". You just run it and it will stay in the tray bar. Then you bring TC to the front, press the Scroll Lock key and change the title bar text. Note: If you minimize or maximize the window, it will reset the title bar text, so try to avoid doing that while taking screenshots / recording.

Found it here.