Rhino3d lister plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sosna

Rhino3d lister plugin

Post by *Sosna »

Good day.

Is there a Rhino3d plugin (3dm format) - there is a format description as I know? Or can anybody make such one?
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I love Rhino! Best user interface for 3-D on the planet!

In the distant past (v1.1, I think) there was an ActiveX control (now deprecated) one could use to build a viewer for Rhino files. I actually made such a viewer, though lost the project in a fixed-disk failure a long tme ago.

A new version of Rhino (4.0) is about to be released (spring, 2007). When it is, I will ask if there is a new version of the control available and make an attempt at a lister plugin.

If you are more up-to-date on Rhino development than I and already know of such a control, please point me to it and I will see what I can see...
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Is there any plugin for Internet Explorer? If yes, then you can use the IEview plugin in Lister. You will have to add the relevant extension(s) manually to the IEview configuration file. I also recommend that you remove htm and html if you don't want to use ieview for html (for security reasons).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Is there any plugin for Internet Explorer?
Well, actually, installing Rhino installs a property page in Windows Explorer. Select a .3dm model file and choose properties from the Context menu for that file. The additional tab in the properties dialog shows a static preview of the model.

The deprecated control allowed live-rotation, panning, etc, and the plugin I envision would offer a standard 4-way view into the file with all the customary navigation aids.

Dependent on the capabilities of the Rhino control, if any there be.

(Naturally... ;) )
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

http://www2.rhino3d.com/resources/display.asp?language=&listing=105 - here is the link to OpenNurbs, as I see, there is a file format description, etc., so maybe this would be useful for plugin developers to make such plugin?
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I have been out of the loop wiith Open Nurbs for too long... maybe someone else with more knowledge, time, and/or skill could step in here?

The code to convert the file data to a navigable 3-D graphical representation in a window/control is non-trivial. Lots of matrix math and decisions about algorithms for 2-D -> 3-D transforms, anti-aliasing, hidden line removal, z-buffers, etc. You get the picture. To make such an effort for a TC plugin would be a labor of... well, you know, maybe craziness?

I'll watch for something (like an ActiveX control) from McNeel, instead. "Them guys get the big bucks!" :?

By the way, you might check out the Rhino demo download. Though I haven't checked it recently, and the ability to save a file does expire after the demo period, it used to be that you could continue to use the demo version to open files and navigate them. You could hide all the toolbars and make a nice standalone viewer, with the advantage that Rhino (even the demo) opens nearly every 3-D format, not just .3dm.

No TC QuickView, though, in that circumstance.
Last edited by JohnFredC on 2006-12-18, 19:30 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

JohnFredC - i know about this functionality of Rhino's demo. There're also a lot of soft that can show preview of 3dm, 3d Exploration, for example. Well, I know also about all of this calculations, and my programming skills are in another area, so, I'll seek something like ActiveX too.

Don't you know, maybe autor of 3dMax viewer can do it?
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

I contacted Mike Dejanovic to get some sample 3dm file and a stand-alone version of his GetRhino3dmProperites.dll. Once available a Rhino lister plugin can be quickly developed....

Merry X-mas!
tbeu
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

2tbeu - man, this will be great!

I can send you some 3dm samples, if it will help
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Sosna wrote:I can send you some 3dm samples, if it will help
Please do so and send me a sample 3dm file (including preview bitmap).
Thanks
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

2tbeu
check your mailbox - already done!
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

2tbeu
are there any news with RhinoPreview plugin?
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Sosna, please wait some more days. Mike and I try hard to do our best but this time integration of APIs is not a simple task. Would it be okay for you if this plugin works only in Lister (F3) and Quick View (CTRL+Q) but not in Thumbnail View (CTRL+SHIFT+F1)? You probably know that Thumbnail View is already available from http://www.rhino3d.e-cnc.com/explorer/explorer.htm.
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

tbeu - thx, it was just a question, it wasn't a demand or smth.

well, I know this preview staff, and it would be nice to have same in TC, but if it's possible - you can just make Lister and QuickView part, and then, when you have some more time, you can add also thumbnail feature in next version.
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Have you got a nice Rhino file with TC logo instead of UA logo?