SFTP Plugin problem

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

shammat

SFTP Plugin problem

Post by *shammat »

Hello,

I have a problem using the SFTP plugin. I have created a connection without problems. As we are using a key based authentication I edited the wcx_sftp.ini and added the put use_key_auth=1

I start the pageant, open my private key.

When I then try to open the SFTP connection, I am asked for the username (which is OK) then the plugin asks for a password. As I'm using key based authentication, I don't need one. So what should I enter?

When I leave it blank and press OK, TC just hangs nothing happens. Connecting to the same FTP site using WinSCP2 (with the same running pageant) works without problems.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers
Thomas
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. Try to connect using Putty. If that works, TC should work too!
2. Enter anything (e.g. a dash) as the password, just not an empty password.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
shammat

Post by *shammat »

Yes I can connect using Putty (and WinSCP)

I played around with it. Actually I mixed things up in my first post. When I set use_key_auth=1 then it does not ask me for the password (which is what I expect because the pageant is already running) when I set use_key_auth=0 then it asks me for the passwort (even if the pageant is running) which is ok as far as I can tell.

But it doesn't work either way :(

The plugin directory only contains psftp.dll and plugin_sftp.wcx
Do I need to put any other file there?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like you have only SSH1 keys listed in pageant. SFTP requires SSH2 keys! Did you try SFTP in Putty, or only secure telnet or SCP? Only SFTP requires SSH2 keys.
Last edited by ghisler(Author) on 2003-08-04, 13:53 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
shammat

Post by *shammat »

I found the reason.

The server wasn't actually running SFTP but SCP. WinSCP2 (using the Putty/Pageant authentication libraries) has a fallback mode to SCP if SFTP is not available. It did so without telling me, so I assumed SFTP was working...

Now the server is fixed. SFTP is now working and the plugin works fine!

Thanks for your help

Thomas
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, unfortunately the SFTP plugin doesn't support SCP fallback. The coe would be there, but nobody has built it into the plugin yet. Unfortunately I cannot do it myself because of the Swiss crypto export regulations. :(