[Wish] Support of file type copy in background transfer

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

andrea

[Wish] Support of file type copy in background transfer

Post by *andrea »

Hi,
Tc supports a very useful feature of copying only some file types (lower combo in the copy/move dialog). This is very useful for selective copy of large directory trees. The bad part is that when I select some file types and press F2 to queue it to the background transfer manager (other great feature btw!), the function is not supported. :(
Are there any plans to make this available? Maybe already shortly in the great TC7? :roll:

Please let me use this opportunity to thank the whole TC team for this incredible piece of software!!!!! It made my life easier.

Andrea
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The problem is that the user can add files/directories at a later time to the btm. I don't currently see how I could handle these filters in this situation.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
andrea

Post by *andrea »

I see the problem.
I would propose two possible ways:
1) each file matching the criteria is added singularly to the background transfer window. So the user is aware which files are copied (snapshot taken at the "generation" time)
2) dir and mask are provided to the background transfer manager and while each element of the tree is processed for copying it is verified if it matches the given file mask (snapshot taken at the "processing" time)

In fact the problem in principle arises during every background transfer. While copying a path tree (e.g. .\temp of the example below) the user could modify (changing/ adding/ deleting) files in the dir1 during the process of the subsequent ones. As it is not visible in the background transfer manager window in which subdir it is the user is uncertain about what was copied. To me it was always (implicitly) clear that a snapshot of the files taken at the processing is processed. :?

.\temp\dir1\
.\temp\dir2\
.\temp\dir3\
.\temp\dir3\
.\temp\file1
.\temp\file2

In this sense solution 2) seems to me more in line with the current implementation philosophy [based on my understanding]. The disadvantage is that is probably more difficult to implement and should have a slightly longer execution time. Solution 1) seems to me more straightforward and easier to understand to the user, but may create some philosophy discrepancies ... :roll:
Solution 1) would have also the advantage that you can pause the transfer and review all the added files, eventually removing some of them, making the copy-mask tool even more flexible. :lol:

thx,
Andrea